• RMweb Premium

3 minutes ago, Duncan. said:

Interesting Steven, 005 at Sutton Colliery with the test car and (do you know the ID of the other 58?) would make an interesting working! Good Shout.

The caption says 005 was paired with 004 (one of your existing 58s)

58004, Test Car 6 and 58005 at Sutton Colliery in 1984 whilst undertaking wheel slip tests- the locos were actually working in multiple as TC6 was through-wired

Steven B

• Like 1

On 14/04/2020 at 11:43, Stuey said:

I don't have any interesting stories about 58's but I'll suggest 3 candidates.

58002, appears to be the first 58 I ever spotted on the 12th May 1986, at Acton Bridge, or 58030 or 58039 - the 2 remaining 58's I needed to spot when I stopped spotting in 1993.  I can't remember what the blue tick signifies next to 039 though.

mppb1992.jpg

spottingbook.jpg

On 13/04/2020 at 19:40, DavidMcKenzie said:

Hi Duncan, 

I am sure there will be better offers than this, but 58005 takes it for me, I am a sucker for any of the diesels that lead Intercity drags and 58005 was in action on the WCML doing exactly that. 

58005 Nuneaton 06/11/1988

My only other interesting link to a 58 and Shirebrook is void because 58044 is already on the roster, but 58044 was sitting at Shirebrook and photographed on the day I was born. 

58044 2nd November 1986 Shirebrook Depot

Great modeling as always. 

Thanks for all the interesting posts. It's keeping us all sane during the lockdown. 

All the best,

Dave

On 13/04/2020 at 20:43, Western Aviator said:

One day in the 1980s, a few mates and I were at our usual spotting location of the old cattle pens sidings just west of Reading station. A class 58 appeared in the distance from the Didcot direction and ran down into the diesel depot. None of us had seen one at Reading (although they were becoming common on the Didcot Power station trains) so we headed off to the depot on our bikes by which time the 58 had been parked in a siding next to the shed. We asked if we could take a look at it and the depot supervisor was very accommodating. He allowed us in the cab and before we left, he used one of our cameras to take a photo of us all sitting on the loco side by the BR symbol. It was 58014.

On 13/04/2020 at 20:53, millerhillboy said:

Can I throw my hat in the ring, I remember attending the haymarket open day in 1985 and seeing 58016, it was like an alien landing as far as myself and other 12-13 year old spotting mates were concerned. 

Never seen anything like it that far north at that point, the 56s were a long way short of arriving and apparently it was the first ever 58 north of the border.

http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/Class+58

On 14/04/2020 at 11:23, Steven B said:

001 or 005 would allow some test train running:

http://www.traintesting.com/Class_58.htm

Steven B

Evening Everyone,

I hope you and your families are keeping well and surviving the lock down. Thank you so much for your suggestions and interesting  memories, I really enjoyed reading them. So I have decided to go with 58005. The working with test car 6 really clinched it, and it will make for an interesting and unusual working on Shirebrook. Both Steven B and Dave McKenzie suggested it so that's two of you that will be very happy. I will get on with getting the loco completed.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Evening Everyone,

I hope you and your families are keeping well and surviving the lock down. Thank you so much for your suggestions and interesting  memories, I really enjoyed reading them. So I have decided to go with 58005. The working with test car 6 really clinched it, and it will make for an interesting and unusual working on Shirebrook. Both Steven B and Dave McKenzie suggested it so that's two of you that will be very happy. I will get on with getting the loco completed.

Cheers

Duncan

Great choice.  I'm a sucker for anything operating with a research coach in a consist.

• Agree 1

58005 and 58040

Hi Everyone,

I have been pushed for modelling time but have made progress with the repaints. I thought I had enough transfers to complete but alas no. I have placed an order with Fox Transfers so I can complete the loco numbers! I will not be adding buffer beam detail to 58005 as it will be running inside  58004 and test car 6. 58005 remains to be weathered as well as ohle warning flashes on the cab fronts.

