9 hours ago, bigP said:

:o  The mystical unicorn of N gauge kits!

You did well to find some of those.

Hi Paul,

They were briefly in stock at the N Gauge Society shop. I saw them last week and ordered straight away. I see they are once again out of stock.:(

Cheers

Duncan

Edited by Duncan.
typo

Will watch your kit #11 build with interest Duncan. Hopefully Paul there will be some more on the horizon, this short run was briefly touched upon in the NGS newsletter this month. The next batch are apparently waiting on bogie securing pins and etches. I only bought two of the Bachmann models originally and so am looking forward to building the kits. The etches look fiddly, but plenty of completed examples on the net to look at.

Kind Regards - Steve

Edited by Freight Connection
Grammar
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Freight Connection said:

Will watch your kit #11 build with interest Duncan. Hopefully Paul there will be some more on the horizon, this short run was briefly touched upon in the NGS newsletter this month. The next batch are apparently waiting on bogie securing pins and etches. I only bought two of the Bachmann models originally and so am looking forward to building the kits. The etches look fiddly, but plenty of completed examples on the net to look at.

Kind Regards - Steve

Hi Steve,

The Farish RTR and NGS kit represent different batches of this wagon. I just had a quick read through of the instructions and apparently the bogies are different. I made a rake of 4 or 5 wagons some time ago as a commission. They are fiddly, and I found it best to make and paint (and weather) sub-assemblies before final construction. At the moment photos of those wagons are stashed away while we have some building work done. I wont be starting these kits until the Christmas holidays, but when I can get my hands on a photo I will post it on this thread so keep checking in or 'follow' this thread. I will post updates during the build but that won't happen 'till after Christmas

Cheers

Duncan.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The EE type 3, (sorry I'm old school!), seems to have Bachmanns 4mm  curse of riding a tad high over the bogies, not your fault I know, the weathering is excellent.

Mike.

OH bu***r! I have lowered the body- it was even higher.... I think the inclusion of the 'well' for the radiator fan has reduced the lowering slightly. I still have a little work to do on the weathering and detailing, but as I said in the post above we are having building work carried out so that will have to wait for a week.  Please check back in (or 'follow') this thread to see the fully finished loco then.

Cheers

Duncan 

• Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Smallwonder said:

Noting your attempt to determine when it was repainted, I spotted 37 239 at Milerhill on 14 Jan 1990 in railfreight coal livery. My record notes it as looking "ex works". Spotted at same location on 4 Feb 90 and noted as "dirty". 

Thank you Smallwonder, I guess that nails it to Christmas/New Year 1989-90, perhaps it was sent to works in December 1989. Would you care to say where you think the repaint may have been carried out? I have no idea, it isn't really important other than to satisfy my own curiosity. 

Cheers

Duncan

18 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Steve,

The Farish RTR and NGS kit represent different batches of this wagon. I just had a quick read through of the instructions and apparently the bogies are different. I made a rake of 4 or 5 wagons some time ago as a commission. They are fiddly, and I found it best to make and paint (and weather) sub-assemblies before final construction. At the moment photos of those wagons are stashed away while we have some building work done. I wont be starting these kits until the Christmas holidays, but when I can get my hands on a photo I will post it on this thread so keep checking in or 'follow' this thread. I will post updates during the build but that won't happen 'till after Christmas

Cheers

Duncan.

Hi Steve, Thanks to my friend who commissioned the seacows I can now provide a couple of photos of the wagons and A NGS Shark I made at the same time.

Cheers

Duncan

20191127_114740.jpg

20191127_114750.jpg

20191127_114807.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Oh very nice....

I looked at the differences you mentioned on Paul Bartlett's site last night. A quick read of the NGS instructions this morning and I now understand the yellow banding variations you have there. 

The wear and tear on the Shark looks good, I still have that kit to build. Was then going to batch paint all the engineering stock together ( Turbots & Limpets as well )

Everything in storage presently at Warrington prior to a house move. But these pics give plenty of food for thought.

The last modelling I did prior to packing was to convert 3 Farish POAs to Limpets.... And then the NGS ( ex Parkside?? .. possibly ) Limpets came out. LOL. But will be interesting to compare them once I set up again.

