• RMweb Gold

Hi Duncan,

The photos look good. You have done a superb job with that bridge.  The etched artwork looks good too - being a PDF it does need to be downloaded, but that should be a problem for anyone.  Look forward to see how those bits develop.  Who are you using for the etching? PPD?

Rich

Hi Rich,

Yes PPD are doing the etching....I am pleased with the bridge too, Janet says it looks like it has always been there! My next running day after the August session will be late September, I would like to think that the etches will have been folded up and in place on the layout by then.

Cheers

Duncan

Edited by Duncan.
typo

Constructing the Radio Transmission Mast at Shirebrook

It's been a while coming and a notable omission from the layout but at last its built. A tricky soldering job for sure, a tricky folding job too, it is about a scale 180 feet tall still probably shorter than the real thing but I think it will look ok when on the layout, it's taller than the back scene! I have included some rolling stock and loco in the photos to give a better impression of the size. 

When I finally install the mast on the layout it will fit into an etched base.  The base will be permanently fixed to the 'ground'  but the mast will be de-mountable to prevent 'damage in transit'.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1449.JPG

IMG_1451.JPG

IMG_1452.JPG

IMG_1453.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

Thanks Millerhillboy, and I've had the safety railings that are fitted to the top of the viaduct etched too. and that will be another tricky folding and soldering job. To help I also etched a drilling guide that will be fixed to the capping stones... drill through the etched holes in it, then the posts for the railings will just drop in. Finally it will all be glued in position. Below is a photo of the viaduct as it is at present without the railings.

Cheers

Duncan

20180113_132639.jpg

• Like 2

...and construction of the railings atop the viaduct

I guess there are easier ways to represent railings, perhaps with a simple etch  adjusted to suit the particular location. I wanted a more 3d effect after studying photographs of the prototype. Therefore it became another of my etching projects and I set about doing the artwork (see thread above). My design requires folding and soldering to achieve the final construction.

In the first photo below you can see it partly soldered, the shorter posts towards the top of the photo are folded over 180 degrees and soldered to the railings, the main etch frame is still attached to provide additional support and security against damage during this delicate operation.

The second photo shows the completed railings along with the drilling guide. This is used to accurately drill the capping stones on the viaduct for location of the posts.

As I had some space on the etch I drew up some replacement handrails to replace broken ones on my Dapol Dogfish wagons, just a before and after view, these will get a coat of white paint and weathering to finish off...

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1454.JPG

IMG_1455.JPG

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Duncan. said:

Hi , thanks Millerhillboy, they are not finished yet, the radiomast is panted, but yet to be weathered. It is difficult to see from any angle on photographs but has quite a presence on the layout.

I can imagine it will do, I also bet once installed you'll need to be super careful around about it, I'm bad enough with just regular layout features never mind something as high as that.

PS loved that pair of choppers in your last picture, just how I remember them up at millerhill, pairs out of haymarket with the odd eastfield one as well, noisy and grotty 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, millerhillboy said:

I can imagine it will do, I also bet once installed you'll need to be super careful around about it, I'm bad enough with just regular layout features never mind something as high as that.

PS loved that pair of choppers in your last picture, just how I remember them up at millerhill, pairs out of haymarket with the odd eastfield one as well, noisy and grotty 

Noisy and grotty choppers, yes, but you forgot to add  'but still reliable!':D

Edited by Duncan.
  • Agree 1

Evening Everyone,

I have finished the catwalks and laddering and the radio mast at Shirebrook, note the cabling between the admin block and radio tower and junction boxes on the building.  The etches I drew were very fine and delicate, soldering up was difficult, I'm sure that one of you could do better, the metalwork was painted with a colour from the Humbrol Metalcote range. Trunking and junction boxes built from styrene sections.

IMG_1471.JPG

IMG_1478.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

A Water Tower for Shirebrook?

Hi Everyone, yes there was a water tank atop a tower at the rear of the depot. However, due to slight relocation of the rear siding I have to relocate the water tower. The tower and tank are more bespoke items I have designed. The tank is fully etched (by PPD) to my artwork, there are several layers I have soldered together to give a fully 3d effect.... Details are styrene sections and scrap metal from the etch. The photos below show all four sides, just have the tower to make up now from styrene 'H' and 'I' sections.

The whole lot will be painted (with the air brush) and then heavily distressed/weathered as per the prototype!

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1480.JPG

IMG_1479.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Water Tower Progress... and a question

Hi Everyone,

Below are some photographs showing the construction of the tower. This is all from plastic sections. The small platform beneath the tank  and laddering is etched from my own artwork.

And the question is, Why was the water tank built? it was built at the same time as the depot, was a washing plant planed? One was never built as far as I know, can you help?

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1481.JPG

IMG_1482.JPG

IMG_1484.JPG

IMG_1485.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Hi Everyone!

I am happy to report that the water tower is complete. It is ready to be bedded into the layout. I still have a little weathering and rust to add but apart from that it is ready to go, standing at just over 140mm high it is fairly impressive and with the recently installed radio mast gives a real height boost to the layout.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1491.JPG

IMG_1489.JPG

IMG_1488.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

6 minutes ago, millerhillboy said:

That last picture with the 33 shows just both how good your modelling is and also how far N gauge models have came on. The only thing that draws any attentions is the height of the rail IMO but even that doesn't detract, the foiliage is quite superb.

Thanks for your kind words Millerhillboy... the track is Peco code 55 so not as bad as code 80. When I started to build Shirebrook it was the best available, I do fancy building my own but it's a matter of time ( or rather the lack of it) plus I worry about the robustness of hand built track for exhibitions. Peco  track is strong. The trees are Sea Moss and the undergrowth a mix of scatter, static grass and  brambles from a war gaming outfit. Yes the locos and rolling stock have vastly improved but sometimes I think that de-skills model making, because the modeller doesn't have to do it for him/herself..., It gives me the time to do some structures instead. I did weather down the loco.

Cheers

Duncan

2 minutes ago, RBE said:

Duncan, the code 40 will stand up just fine. With BoT the track i have the most issue with is the peco stuff in the back. The code 40 handbuilt stuff never lets me down.

Duly noted Cav... I will try out on my small Hobbs Bridge layout.... but to your track standards.

Cheers

Duncan