2 hours ago, 03060 said:

Hello Duncan,

The two things that stood out for me when I compared my Minitix vans to the Farish ones was the missing solebar brackets and the girth of the roof chimney.

I have two 3mm  brake van models on the 'to finish' stockroad which also lack these brackets which I think do make a difference to appearance. I may now try and do these and the Minitrix ones altogether.

Regarding the 'large' chimney, I wanted to check a few more prototype photos before deciding whether to try and replace them with something finer, I think that the shell vents look Ok but also not too sure about the rainstrips which are too noticeable even at a glance....again, I need to double check against prototype photos.

Painting finish is great and will look better once you've picked out the handrails. 

Good stuff as ever, thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Ian.

Thanks for you input Ian. Very much appreciated. I will be looking through my materials box to see if I can find a finer chimney. The roof has not been repaint (yet), I thought I would only proceed with it  if I felt the body/chassis  was acceptable. I can (easily?) remove the rainstrips if incorrect.

Cheers

Duncan

• RMweb Gold

Hi Duncan, 

The rain strips seem to vary quite a lot between vans but there are some photos on Paul Bartletts wagon site which show similar vans to yours with virtually straight rain strips very close to the edge of the roof above the entries. They have a very large radius curve to them but there are quite a few others where the rain strip is a straight strip diagonally across the corner of the van roof so plenty of choice. 

The chimney probably is too large and fixing these two issues will leave you with two lovely vans and you can never have too many!

I think that the rain strips issue has been discussed before in connexion with the Slaters and Dapol vans in 0 gauge and many people seemed to think that the original Airfix kit set the standard location for the rain strips wrongly and other manufacturers have continued to follow. Right or wrong a good story at least.

Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your excellent layout in the future.

Michael

• Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, Duncan. said:

have noticed the side pipework on some vans... does anyone know it's purpose?

Morning Duncan,

Brake vans are before my time but I'm 99% that the piping is to do with the van being fitted with air brake through pipes. Only on one side from memory. Can any other members confirm I'm not barking up the wrong tree?

Nice work bringing the Minitrix up to date, tempting me to have a dig through my box of bits and see what's lurking for a quick little project.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Morning Duncan,

Brake vans are before my time but I'm 99% that the piping is to do with the van being fitted with air brake through pipes. Only on one side from memory. Can any other members confirm I'm not barking up the wrong tree?

Nice work bringing the Minitrix up to date, tempting me to have a dig through my box of bits and see what's lurking for a quick little project.

Jo

Hi Jo 

Thanks for your thoughts. I wonder if the pipework was added so the guard could see the various air pressures in the brake and reservoir pipes on gauges inside the cabin...

Cheers

Duncan

5 hours ago, jollysmart said:

Hi Duncan, 

The rain strips seem to vary quite a lot between vans but there are some photos on Paul Bartletts wagon site which show similar vans to yours with virtually straight rain strips very close to the edge of the roof above the entries. They have a very large radius curve to them but there are quite a few others where the rain strip is a straight strip diagonally across the corner of the van roof so plenty of choice. 

The chimney probably is too large and fixing these two issues will leave you with two lovely vans and you can never have too many!

I think that the rain strips issue has been discussed before in connexion with the Slaters and Dapol vans in 0 gauge and many people seemed to think that the original Airfix kit set the standard location for the rain strips wrongly and other manufacturers have continued to follow. Right or wrong a good story at least.

Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your excellent layout in the future.

Michael

Hi Michael,

I took a look at Paul Bartletts site. I think I will be adjusting the rain strips! Thanks for your comments.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello Duncan,

Have the replacement Brake Van wheelsets made a difference to running please or is it just a personal preference ?

Regards,

Ian.

13 minutes ago, 03060 said:

Hello Duncan,

Have the replacement Brake Van wheelsets made a difference to running please or is it just a personal preference ?

Regards,

Ian.

The original Minitrix wheelsets are crude compared to current Farish ones, the wheels are plastic on a metal axle whereas the Farish wheelsets are fitted with metal tyres. I have nothing other than my own experience but I believe the metal tyred wheels stay cleaner than plastic wheels, I thought that the electricity flowing in the rails  matched to the plastic wheels attracts dirt  a bit like a capacitor, purely a theory, however I have all my stock fitted with metal wheels. As to the running the finer profile will help but I don't have the layout set up to test at the moment.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Morning Andrew,

Thanks for that information. My wife, Janet, is a member of the 2mm Association, I should pay more attention to their large and useful list of products. I have noticed the side pipework on some vans... does anyone know it's purpose?

keep safe Andrew.