58040 will need name plates- Cottam Power Station, weathering and a detailed bufferbeam and what I call (incorrectly?) ears adding.the boards to prevent access to the top of the solebars from the cabs.

It is perhaps worth noting the differing livery details of the two locos.

58005  has wire handrails instead of 'ears' and a white cantrail line between the cabs with the 'Railfreight' logo  below the secondman's cab window while 58040 has the ears, orange cantrail line that extends to the cab sides and front. The 'Railfreight' logo is moved to the cab front to provide space for the name plates.

The final picture today shows progress made today, namely, the addition of the jumper boxes and cabling and also illustrates the livery differences mentioned above

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1899.JPG

IMG_1900.JPG

IMG_1901.JPG

• Like 19

Do you use a transfer or lining pen for Cantrail lines? 56006 when it was blue the second time is on my wish list and one of the main things I will have to do is add this to a blue liveried donor. These look very neat!...

Tim.

Hi Tim,

Firstly can I say I have been enjoying looking at you progress with the weathering of your new HOA's...

The orange and white cantrail lining are transfers from Fox Transfers. The orange lines are sold as cantrail lining pack ref FG1991 and the white is cut down from Scot Rail coach branding ref F520. I apply and allow to dry for a couple of hours, then I (gently) wash over with 'Micro Sol' and allow to dry,  then repeat and repeat again if required. After each application of the micro sol the transfers sort of shrink on to any raised detail and end up looking more like they have been painted on, I hope that helps.

Cheers

Duncan

Edited by Duncan.
typo

16 minutes ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Tim,

Firstly can I say I have been enjoying looking at you progress with the weathering of your new HOA's...

The orange and white cantrail lining are transfers from Fox Transfers. The orange lines are sold as cantrail lining pack ref FG1991 and the white is cut down from Scot Rail coach branding ref F520. I apply and allow to dry couple of hours, then I (gently) wash over with 'Mirro Sol' and allow to dry  and repeat and repeat again if required. After each application of the micro sol the transfers sort of shrink on to any raised detail and end up looking more like they have been painted on, I hope that helps.

Cheers

Duncan

Thanks - I've enjoyed the HOAs and just finished adding loads. They were quite heavy to start with but I have faith that my 60s/66s will shift them.

Interesting. I've tried decalfix before and got a nasty residue. In fact I subsequently heard that some of the transfer manufacturers don't recommend that product. If lockdown continues and I get as far as 56006 I'll give this a try! 

I am pretty sure the blue EWS used was the right shade. As a man with many blue 56s would you agree?...

56006.jpg.ef0740a979c949a2bc1db3a8ab182460.jpg

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Timmy84 said:

Thanks - I've enjoyed the HOAs and just finished adding loads. They were quite heavy to start with but I have faith that my 60s/66s will shift them.

Interesting. I've tried decalfix before and got a nasty residue. In fact I subsequently heard that some of the transfer manufacturers don't recommend that product. If lockdown continues and I get as far as 56006 I'll give this a try! 

I am pretty sure the blue EWS used was the right shade. As a man with many blue 56s would you agree?...

56006.jpg.ef0740a979c949a2bc1db3a8ab182460.jpg

That blue look completely right, they even got the fading and weathering spot on too!

Tim I don't know if decal fix and micro sol are the same 'chemical'. I do know that I haven't suffered from residues- but I do apply sparingly and mop us any over zealous application with some miniature cotton buds (manufactured by Tamiya). I have attached a close up of 58040 and a cotton bud for your reference . I can't see residues, I hope you can see the way the transfer beds down over the raised detail.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1909.JPG

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

Warwells and Guards

Hi Everyone,

My Army Green paint arrived this morning and I wasted no time in spraying up the warwells... Janet has painted the  Modelu3d figures, and has remained relatively sane. Here's some photos of  these items.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1913.JPG

IMG_1911.JPG

IMG_1910.JPG

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

A photo study.

