51 minutes ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

That looks good Duncan, you've done a really nice job on removing the light, I can't see even a hint of a join. It's a great little project. 

Can I ask why you left some of the transfers on? (The last bit of the number and the oblverhead wire warning) was it so you can position the new transfers easily? Or will you apply enough paint to cover them? I have always found they are the last thing you see through a new coat and remove them completely. I hope you don't mind me asking, your models always come out stunningly good and your rarely do something without a good reason so it left me wondering. 

Morning Dave,

If a full repaint I would have put the body in stripper and removed everything.

It's a bit of a cheat really. The markings you refer to are printed on, not transfers. Had they been transfers I would have removed them. I will use transfers to repair overspray of the printed markings (and they will aid positioning). Next stage will be to add fan and grilles, pipework and cosmetic coupling at no2 end.

I will be removing the bogie frames, washing them to remove all oil and grease before weathering. If you refer to the prototype photos posted above you will notice that the bogies (and tanks) are any colour but black. It will be an adventure to complete the weathering. 

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1

8 hours ago, P.C.M said:

Hi Duncan, Nice work on the class 37.

I am not sure if you are on Facebook but there is a group called 'Glory days of Diesel' Some great photo's get posted up and recently some very nice ones of Shirebrook. Might be worth a look.

Cheers Peter. 

Morning (or should that be evening) Peter,

No I don't do facebook. If you send a link  via PM I may be able to view. I have not forgotten about 37121; that will be a full repaint of another 37239, I think, as there are not any  blue centre head code locos available at the moment.

Cheers

Duncan

1 hour ago, Duncan. said:

Morning Dave,

If a full repaint I would have put the body in stripper and removed everything.

It's a bit of a cheat really. The markings you refer to are printed on, not transfers. Had they been transfers I would have removed them. I will use transfers to repair overspray of the printed markings (and they will aid positioning). Next stage will be to add fan and grilles, pipework and cosmetic coupling at no2 end.

I will be removing the bogie frames, washing them to remove all oil and grease before weathering. If you refer to the prototype photos posted above you will notice that the bogies (and tanks) are any colour but black. It will be an adventure to complete the weathering. 

Cheers

Duncan

Ah that'd explain it, sorry I thought they were transfers rather than printed.

Keep up the great work, it always fills me with motivation to see your amazing models taking shape and I'm looking forward to seeing how you tackle the weathering when you get that far. 

All the best

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 1

Evening Everybody,

So here's a little update on the Class 37. The photos below show the installation of the radiator fan and application of the radiator frost shields. I have also tidied up the nose ends and applied transfers. I hope you like.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1594.JPG

IMG_1596.JPG

IMG_1598.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

19 minutes ago, Duncan. said:

Thanks for the info, Janet and me feel humbled. We are glad to be flying the flag for British N scale modelling!:)

Cheers

Duncan

wigan pic.pdf 258.48 kB · 0 downloads

Flying the flag very very highly at that. Great choice of photo who ever it was. The real length train with that rake look very impressive when combined with that view. Although the scene is well detailed and realistic, it's not overly cluttered and makes the train the real focus of the photo, perfect for a poster.

All the best

Dave

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 16/11/2019 at 20:17, Duncan. said:

No I don't do facebook. If you send a link  via PM I may be able to view. I have not forgotten about 37121; that will be a full repaint of another 37239, I think, as there are not any  blue centre head code locos available at the moment.

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan. Not sure how to do that, but I will try and contact the photographer and what I can do.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold
On 16/11/2019 at 09:17, Duncan. said:

Cheers

Duncan

I don’t know if it’s what you’re looking for but Kernow commissioned Farish to do 37207 “William Cookworthy” in blue with the Cornish Railways embellishments. As it’s a limited edition it costs a bit more than the standard 37s but it might save you some work. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

I don’t know if it’s what you’re looking for but Kernow commissioned Farish to do 37207 “William Cookworthy” in blue with the Cornish Railways embellishments. As it’s a limited edition it costs a bit more than the standard 37s but it might save you some work. 

Hi,

Yes I have seen that model. Apart from the price, I felt it would be a shame to 'destroy' a limited edition for a plain old work horse.... It is the correct body shell for the change... although turned brass oval buffers would be required.

I will keep it in mind.

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Steve,

That's a great picture and alters my assumption that it got 3TG livery at Cardiff on 25th Jan 88, however, it was in 3TG for the Bescot Open Day on 6th May 1990 and it wasn't fresh at that time...., so it must have been repainted in the 8 months after August 89, we are getting closer!

