• RMweb Premium

I’ve only just started to look at this thread after seeing the photos in the NGS Journal. 

Truly great layout, N Gauge as it should be! Are you bringing it to a show south of Watford any time soon?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Colin said:

I’ve only just started to look at this thread after seeing the photos in the NGS Journal. 

Truly great layout, N Gauge as it should be! Are you bringing it to a show south of Watford any time soon?

Hi Colin,

Not this year sorry, Wigan and Scarborough only. We are due to be in Bristol and Fareham in following years but they might  may not be whole lot closer! Very glad you enjoy the layout, try my flickr page for more photos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135257675@N08/

Cheers

Duncan

Edited by Duncan.
missed text
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Hi Duncan,

When's Fareham planned? The other shows are a long way from Germany for a day out, but Fareham isn't so far from my parents place and I could make a weekend out of it and visit them as well as getting to see your cracking layout in the flesh. 

All the best,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Fareham 2021 October 2 and 3. Look forward to seeing you there, please introduce yourself.

Cheers

Duncan

5 minutes ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Hi Duncan,

When's Fareham planned? The other shows are a long way from Germany for a day out, but Fareham isn't so far from my parents place and I could make a weekend out of it and visit them as well as getting to see your cracking layout in the flesh. 

All the best,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Fareham 2021 October 2 and 3. Look forward to seeing you there, please introduce yourself.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stuey said:

That's a really good finish.  Can I ask what masking tape you use (the red looking stuff)? 

Hi Stuey,

I use Lithographic (celluose) tape. It is hydroscopic so it must be kept in an airtight cool environment. It is flexible so fits to intricate detail, and medium tack, made by sellotape.

Cheers

Duncan

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Dave,

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

It's in the diary, Saturdays are usually hard due to work, but I'll be there for one of the days at least. I look forward to both meeting you and seeing your cracking layout in the flesh.

All the best,

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Hi Duncan,

All the best,

Dave

...I'm making a weekend of it at Wigan, thanks to Duncan & Janet.

Herrenberg <-> Wigan over 4 days. 

It will be great meeting up with them again after I don't want to know how many years, NGaugeSociety show at Milton Keynes I think

es grüßt 

pc

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

37239 Back to the Future!

The truth is, well I was never fully satisfied with the radiator roof grille. So I am lucky to have an advance test sample of an alternative. I have to say that this sample is much easier to use and it looks- well you can judge for yourself. I can't say anymore at the moment except this will be my modification part of choice.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1705.JPG

• Like 7

Looks good to me. If I am not mistaken from the photo the thicker 'cross' beams look less proud and the detailing around the edge at the join to the Farish model is more detailed. In my opinion it has a more subtle (fitting to scale) but more detailed look about it.  

Was it a fiddle to fit? With my fat fingers I can't imagine not damaging the model when fitting one roof grill, let alone then removing the first grill and fitting a second. It all looks very neat. 

All the best,

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Looks good to me. If I am not mistaken from the photo the thicker 'cross' beams look less proud and the detailing around the edge at the join to the Farish model is more detailed. In my opinion it has a more subtle (fitting to scale) but more detailed look about it.  

Was it a fiddle to fit? With my fat fingers I can't imagine not damaging the model when fitting one roof grill, let alone then removing the first grill and fitting a second. It all looks very neat. 

All the best,

Dave

Hi Dave,

It is a very fine top quality item. Fitting was not difficult, it is critical. It is essential that the etch is formed around something about 6-8mm diameter and the correct profile obtained before it is glued in place. The etch is in stainless steel and therefore springy so tries to remain flat. Once you have the correct profile you're half way there. I used very very small amounts of 5 minute epoxy applied (with a cocktail stick) to the model So little it did not ooze into the grille mesh when the etch was (gently) pushed on to the roof.  I waited until the glue was ready to go 'off' before I added the etch (about 4 minutes) just leaving enough time to carefully position the etch into it;s final position. Held in place with an elastic band until fully set.

You will need to spray with very light coats so the mesh does not get clogged, I doubt a can or brush will do, air brush only for best results.

Cheers

Duncan

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello Duncan,

I've just flicked back to p.16 on the thread to compare the new grill with the 'old' new grill and whilst my own opinion is non-consequential I did notice that there is a plate across the top of the bogie steps in the centre (under the door) half covering a cylinder (which is on the model) which stands out as missing when comparing the model with the prototype photo of 239. Sorry to mention this but once noticed it makes the model's steps look to have a large 'gap' in them ...what do you think ?

Meant with the best of intentions,

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by 03060
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Ian,

I'm so glad you have mentioned it. I am always glad if someone notices something I missed, surely that is the true value of these forums, not just liking, or always saying something is great. I have been critical in a supportive way before now, just ask Dave McKenzie! This is something i will address, 1st I think will be to check clearances, especially as the body has been lowered.

Thanks Ian

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, 03060 said:

Hello Duncan,

I've just flicked back to p.16 on the thread to compare the new grill with the 'old' new grill and whilst my own opinion is non-consequential I did notice that there is a plate across the top of the bogie steps in the centre (under the door) half covering a cylinder (which is on the model) which stands out as missing when comparing the model with the prototype photo of 239. Sorry to mention this but once noticed it makes the model's steps look to have a large 'gap' in them ...what do you think ?

Meant with the best of intentions,

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Ian,

Great spot. I know that Duncan making similar observations and helpful comments has improved both my models and my modelling skills no end. Nice to see someone returning the favour. 

All the best,

Dave

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

08418 and 37239

Hi All,

Before and after. Here we have the locos before weathering in the case of the shunter and the 37 has had the fan fitted.

IMG_1709.JPG

IMG_1710.JPG

The 08 has only been lightly weathered but the frames area is grimier.

IMG_1711.JPG

IMG_1713.JPG

IMG_1714.JPG

The roof grille and radiator fan are complete and I'm happy with the result

IMG_1712 (2).JPG

Edited by Duncan.
Additional text
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

And on shed at Shirebrook.

I do believe that locos really come alive when placed in a realistic setting. I am very pleased with these two customised  locos, and I hope they will be popular at forth coming shows'

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1715.JPG

IMG_1716.JPG

IMG_1717.JPG

IMG_1718.JPG

IMG_1719.JPG

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

2 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

The 08 is looking lovely Duncan, nice workhorse weathering but not over the top. Very nice.

Jo

Hi Jo,

So 08418 is a match of two shunters and a bit of customising. I purchased a body only model of 'Ivor' research livery and bought a new railfreight 08. 08418 uses the chassis and cab from the railfreight liveried loco and the body comes from 'Ivor'. The cab was modified- removed 'Distribution' logos and a driver added.  The horn was replaced with a whistle from 'Ivor's' cab. The body was stripped and the box on the front RHS was removed, some spare etch frame was used to replicate the doors where the box had been. The body was repainted into Triple Grey Livery. I still need to add some tail lamps and a shunter's pole!

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1