Evening All,

While the seacows remain on the back burner, work is continuing with the 08 shunter mod and repaint. It is a cruel enlargement- no matter! The photo below shows the front radiator masked out , the loco body is in white undercoat and is waiting to be sprayed rail grey. It has been sprayed this evening

Thereafter are a couple of photos of the most recent stock arrivals, the Revolution Sturgeons and covhops. Most of the covhops have been faded but not yet weathered, these will form the sand train from the Worksop area to the Potteries, the sturgeons will have to wait there turn!

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1684.JPG

IMG_1686.JPG

IMG_1688.JPG

IMG_1689.JPG

IMG_1690.JPG

• Like 16

Hi Duncan,

Just catching up properly with all your progress. Liking the NGS Seacows, need to get some when they become available, certainly is the right way to go building in batches rather than individually.

Will be interested to see the 08 when finished, I have been looking for more progress pictures from my pics but no luck so far! 

Cheers

Simon

• Friendly/supportive 1

Nice work with the 08 Duncan, something I plan to tackle in the future too so I'm keeping an eye on your results.

Regarding unwanted lights, something I've done on locos like Farish 37s where there's a sprung contact between chassis and body is to put a piece of tape over the contacts to stop the lights illuminating at the coupler end. Only works if your locos always run the same direction of course! With Dapol stuff, I unplug the white connector for the end I don't want lights. Either that, or wait for the naff wiring to fail of its own accord!

Jo

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, 03060 said:

Hello Duncan,

With reference to fading the Covhops what method do you use please ? 

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Ian,

I washed the models. Cif and a toothbrush, rinsed and dried them (air from the air brush) and set aside. I mixed about 50/50 precision brake dust and precision light rust. I thinned the mix down with thinners around 40 paint to 60 thinners, but that would depend upon how 'thick' the paint was in the 1st place. Thinner than I would use normally if spraying a 'colour'. I sprayed on the colour at a reduced pressure of about 20psi with a Badger 150 airbrush fitted with a fine head and needle assembly. I would normally use a medium head. The paint needs to be thinned more for the fine head , but the downside is it is easier to get runs.

The 'darker covhops' have had dark rust, bauxite and a dark grey sprayed on over the pre fading, a sandy colour wash for the sand stains (applied by brush) and two colours including brake dust colour on the chassis..

If confused please ask for further detail.

Cheers

Duncan 

IMG_1690.JPG.4bcfc73727525cabaa2cecdd016e2855.jpg

Edited by Duncan.
additional text
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

I've done something similar to Jo, but used slips of writing paper to insulate the connection to the lights, the advanatge being it's completely reversible should I ever sell the model on.

9 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Nice work with the 08 Duncan, something I plan to tackle in the future too so I'm keeping an eye on your results.

Regarding unwanted lights, something I've done on locos like Farish 37s where there's a sprung contact between chassis and body is to put a piece of tape over the contacts to stop the lights illuminating at the coupler end. Only works if your locos always run the same direction of course! With Dapol stuff, I unplug the white connector for the end I don't want lights. Either that, or wait for the naff wiring to fail of its own accord!

Jo

Wonderful ideas, thanks Jo and Bernard. I will look into these.. The first 08 will be in triple grey, I have a picture of 08419 at Shirebrook in this livery and the next one I tackle will end up as 08255 in blue. Can anyone help me with 08419, was it air brake only when in  triple grey? 08255 was vacuum only.

Cheers

Duncan

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Ian,

I washed the models. Cif and a toothbrush, rinsed and dried them (air from the air brush) and set aside. I mixed about 50/50 precision brake dust and precision light rust. I thinned the mix down with thinners around 40 paint to 60 thinners, but that would depend upon how 'thick' the paint was in the 1st place. Thinner than I would use normally if spraying a 'colour'. I sprayed on the colour at a reduced pressure of about 20psi with a Badger 150 airbrush fitted with a fine head and needle assembly. I would normally use a medium head. The paint needs to be thinned more for the fine head , but the downside is it is easier to get runs.

The 'darker covhops' have had dark rust, bauxite and a dark grey sprayed on over the pre fading, a sandy colour wash for the sand stains (applied by brush) and two colours including brake dust colour on the chassis..

If confused please ask for further detail.

Cheers

Duncan 

Thanks Duncan for a very comprehensive reply, they look very good.

One of the reasons that I asked is that I would like to create a 'faded' look on amongst other things blue Class 03 and 08 shunters but have as yet never had either the knowhow or bottle to try. I wasn't sure whether the effect could be created by just overspraying with a very thin whiteish colour to achieve my desired slightly faded finish (ie I'm not looking for the full on carriage wash plant effect !) having now also just read your reply to Steadfast maybe I should just wait and see how you go about tackling 08 255.

Thanks again for the info.

Regards,

Ian.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, 03060 said:

Thanks Duncan for a very comprehensive reply, they look very good.