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Duncan

• Thanks 1

Morning, another wet day here in West Yorkshire. Not a good day to be airbrushing, unless you have a walk in booth with humidity control, which I don't have. Below are a couple of photos of 37239, with the replacement grilles fan and detailing. The grilles I found very difficult to fit (using super glue) and although you can see the radiator fan well enough in the photo (using flash) it's a different case in normal light. I also fond the roof grille frame perhaps slightly small compared to the grille itself. So I am not entirely happy but I will weather the loco probably a little more than in my reference photos, I would love to know what you think. I will be putting 4 EWS farish seacows on ebay later if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1599.JPG

IMG_1601.JPG

IMG_1602.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Duncan,

Good work getting the grill fitted, I never got that far on mine, there's a pair of part finished 37s in a drawer upstairs! 

The frame should be slightly smaller than the mesh, as this is what fits to the roof on the real thing, trapping the mesh under it with a small overhang outside the frame. On mine I carefully tinned the frame with solder paste then sweated the two parts together.

Looking forward to seeing 239 completed!

Jo

1 hour ago, Steadfast said:

Hi Duncan,

Good work getting the grill fitted, I never got that far on mine, there's a pair of part finished 37s in a drawer upstairs! 

The frame should be slightly smaller than the mesh, as this is what fits to the roof on the real thing, trapping the mesh under it with a small overhang outside the frame. On mine I carefully tinned the frame with solder paste then sweated the two parts together.

Looking forward to seeing 239 completed!

Jo

Hi Jo,

I have been weathering the loco today. I have used the following colours, black, white, oil leakings, brake dust and rail grey from the Precision Enamels range. So below you will find a couple of shots of the body and belly tanks still on my painting stand while they dry. I will give the whole lot a coat of matt varnish when dry.

IMG_1607.JPG

IMG_1608.JPG

IMG_1611.JPG

IMG_1612.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

AHHH cruel enlargements!

The loco is all back together... Needs a coat of matt varnish and a dust. The photos are making it look less mucky than with the naked eye, perhaps it's the lighting. Your valued comments are most welcome good or otherwise.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1614.JPG

IMG_1617.JPG

IMG_1618.JPG

37239 by Sean Lancastle.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi Duncan,

My first thought when I looked at the set of photos above was WOW and that's definitely the most important thing, it's a very very impressive model and will look great on the layout.

You always help me with constructive comments so I've tried my best below:

I've noticed the 239 on the front looks like the 9 is a different size and different front? Maybe It's just the photo?

The effort on the fan looks like brilliant modeling, but it also looks like a huge amount of effort for something you can't really see at the end. How does it look in real life? Can you notice it? In the photos after the weathering it's hard to notice.

Have you thought about detailing the buffers? I usually find I can never get them right with a spray gun and go over and do them with a brush after and sometimes even use paint with texture in it, although looking at the photo below 37239 wouldn't need the texture because there doesn't look to be a build up of grease.

Coal Class 37/0, 37239

Are you aiming for weathering to be exactly like the photo you've shown? If so it almost looks like there are a few sections I could never achieve with a spray gun. I know you are considerably better than me with a spray gun, but I still think there are a few sections around the bogies (especially at the front of the bogies in your photo) that would be much easier with weathering powders like Pecos brake dust and rust (I am sure other companies make similar, just never used them). 

I hope you take all of the above comments as constructive. The main thing is that the first reaction when looking at the model was WOW. I had to look for a while comparing to the photos of the real thing before I could make any of the comments above. 

All the best

Dave

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Dave,

Your comments are MOST welcome. There are too many 'likes' across the site and vague 'great' comments when a more detailed and constructively critical comment may prod some into improving their skills .

I'll try to answer all your points.... 1st thanks for the wow.

2nd the 9   um cock up there the '9' is the original printed one by Farish that you can see. I did add a transfer '9' but it blew off at some point during the spraying, so will need to rework the area. As I said cruel enlargements it is almost invisible at normal viewing. 

3rd Fan- I agree with you is it worth the effort? I'm also not fully convinced about the frost grilles, I might drawn some etches up for myself.

Bogies and buffers, once I have matt varnished I may well go around these areas and add a few details with a brush, I have highlighted the lamps irons with a dot of 'off white' as they tend to disappear.  Each pair of eyes will see something the others have missed and bringing those observations to the fore can help all of us.