Thanks again for posting the Pics Duncan

Regards - Steve

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I have completed 37239. I took a couple of photos around lunchtime when the light was greatest, but not sure if the photos are so great. The loco has been varnished and etched ;arrows' applied.  Loco now ready to be added to the Shirebrook running list! And the building works.... not good, not good at all, but that story is not suitable for this site, however, the next Shirebrook running day will have to be postponed until the new year

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1626.JPG

IMG_1627.JPG

IMG_1630.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/11/2019 at 16:52, Freight Connection said:

The last modelling I did prior to packing was to convert 3 Farish POAs to Limpets.... And then the NGS ( ex Parkside?? .. possibly ) Limpets came out. LOL. But will be interesting to compare them once I set up again.

Regards - Steve

Hi Steve,

I believe the Limpet kits originated with TPM and long predate the Farish model.

cheers

Ben A.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Duncan,

Just a quick note to say I am still following along with your progress!  The detailing and weathing on that latest 37 is superb in my eyes. Im aiming to try and achieve a similar standard with several of mine next year.  My appearance on rmWeb continues to be sporadic at the moment for a variety of reasons, but im looking forward to maybe concentrating on the modelling a bit over the next week or so.

Happy Christmas to you!

Rich

• Friendly/supportive 1

Season's Greetings from us all at 'Shirebrook'

INVASION OF THE SEACOWS- Episode 1.

It's been a quiet time on the layout with our attendance at various family gatherings to celebrate Christmas. But now I have some time to make repairs and make a start on my kit building list and loco modifications. First off was to repair some electrics we had problems with at the Leeds show, and repair a stabilizing 'stay' to one of the baseboards, these while not 'photogenic' are vital. Today I have made a start on the eight Seacows I purchased from the NGS. All the larger plastic parts and the bogies were removed from the sprues and washed thouroughly in the hottest water I can stand with Cif . The photo below shows the parts drying. The buffers have been fixed to card ready for spraying.

I did  have a couple of problems with the kits supplied... short moulded parts and the NEM coupler boxes, which will delay proceedings. The NGS will replace items so not a problem.

IMG_1644.JPG

• Like 11

Invasion of the Seacows- Episode 2.

The seacows are starting to take shape. The five photos below show the basic body shell, incomplete with bogies and the chute assemblies. Each of these parts will be painted before assembly although one photo shows these parts temporarily assembled to check clearances. The chutes have been soldered rather than glued as the instructions state, I did this as i felt that it would produce a neater job. I will fill the space under the chutes with lead to give he finished some additional weight. Each of the parts will be washed again before air brushing begins.Once painted and transfers applied the etched details will be added and then I will start the weathering, so still much remains to be done!

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1646.JPG

IMG_1647.JPG

IMG_1648.JPG

IMG_1649.JPG

IMG_1652.JPG

• Like 13

Invasion of the Seacows-Episode 3

For those with a nervous disposition please look away now, as this episode will look at paint application. The underneath of the discharge chutes and the bogies were undercoated with a mist coat of white, then when dry airbrushed black. In the second photo some parts of the etches have been sprayed dense white, handrails steps and brake and operating wheels. finally the bodies, first sprayed all over mist white, then dense white for the yellow bands, and then yellow. The yellow will be masked out when dry (48 hours) and then the body will be sprayed grey. Look out for the next thrilling installment!

IMG_1653.JPG

IMG_1654.JPG

IMG_1655.JPG

• Like 11

Fair dos for having the patience to batch build Duncan!

I've built the odd one or two in the past (think it's finished one, two still part done...) And they're nice kits to put together. Something I did on my later builds was to solder the end etches where the folds are once built to add some strength to the corners. Also soldered the buffers in to the etched holes, so when mounted on the wagon they shouldn't come loose and fall out, should also make the mount of the handrails stronger, in theory...

Looking forward to the next steps

Jo

• Friendly/supportive 1

Invasion of the Seacows-Episode 4

Hi Everyone,

Well this job is taking a considerable time, it will not be finished in time for my return to work... Below in the photo you will see the buffers have been painted along with the basic body and the chutes. Those fitted to the bodies are test fit only. The problematic bogies have been completed and etches fitted. Everything remains to be weathered. The internal parts of the wagon were painted dark rust but this area too will be worked on to produce a more realistic effect, or should I load the wagons... still many etches to add.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1656.JPG

• Like 10