Invasion of the Seacows Act 2 Scene 3

Hi,

It has been a long day fitting the final etches and weathering the bodies. The photos show the bodies on the yet to be weathered bogies. Bogie retaining pins also have to be fitted before the final weathering and satin varnish are applied, so there is a chance that I will get them finished soon-phew!

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1761.JPG

IMG_1762.JPG

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

1 hour ago, MrSimon said:

They look great Duncan! 

Where are the transfers from?

Hi Simon,

The transfers are supplied with the kit, and include EWS variants Sealion and Stingray too I have some spare if you (or any body else) need some.

Cheers

Duncan

One cube or sixteen Sir?

Here's another project I have been working on. I have to say that 'running' has been a little hit and miss and the couplings need adjustment. I had a tip for the couplings from a friend on RMweb and I will test at the next Shirebrook Running Day.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1764.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Ted-ish said:

This is an inspirational layout. :wub:

Hi Duncan, is the main area along the front on a flat board or is this constructed with open frame like the sides?

Also, am I right in say each 'segment' is 1.25 metres long?

Hi Ted, 

Each of the main scenic boards are 4ft by 2ft. The track bed is supported on cross members that are laid front to rear, these are profiled as necessary. Therefore at the junction end where the general level of the 'land' is above track level (i.e the tracks are in a cutting), the cross members are cut into where the track base crosses the cross member, whereas close to the viaduct where the general lie of the 'land' is below the track level the cross members are cut away either side of the track base. The open framing was filled with solid blocks of expanded polystyrene which was then carved to shape and then covered with a lightweight filler (One Strike). I hope you get the idea from the photos below, the profile cross member is just visible on the curved board where the filler and track has yet to be added.

Cheers

Duncan

26836915060_5d1f739fa2_o.jpg

20041032019_32ec26c728_o.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Evening,

I have added the sand streaks to the covhops and consider them now finished. The sand has dried a little whiter than I anticipated. I will have to live with then for  while before I decide to improve  (or not).

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1770.JPG

IMG_1771.JPG

IMG_1772.JPG

IMG_1773.JPG

IMG_1774.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Once again the completion of the Seacows is on hold. I need to purchase a 1.7mm drill to open out the bogie pivot holes as the retaining pins will not fit presently. Once fitted I will complete the weathering and varnish. I have, in the meantime, taken a couple of photos of the seacows on a section of the layout. I hope you notice the different shades of yellow on the wagon sides. Two of the rake are recently painted while the others display faded paintwork,

Cheers

Duncan 

IMG_1767.JPG

IMG_1768.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Duncan. said:

I hope you notice the different shades of yellow on the wagon sides.  

Very nice wagonage all round, but the only thing I notice is that they aren't olive green as they should be!

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
  • Funny 2

13 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Ted, 

Each of the main scenic boards are 4ft by 2ft. The track bed is supported on cross members that are laid front to rear, these are profiled as necessary. Therefore at the junction end where the general level of the 'land' is above track level (i.e the tracks are in a cutting), the cross members are cut into where the track base crosses the cross member, whereas close to the viaduct where the general lie of the 'land' is below the track level the cross members are cut away either side of the track base. The open framing was filled with solid blocks of expanded polystyrene which was then carved to shape and then covered with a lightweight filler (One Strike). I hope you get the idea from the photos below, the profile cross member is just visible on the curved board where the filler and track has yet to be added.

Cheers

Duncan

Thanks Duncan, very helpful!

Am I right in thinking your rail lines are flat and have no gradient, instead it's the landscape that ebbs and flows around the track?

Also, where did you get your black/grey foam from? It looks unusual and not something I've seen before!

3 hours ago, Ted-ish said:

Thanks Duncan, very helpful!

Am I right in thinking your rail lines are flat and have no gradient, instead it's the landscape that ebbs and flows around the track?

Also, where did you get your black/grey foam from? It looks unusual and not something I've seen before!

Hi Ted,

You are correct in your assertion , the track is level throughout. The foam was bought as a 2400 by 1200 by 100mm sheet from my local timber merchant. I include a couple more views of the construction of the layout extension.