Thanks again for your views. Very valueable.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Duncan, 

Great job on the weathering, it looks like a well used engine!

On the photos it might be the white balance on your camera - you've used a coloured back ground and there's no 'white' for the camera to judge the rest of the colours from, maybe try on a piece of paper (I prop an old envelope behind the loco) and the colours might come out more true to what you see on the actual model.

Can't wait to see what's next!

Cheers

Simon

• Informative/Useful 3

Morning,

A couple more shots of 37239 in natural light. I brushed the loco to remove dust and gave a blast of air over it too. I really can't see dust on the loco but the photographs show it, may be I should go to specsavers... and I still have a little work to do.

Cheers

Duncan

Ps No updates for a week or two, major building work going on here, but when I do come back I hope to have this loco fully finished and varnished. 

IMG_1620.JPG

IMG_1621.JPG

IMG_1622.JPG

IMG_1624.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

It looks good to me Duncan. The camera can do funny things (remember your comment that my weathering had improved and I said it was more my photography skills!). I’d always rather undercook the weathering than over cook it because if on reflection you decide it’s not grubby enough you can always return to it. I’ve had some success with this, especially on wagons, because you end up with layers of weathering as per the real thing. It’s also most important how it looks to your eye. If it feels right to you it probably is!

great discussion as ever from the n community and I think it’s a good point about “likes” versus making a constructive comment.

Tim.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Hi Duncan,

My first thought when I looked at the set of photos above was WOW and that's definitely the most important thing, it's a very very impressive model and will look great on the layout.

You always help me with constructive comments so I've tried my best below:

I've noticed the 239 on the front looks like the 9 is a different size and different front? Maybe It's just the photo?

The effort on the fan looks like brilliant modeling, but it also looks like a huge amount of effort for something you can't really see at the end. How does it look in real life? Can you notice it? In the photos after the weathering it's hard to notice.

Have you thought about detailing the buffers? I usually find I can never get them right with a spray gun and go over and do them with a brush after and sometimes even use paint with texture in it, although looking at the photo below 37239 wouldn't need the texture because there doesn't look to be a build up of grease.

Coal Class 37/0, 37239

Are you aiming for weathering to be exactly like the photo you've shown? If so it almost looks like there are a few sections I could never achieve with a spray gun. I know you are considerably better than me with a spray gun, but I still think there are a few sections around the bogies (especially at the front of the bogies in your photo) that would be much easier with weathering powders like Pecos brake dust and rust (I am sure other companies make similar, just never used them). 

I hope you take all of the above comments as constructive. The main thing is that the first reaction when looking at the model was WOW. I had to look for a while comparing to the photos of the real thing before I could make any of the comments above. 

All the best

Dave

20 hours ago, MrSimon said:

Hi Duncan, 

On the photos it might be the white balance on your camera - you've used a coloured back ground and there's no 'white' for the camera to judge the rest of the colours from, maybe try on a piece of paper (I prop an old envelope behind the loco) and the colours might come out more true to what you see on the actual model.

Cheers

Simon

5 hours ago, Timmy84 said:

It looks good to me Duncan. The camera can do funny things (remember your comment that my weathering had improved and I said it was more my photography skills!). I’d always rather undercook the weathering than over cook it because if on reflection you decide it’s not grubby enough you can always return to it. I’ve had some success with this, especially on wagons, because you end up with layers of weathering as per the real thing. It’s also most important how it looks to your eye. If it feels right to you it probably is!

great discussion as ever from the n community and I think it’s a good point about “likes” versus making a constructive comment.

Tim.

20 hours ago, MrSimon said:

Hi Duncan, 

Cheers

Simon

Hi,

To tie up a few loose ends from quotes above, Dave I will also be adding etched arrows and am already on with the '9'. Tim thanks for your comments , Speke East continues to look good, I'm always happy to read 'proper' points of view, not just 'great' criticism welcome.

Simon- 'What's Next?' Well- Shunters a triple grey one and a vacuum brake only example. I will be modifying a couple of bodies to match my choosen prototypes. I have 10 covhops to weather for my 'sand' train. There's about 36 HEA kits to build; that'll be a longer term project. I have 18 Cawoods coal containers to fettle- they aren't running well, but now that Revolution have announced the PFA flats I may well be purchasing them instead! I have 2 x 58s and a 56 fully stripped and waiting in the paint shop. Then there a couple of problems on the layout to sort and yard lamps to replace... want to come and help Simon?

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 2