• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, RBE said:

I didn't know they did a base 37/7? 

Ah! There’s always a snag isn’t there!! I must have been getting mixed up with a OO gauge - which might encounter problems with your trackwork! Sorry Cav!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

Well I 'm back again after my 3 Peaks Challenge, yes I did it; 26 miles, 3 Mountains, and 5,100 feet of climbing all in 9 hours and 50 minutes, thank you.

Just in time for the next Shirebrook running day I've managed to complete the weathering on my rake of 27 MDO and MEO coal wagons. Do you think they look alright? No really please let me know if you have any comment good or otherwise- I appreciate your informed input. Below are my pictures for you to check out.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1135.JPG

IMG_1137.JPG

IMG_1138.JPG

IMG_1139.JPG

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Cracking job on the wagons (and the 3peaks). It's not just me that thinks they are good. I showed my wife quickly and her first reaction was "that's not a model is it? Surely that's a real train". 

Keep up the good work. Your layouts always looking super realistic and s full of motivation for newbies like me. 

All the best

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Duncan,

Would totally agree - superb weathering on those wagons!  I like the distinct variations between the different vehicles.  How have you weathered them - apologies if I have missed something earlier in the thread?

Still amazes me from the photos that this is 2mm :)  I look forward to seeing it soon ... still not able to drive at the moment! :(

Rich

• Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Duncan,

Would totally agree - superb weathering on those wagons!  I like the distinct variations between the different vehicles.  How have you weathered them - apologies if I have missed something earlier in the thread?

Still amazes me from the photos that this is 2mm :)  I look forward to seeing it soon ... still not able to drive at the moment! :(

Rich

9 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Cracking job on the wagons (and the 3peaks). It's not just me that thinks they are good. I showed my wife quickly and her first reaction was "that's not a model is it? Surely that's a real train". 

Keep up the good work. Your layouts always looking super realistic and s full of motivation for newbies like me. 

All the best

Dave

8 hours ago, porkie said:

Superb work Duncan. 

Really like the extra mile that you have gone on those wagons fella.

Keep the updates coming 

Phil 

8 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

Looks real!!

Morning, Thanks for your kind comments. Rich I have weathered the wagons, as I do all the locos. I ask for your views as  I have never seen the real thing, I have to work from photos (Paul Bartlett). My view of the railways as a child was very limited. My Gran used to take me down the Kings Road in St .Leonards-on-sea, to do the shopping, at the end of the road was Warrior Square Station, a tunnel a  platform of 6 carriages length and a tunnel! The only trains I saw were SR electric units and Hastings line diesels, then one day a snarling monster emerged from a tunnel  roaring, I felt quite scared, although I didn't  have a clue what it was at the time, I think it was probably a class 40 or 47......

cheers

Duncan

Edited by Duncan.
additional text

17 hours ago, EWS FAN said:

Excellent work. I really like the look of this layout.

HI,

I have tried to make the layout look different from others. Firstly by setting the layout in 'winter' a british winter, cold damp and dank, this required the use of muted colours and 'dead' vegetation, I have also tried to make the layout look as 'real' as possible, essential ,I think, when modelling a real location.

Cheers

Duncan

Edited by Duncan.
spelling
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The Devil In The Detail...

Here is a single photo from yesterdays  running session, 45019 in the fuel off-loading siding at Shirebrook. It is one of my favourites. I could be very critical of it, but hey it is N Scale and you could argue a cruel enlargement.

What I enjoy most is the scene created, the placement of the figures, the details of the notice, point rodding, pumps and pipework, the speed restriction sign, the overal weathering, the engineers train at the rear across the yard area and the wood beyond that.

In all the scene is only 18 inches deep. That's the other benefit of N Scale, it is possible to do in a limited space. 

I hope you enjoy this photo as much as me

Happy Modelling

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1152 (2).JPG

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

The Devil In The Detail...2

Here are a couple of other details, a single HAA where the bottom doors have failed to open, (part of the coal load remains in the wagon) so the wagon has been detached and left in the down refuge siding for onward movement to the wagon repair depot at Worksop.

20004 (sorry to repeat photo) both 20's are renumbered and weathered but 20004 heavily faded as per photographs from an old issue of Rail magazine.

Janet has started to use real wire (.3mm ) in place of the moulded plastic loads supplied with Farish SPA wagons, we are considering  air brushing in addition to perhaps deepen the shadows...

IMG_1160.JPG

IMG_1162.JPG

IMG_1164.JPG

IMG_1167.JPG

Edited by Duncan.
Additional text
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

2 hours ago, Duncan. said:

The Devil In The Detail...

Here is a single photo from yesterdays  running session, 45019 in the fuel off-loading siding at Shirebrook. It is one of my favourites. I could be very critical of it, but hey it is N Scale and you could argue a cruel enlargement.

What I enjoy most is the scene created, the placement of the figures, the details of the notice, point rodding, pumps and pipework, the speed restriction sign, the overal weathering, the engineers train at the rear across the yard area and the wood beyond that.

In all the scene is only 18 inches deep. That's the other benefit of N Scale, it is possible to do in a limited space. 

I hope you enjoy this photo as much as me

Happy Modelling

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1152 (2).JPG

53 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Superb as ever Duncan.  N Gauge or not, I see very little, if anything, to be critical of!

Rich

Thanks Rich,

I know I'm asking for trouble, however, some work is required on the fuel storage tanks, the weld seams are a little too rough, the tank top walkways still need to be added (and made!), the lamps are devoid of access ladders,( must finish the artwork for the etch) and the led lamps themselves are a bit messy... I have to be honest and say adding the final pieces is hard, as like you and most  others, I can easily sit back and say yeah I like that as it is, and I do..... I have you down for the next running day Rich, probably in August. If anyone else reading this would like to come along to a running day, please PM me.

Cheers

Regards

Duncan

Edited by Duncan.
typo
  • Thanks 1

'Reviewing the Situation'

Hi Everyone,

You may have an inkling that I do criticize my layout and work (from the posts just above)... If you look carefully at the photo below you can see where the Warsop Branch passes through the back scene and goes 'off stage'. It is not so obvious when looking straight across the layout as the depot building is directly in front and so disguises the exit. However at this angle it is very obvious. I have ignored it for too long. In reality Station Road, the road that crosses over the railway at the end of the station platforms (see photo below) turns to the right  after a short distance it bridges the Warsop Branch. I have decided to make a low relief bridge to further disguise the branch exit and show the continuance of the road. 

I will post updates showing progress, but first a little planning and further research!

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1156.JPG

31119901838_33e25be93f_o.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Hi Duncan,

Just a thought, but rather than putting a low relief bridge in, which would alter the scenic surroundings, could a build up of over hanging trees/branches not help to disguise it?

Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs or anything!

Rich

• Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Duncan,

Just a thought, but rather than putting a low relief bridge in, which would alter the scenic surroundings, could a build up of over hanging trees/branches not help to disguise it?

Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs or anything!

Rich

Morning Rich,

Yes that's an idea. Perhaps a drawback is, that the back scene is removable, and gets packed away for travelling to exhibitions. I don't think anything stuck to the back scene would have a very long life. It might well be the only workable solution if my bridge idea proves impossible! Thank you so much for the input, appreciated. You'll get a better idea of the problem when you get over for a running day.

Cheers

Duncan