Cheers

Duncan

27016852582_c50c2fa4fa_o.jpg

27034832085_4f1c0a340e_o.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4

It really does give the impression the track is slightly up-down (ebb and flow) whereas it's actually the landscape, it's a nice effect.

Again thank you for the inspiration - I will certainly borrow ideas for you and your layout. Your Flickr account is just pure eye candy! :wub:

• Friendly/supportive 1

17 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Evening,

I have added the sand streaks to the covhops and consider them now finished. The sand has dried a little whiter than I anticipated. I will have to live with then for  while before I decide to improve  (or not).

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1770.JPG

IMG_1771.JPG

IMG_1772.JPG

IMG_1773.JPG

IMG_1774.JPG

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Ted-ish said:

It really does give the impression the track is slightly up-down (ebb and flow) whereas it's actually the landscape, it's a nice effect.

Again thank you for the inspiration - I will certainly borrow ideas for you and your layout. Your Flickr account is just pure eye candy! :wub:

Hi and many thanks,

I don't know your location but Shirebrook will be appearing at the Scarborough District Modellers' Exhibition in August  (at Pickering) and at the Wigan Finescale Modellers' Exhibition in October, would be great to see you at one of those shows.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Evening,

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1770.JPG

IMG_1771.JPG

IMG_1772.JPG

IMG_1773.JPG

IMG_1774.JPG

Hi Duncan,

I don't have any personal experiences of covhops or any old photos as reference. But good idea to leave these a while before choosing what to do next because they look absolutely brilliant how they are.

It's not easy to heavily weather something and make it look as convincing as that. I think if anything, the fact that they are possibly a tiny bit too white probably helps to avoid that funny appearance that sometimes comes (at least to the less talented such as myself) with too many similar browns that just doesn't look realistic, hard to explain in words but hopefully you know what I mean.

Must also remember no one will ever be viewing your layout and a photo of the wagons at the same time and you always do a cracking job if making an amazing 'over all picture' as well as the local detailing. 

I know you appreciate constructive criticism as well as compliments and one thing that stood out a little in that set of photos is that the 08s hand rails in bright white and the 4 orange details on the wasp strips stand out a little. They could maybe do with dulling down very very slightly with a very thin brown wash. It might only be the photos, but the eye gets drawn towards the vivid strong colours that are usually the first to dull down a bit on the real thing. The rest of the 08 looks spot on and the effect you've achieved by picking out all the detailing on the side panels with the grubby look without the model being over weathered is just outstanding. 

Inspirational modeling as always. Thanks for sharing. 

All the best,

Dave 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Hi Duncan,

I don't have any personal experiences of covhops or any old photos as reference. But good idea to leave these a while before choosing what to do next because they look absolutely brilliant how they are.

It's not easy to heavily weather something and make it look as convincing as that. I think if anything, the fact that they are possibly a tiny bit too white probably helps to avoid that funny appearance that sometimes comes (at least to the less talented such as myself) with too many similar browns that just doesn't look realistic, hard to explain in words but hopefully you know what I mean.

Must also remember no one will ever be viewing your layout and a photo of the wagons at the same time and you always do a cracking job if making an amazing 'over all picture' as well as the local detailing. 

I know you appreciate constructive criticism as well as compliments and one thing that stood out a little in that set of photos is that the 08s hand rails in bright white and the 4 orange details on the wasp strips stand out a little. They could maybe do with dulling down very very slightly with a very thin brown wash. It might only be the photos, but the eye gets drawn towards the vivid strong colours that are usually the first to dull down a bit on the real thing. The rest of the 08 looks spot on and the effect you've achieved by picking out all the detailing on the side panels with the grubby look without the model being over weathered is just outstanding. 

Inspirational modeling as always. Thanks for sharing. 

All the best,

Dave 

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for being candid, I really do appreciate your thoughts-this is what's best about online forums. I'll try to address all your points, the covhops- for the sand stains I used tiny amounts of Humbrol numbers 74 a yellow, number 29 a brown but mostly 121 a beige sandy colour. Once applied I spread the colour(s) with thinners on a brush taking the colour down the sides. It is so thin it looks white on drying, I was after a more yellow  (sand) tone I noticed that whatever colour I started with, the result was much the same I think that as the paint is so thinned it will just make the 'white' look denser but not in colour. The answer may be to spray on a yellow (sand) to tone down the white. However, after saying all that I am very pleased with them and I think that the wagons 'in the flesh' look less white than the photos suggest.