One of the reasons that I asked is that I would like to create a 'faded' look on amongst other things blue Class 03 and 08 shunters but have as yet never had either the knowhow or bottle to try. I wasn't sure whether the effect could be created by just overspraying with a very thin whiteish colour to achieve my desired slightly faded finish (ie I'm not looking for the full on carriage wash plant effect !) having now also just read your reply to Steadfast maybe I should just wait and see how you go about tackling 08 255.

Thanks again for the info.

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Ian,

Some modellers do use white to fade.... however, I find it too harsh. When fading rail blue, for instance, I use a well thinned provincial light blue or  barclays blue.  I add a little railfreight grey to rail grey to fade railfreight grey... I hope you're still with me! The blue shunter, pictured, demonstrates this. You can see the fading along the bottom of the roof line and upwards facing surfaces for instance.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1690.JPG.4bcfc73727525cabaa2cecdd016e2855.jpg

As a footnote, I spray the fade colour from an angle above and when it's done the loco can look rather odd until further weathering is completed!

Edited by Duncan.
typo
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 21/01/2020 at 07:42, Duncan. said:

Wonderful ideas, thanks Jo and Bernard. I will look into these.. The first 08 will be in triple grey, I have a picture of 08419 at Shirebrook in this livery and the next one I tackle will end up as 08255 in blue. Can anyone help me with 08419, was it air brake only when in  triple grey? 08255 was vacuum only.

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

With regards to 08419, do you mean 08418 instead? 08419 finished its days in BR Blue, here is 08418 in Railfreight grey at Shirebrook, pictured is linked from Flickr.

08418 Shirebrook 1988-89

This picture in 1981 shows no vac pipe so will have been air only in Railfreight grey, this picture is linked from Flickr.

08418 March 17-5-81

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

Hi Duncan,

With regards to 08419, do you mean 08418 instead? 08419 finished its days in BR Blue, here is 08418 in Railfreight grey at Shirebrook.

08418 Shirebrook 1988-89

This picture in 1981 shows no vac pipe so will have been air only in Railfreight grey.

08418 March 17-5-81

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

Where's the 1981 photo of 08418 taken please?

Hi Everyone,

Well two of the three greys sprayed. Sorry the photos aren't great. You can see that the masking has pulled some of the rail grey off, and that was after two days drying... I will set aside for 2 more days before remasking and spraying the dark grey to the upper bodyside and roof. I will touch in the rail grey when the flint grey has dried.

Cheers Duncan

IMG_1692.JPG

IMG_1694.JPG

• Like 9

15 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Everyone,

Well two of the three greys sprayed. Sorry the photos aren't great. You can see that the masking has pulled some of the rail grey off, and that was after two days drying... I will set aside for 2 more days before remasking and spraying the dark grey to the upper bodyside and roof. I will touch in the rail grey when the flint grey has dried.

Cheers Duncan

IMG_1692.JPG

IMG_1694.JPG

It looks superb Duncan. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished article.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jollysmart said:

Good article in the N Gauge Journal Duncan, some interesting and sensible points raised,  with excellent double page photos. I'm looking forward to the proposed follow up articles.

Thanks Jollysmart. I hope to do some articles on various aspects such as trackwork and ballasting, hidden sidings, buildings and scenery, but it will be at the editors discretion!

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1

Update or excuse?

Hi Everyone,

This update contain no photos...Today is my birthday, this morning found me at the summit of Ingleborough (2376ft) in fog and drizzle with a very good friend. This afternoon I spent with Janet and 2 of our children well 37 and 30 year olds! I have enjoyed a wonderful day and this evening Janet cooked me a lovely tea ( to my request). I received some really lovely gifts including a set of 3 STS cement PCAs by Realtrack Models from my sons - very nice. Oh I lied about the photo.

IMG_1696.JPG

Make a nice addition to my PCA rake now up to 20 wagons of varying types.

IMG_1695.JPG

Yup, the're going to have to be weathered!

Edited by Duncan.
Additional text
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 minute ago, EWS FAN said:

Happy Birthday Duncan. Hope your having a great day. The new Wagons look good. 

Thank You, yes , yes and yes. Haven't done any modelling but hope to tomorrow when I will do a bit more to the 08 shunter and perhaps some more weathering on the covhops

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1

08418 Shunter Update.

I have made progress with the shunter as shown in the photographs. I have not been able to remove the plastic moulded handrails to the bodysides. The main problem this produced was difficulty masking up for the executive dark grey roof, the masking line being virtually in line with the handrail supports. Instead I masked between the supports-not ideal. I'll leave you to judge if it was a success.

IMG_1697.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

IMG_1699.JPG

Straight out of the spray booth, with the masking still on... what will be revealed when the masking is removed?

IMG_1700.JPG

IMG_1701.JPG

Well I'm quite happy with the result. Just detail painting, transfers, varnishing and weathering left to complete!

Cheers

Duncan

Edited by Duncan.
Additional text
  • Like 10