Cheers

Duncan

Hi,

I pretty sure its a conversion from an unfitted to a fitted van.  When built if it was unfitted it had a solid concrete floor, fitted van had gaps in the concrete floor when cast to accommodate the pipes and other associated bits.  Converted vans had pipework above the floor - I'm assuming that's where the through pipe went as well. Not a 100% sure, if anyone else knows better I'd be keen to hear. 

Carl

• Informative/Useful 2

20 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Morning Duncan,

Jo

The pipe are definitely only on one side Jo, I have just done the same conversion on an O gauge van

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

BR Brakevans-further progress

Good afternoon everyone, I hope you are finding ways to cope through the lockdown. I have finished working from home for this week, now I can turn to some modelling. The photographs below show modifications to the roof, smaller diameter chimney and differing styles of rain strips. The van on the right also has all wire handrails added (from 0.33 wire).

The next photograph shows the sprayed roofs and handrails all picked out in white. I'm pleased with the improvement over the Minitrix originals. I still have to varnish, transfer and weather before completion.

Projects like these are my favourites, and what railway modelling is all about for me.

Stay in and stay safe this weekend

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1866.JPG

IMG_1867.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Hi,

Today I have been making some progress with my 2 class 58 repaints. The cabs were sprayed (white undercoat) yellow several days ago. I allowed them to dry well before today masking out the yellow I need 'to keep'.  Then I sprayed Railfreight grey and pulled the masking off. The next task, when completely dry will be to mask out the yellow and grey and spray black to the front and sides of the cabs.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1872.JPG

IMG_1871.JPG

IMG_1876.JPG

IMG_1873.JPG

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Duncan this photo came up on one of the Facebook groups which I'm a member of. I thought it might be of some use to you for your project which your working on at the moment.

Cheers Mike.

20200405_131348.jpg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, EWS FAN said:

Hi Duncan this photo came up on one of the Facebook groups which I'm a member of. I thought it might be of some use to you for your project which your working on at the moment.

Cheers Mike.

20200405_131348.jpg

That's great Mike, thank you. so we have a brake van, 5 x HAAs and a what pulling it? Is that a steam engine? Do you have details, location date etc? 

Cheers

Duncan

13 minutes ago, Duncan. said:

That's great Mike, thank you. so we have a brake van, 5 x HAAs and a what pulling it? Is that a steam engine? Do you have details, location date etc? 

Cheers

Duncan

Your welcome mate. It's on the National Wagon Preservation Groups Facebook Page which you should be able to see even if your not on Facebook.

Edited by EWS FAN

• RMweb Premium

I take it back regarding the oversized Minitrix brake van chimney having looked at the above facebook picture .....well it's either the chimney or an ostrich wearing sunglasses looking over the top !! :D 

Edited by 03060
  • Funny 1

2 minutes ago, millerhillboy said:

well done on giving a new lease of life to the peco brake vans, a decent model to start with I felt and you've certainly improved it that's for sure

Sorry they were Minitrix brake vans!:) I have ordered some transfers to complete, but can't get 'Air Piped' logos.. will add when they become available. After transfers I will weather...

Cheers

Duncan

:lol::blink: oops even better than, do minitrix ones predate the peco ones? Either way what you've got looks excellent .

I replaced all my peco vans for farish ones a while ago but I didn't particularly think I needed to really as what I had looked OK.

What about adding a character to the veranda?

DSC07294.JPG.55893c175aacee3fb38932601f146d06.JPG

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, millerhillboy said:

:lol::blink: oops even better than, do minitrix ones predate the peco ones? Either way what you've got looks excellent .

I replaced all my peco vans for farish ones a while ago but I didn't particularly think I needed to really as what I had looked OK.

What about adding a character to the veranda?

DSC07294.JPG.55893c175aacee3fb38932601f146d06.JPG

Yes indeed Craig(?) 

I saw your figures on your work bench thread, very impressive and I will be purchasing some. They are the best I've seen.

In the meantime here are some photos of further progress with the class 58s, solebar and bodies base painting complete, And , I hope you like, some photos of the brake vans and  my shunter  (in progress) on Shirebrook

Cheers

Stay safe

Duncan

IMG_1877.JPG

IMG_1878.JPG

IMG_1880.JPG

IMG_1879.JPG

• Like 12

28 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

The dimensions of the Peco vans are out: too long and low in the body. The Minitrix were the correct size, though not as nicely painted. Not sure which came out first.

The earliest listing I can find for the Minitrix one is in the 1980 catalogue if that helps. 

Carl

• Informative/Useful 1