• RMweb Gold

We really do need a wow button!  I am starting a campaign, this is more important than any debates currently occupying minds in Westminster ... what do we want? A WOW button .. when we want it .. now!! :yahoo_mini:

Love the modelling inside Shirebrook - this layout has provided so much inspiration, really has generated a bit of extra mojo for me to get on and try something new!

Rich

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, MarshLane said:

We really do need a wow button!  I am starting a campaign, this is more important than any debates currently occupying minds in Westminster ... what do we want? A WOW button .. when we want it .. now!! :yahoo_mini:

Love the modelling inside Shirebrook - this layout has provided so much inspiration, really has generated a bit of extra mojo for me to get on and try something new!

Rich

Perhaps we need a 'Special Thank You' button too!

I am very glad you feel inspired, see you soon

Cheers

Duncan

PS Rich for a full photographic development of Shirebrook please follow link below to my Flickr page,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135257675@N08/

Edited by Duncan.
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Fantastic!

Has that 56 got Glue 'n' Glaze (or similar) windows? They look slightly 'prismatic'.

Hi,

Your detective skills are 100%, I used to use Micro Glaze but it went off and could only find Glue'n' Glaze which I don't like as much. I'm glad you like the photos. That is another loco where I have to add some wipers!

Edited by Duncan.
Additional text

• RMweb Premium
On 19/02/2019 at 19:35, Duncan. said:

Hi Simon, I have attached a  photo of the tape used. I think it's intended to be used on cars and is available from ebay. It comes in various widths and ours is the finest. I cut it down to a suitable width. I hope you find this useful.

Regards Janet

IMG_0942.JPG

Thanks Janet!

I would never have thought to use vinyl tape but it's perfect for it.

SAM_1956.jpeg.d449181704ed0a6940321cbef4c4a40e.jpeg

I'm going to give the bands a coat of matt varnish to take the shine off, but this tape's great.

Thanks again

Simon

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Duncan. said:

Hi,

Your detective skills are 100%, I used to use Micro Glaze but it went off and could only find Glue'n' Glaze which I don't like as much. I'm glad you like the photos. That is another loco where I have to add some wipers!

The windows on this 56 of mine were cut from clear styrene sheet glued in with gloss varnish.

15 minutes ago, MrSimon said:

Thanks Janet!

I would never have thought to use vinyl tape but it's perfect for it.

SAM_1956.jpeg.d449181704ed0a6940321cbef4c4a40e.jpeg

I'm going to give the bands a coat of matt varnish to take the shine off, but this tape's great.

Thanks again

Simon

That tape looks great. I must remember that one!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Shirebrook Running Day 23.02.19

Good Evening All. Today we took great pleasure in welcoming our team of operators and guests to have a play and generally talk model railways. RBE was one of our guests and kindly brought along some of his loco fleet for us to admire and photograph. Here are just a couple of photos of his wonderfully detailed and repainted locos on Shirebrook. Thanks very much Cav and I hope we can repeat the exercise.

IMG_0950.JPG

IMG_0951.JPG

IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_0953.JPG

• Like 15

Great pictures there Duncan.

I must thank you and Janet for making me very welcome during my visit. The layout is an inspiration and has left me with many ideas moving forward.

Anyway here are a few of the photos that I took!

20190223_150151.jpg

20190223_145841.jpg

20190223_150000.jpg

20190223_150314.jpg

20190223_150508.jpg

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

We both thoroughly enjoyed today, and are glad you are home safely. My other guests and I learned a lot and enjoyed the interesting conversations. We started dismantling the layout at 6.45 took us 2 hours until the car was back in its home!

Cheers

Duncan

Shirebrook-The branch to W.H. Davis wagon builders and  repairers.

Most of the stock on Shirebrook, no, all of the stock is weathered to some degree. We all like to run something that is shiny from time to time but nothing in reality stays shiny for very long. During the selection of where to base the model one of the clinchers for making Shirebrook was the location of the wagon builders WH Davis located along the connecting branch to the Lancashire, Derbyshire & East Coast Railway. This gives us the chance to run almost anything and in fresh out of the box condition under the premise that it was built, modified or repaired at the wagon works. In the pictures below you can see that the line to the wagon works leaves the down line to Worksop just north of the Station Road overbridge. The photos show 56027 in Coal Sector livery collecting a short rake of Revolution TEA tanks from the works, where they have had a modification before release to traffic.

Also shown are some 3d renders of a proposed wagon from Cavalex Models, a PGA in Redland or Lefarge liveries, Cavan Millward brought the the already manufactured 4mm version along to my recent running day, and that is a superb model. I ordered a rake of the N scale versions I can use as WH Davis modified examples on Shirebrook, but he needs more orders before tooling can be made. For full details and information please see the Cavalex Models website http://cavalexmodels.com/ and get your order in.

IMG_0955.JPG

IMG_0958.JPG

IMG_0967.JPG

IMG_0972.JPG

N-pga Render 6.png

N-pga Top 2.png

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Morning Everybody,

I hope you were wondering what (if anything) has been happening at Shirebrook. Well not much to the layout itself. I have been making and painting a further 8 MEO 24.5 t minerals (from Parkside kits) I just need to weather them. I have some loco repaints on the go and a set of around 30 Dapol Dogfish wagons to weather too. Weathering I find to be a very time consuming task and I've been short of that lately.

I have been spending much time training for my Yorkshire 3 Peaks challenge and I would appreciate your support to help raise funds for the RNLI. Please follow this link https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/duncan-hunnisett

Thank you in anticipation

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

HI Duncan,

Sounds like your making good progress.  Look forward to seeing the Dogfish rake!  The Refurbished '37/5s' in the last set of pictures look superb!

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, RBE said:

Those are my bad boys Rich!! :)

Hi Cav,

Ah! I did wonder! Can’t bear a pair of Refurb 37s!! Always said I would do 37515 and 37517 as a pair as I used to see them often on the iron ore workings at Barnetby! Really nicely modelled and weathered tho. Have you done any detailing on them - I am assuming they are from the Grafar 37/5 base model?

Rich

• Like 1

Cheers Rich, I was always a fan of 511 with the large numbers.

Not much extra detailing at the moment apart from weathering really. They both have lowered bogie frames though.

I am actually very tempted to do 514 as 37707 following in the footsteps of my old 4mm scale model though.

• Like 1

On 26/04/2019 at 18:17, RBE said:

Those are my bad boys Rich!! :)

Thanks Cav for bringing them along to the running day, they do look great. Rich, do you want to sign up for one of the running days? You never know who might come along!

Cheers Duncan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, RBE said:

Cheers Rich, I was always a fan of 511 with the large numbers.

Not much extra detailing at the moment apart from weathering really. They both have lowered bogie frames though.

I am actually very tempted to do 514 as 37707 following in the footsteps of my old 4mm scale model though.

Thanks Cav - I'll have to drop you a PM about lowering the bogie frames, avoid hijacking Duncan's thread :)  I've started the detailing and repainting on the first of two Dapol Class 56s.  If you decide to redo 707, give it some thought, could take 514 off your hands in exchange for a new base 37/7, save me a bit of work :)

Duncan - yes you've got me on the list! Had it not been for my knee, I'd have been at the last one!

Rich

• Friendly/supportive 1