You comment about too many similar browns I touched on in an earlier post, I think you mean that you need to avoid the weathering to look 'muddy'- I think I have avoided that pitfall.

I understand exactly what you saying about the 08 shunter. I think the orange  looking 'bright' is combination of a couple of factors. Firstly I guess the photo when you view it is larger than 'life' the orange boxes represent the marker lamp boxes and may be modelled slightly overscale  by the manufacturer and I always have a grey filter fixed to my DSLR camera. This increases the colour saturation on the image making all colours look stronger and helps to avoid that bleached out effect most noticeable with flash photography but present also with long exposures, some of the photos above were 30 second exposures with the smallest aperture (F32) to give the greatest depth of field. I will be interested if you think the same when you come along to an exhibition.

One thing you did miss- can I ask you to look very closely at the roof of the 08 at the front, the exhaust port side was very lightly sprayed with a bit of soot colour while the cover plate on the right of the exhaust was lightly sprayed with dark rust, it is just about noticeable in the photo of the right hand side of the loco.

How's it going with Maid's Morton Dave?

Regards

Duncan

IMG_1772 (2).JPG

Edited by Duncan.
typos and missing text
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

15 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Hi and many thanks,

I don't know your location but Shirebrook will be appearing at the Scarborough District Modellers' Exhibition in August  (at Pickering) and at the Wigan Finescale Modellers' Exhibition in October, would be great to see you at one of those shows.

Cheers

Duncan

Not sure that's wise, I'd only be trying to strong arm you for those class 58's! :D

23 minutes ago, EWS FAN said:

Hi Duncan please could you explain how you achieved this effect ?

Cheers Mike 

20200219_201451.jpg

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your question. The answer is going to be considerably longer.

So starting at the base...

The embankment is formed from a solid piece of expanded polystyrene which has been carved and sanded to shape.

This was then covered with a very light weight filler (One Strike).

This surface was painted with a watered down ground colour (brown) from the Woodlands Scenics range.

PVA glue was then spread over the embankment, sprinkled onto this a mixture of sand, sawdust and scatters of various sizes moslty greys, browns and straw colours. (for winter colours) They were not spread evenly but in patches so some areas received more than others, a bit like layering really.

Just visible in the photo above and the photo I have attached the field at the bottom of the embankment had woodlands scenics fine turf on the painted base.

Next the fence was constructed, planted and painted in situ.

Next the first application of static grass was applied again in patches. I use static grass products from wws

https://www.war-world.co.uk/index.php/grass-static_grass_kits/?k=33622:27:::39

Next weeds (see link below) were added again these were added in clumps, along with teased out rubberised horsehair these represent the brambles and other dead vegetation left over from summer.

https://www.war-world.co.uk/product.php/loose_weeds_for_model_rail_layouts_oo_ho_n_gauge/?k=:::6803648:0

Finally various lengths of static grass were added .

The whole was air brushed with greys to tone down the colours more for that winter look. The fence had almost disappeared in places under the now quite dense undergrowth.

The area in the field had only static grass added as this area would be managed by the farmer and/or grazed by livestock, but as I have modelled the scene in wintertime there are not any livestock in the fields!

I use wws static grasses as I have found they have the most suitable colours for the effect I was trying to capture.

Cheers

Duncan

40876050883_b8e0b47dc0_o.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Superb modeling and explanation as ever Duncan. Having just joined the N Gauge Society and received the last magazine, congratulations on the feature and images. Wonderful.

Rich

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Rich,

I'm hoping you will be able to attend the next Shirebrook running day... I am not able to confirm a date just yet but will PM you as soon as I can. I'm glad you joined the NGS I have been a member for about 30 years, I have been the Trade Liaison Officer and Journal Manager/Editor and arranged 30th and 35th anniversary exhibitions... but now I leave that sort of thing to younger blood!

Cheers

Duncan

• Thanks 1