Here's a couple of views using different apertures, a small aperture F32 will give a great depth of field while a large aperture F5.0 gives a very small depth of field , in this picture the background is out of focus and fuzzy.

Class 58040 sits in Shirebrook station waiting  for the road, the brake pipes need painting red and yellow. If anyone wants to  download these photos and 'photoshop' out the dust on the front of the loco and re-post for me that would be great! (Where does it come from, I couldn't see it when I set the photo up!)

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1914.JPG

IMG_1915.JPG

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Warwells and Guards

Hi Everyone,

My Army Green paint arrived this morning and I wasted no time in spraying up the warwells... Janet has painted the  Modelu3d figures, and has remained relatively sane. Here's some photos of  these items.

Cheers

Duncan

Well done Janet, I can feel her pain from here!!

20 hours ago, millerhillboy said:

Well done Janet, I can feel her pain from here!!

Hi Craig, thank you, most kind. The modelling on the figures is so good, that I didn't consider it a pain at all, more a joy.

We're both grateful that you alerted us to them.

Keep well and safe.    Janet

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Craig, thank you, most kind. The modelling on the figures is so good, that I didn't consider it a pain at all, more a joy.

We're both grateful that you alerted us to them.

Keep well and safe.    Janet

I'm glad you agree on the quality, I too find painting them a joy, a tricky joy, but a joy none the less. I think they bring something extra to N gauge modelling for sure.

• Agree 1

Hello Everyone,

When i asked for suggestions for numbering a class 58 repaint I was doing, one suggestion , and the one chosen was 58005. This loco was paired with 58004 and Test Car 6 for wheel slip tests on the Sutton Colliery branch. Here we have re-created this scenario on Shirebrook  with the two locos and test car 6 heading towards Mansfield Concentration sidings ready to haul the Northfleet service.

IMG_1916.JPG

IMG_1917.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

N Gauge Society Warwells PFBs

Evening fellow modellers. I hope you are all well and coping in our isolation. I still work from home Monday to Friday so don't have lots of extra modelling time, however, I have completed the Warwell kits and attach a couple of photographs for you. These items will NOT be weathered, they will appear on Shirebrook as wagons just upgraded at WH Davis therefore they would be on their first run! A simple kit but still care needs to be taken. There are 26 separate transfers applied to each wagon! They have been finished with a light coat of satin varnish.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1918.JPG

IMG_1919.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

good work on the Warwells, I have a few of those to add decals to, keep putting it off, I have just done a set of pre '76 warflats and they took an age to do!

Are you going to load them?

Butler Printed Models are a great source for suitable 3D printed vehicles, being printed, they do not have the weight issues of whitemetal and are very well priced.

best wishes

Simon

Edited by bridgiesimon

8 hours ago, bridgiesimon said:

good work on the Warwells, I have a few of those to add decals to, keep putting it off, I have just done a set of pre '76 warflats and they took an age to do!

Are you going to load them?

Butler Printed Models are a great source for suitable 3D printed vehicles, being printed, they do not have the weight issues of whitemetal and are very well priced.

best wishes

Simon

Morning Simon,

Short answer 'no', long answer...

The photo below shows the branch to/from  W.H. Davis- wagon builders and repairers with a class 56 bringing a short rake of (Revolution) 100 tonners of the branch after a modification to the brake gear. This gives us the opportunity to run almost anything with the excuse that the stock concerned is running to/from WH Davis for repair/modification or is indeed 'new build'. Having something pristine to run rather than the weathered grimy coal wagons makes for a welcome relief. 

The 'story' for the warwells is that they too have been to WH Davis for overhaul and the addition of air brakes. I have added a lead weight to the underside of the warwells- I thought they were a little light.

Cheers

Duncan

32323647337_0d36e11cf2_o.jpg

• Like 7

And Now For Something Completely Different....

Some of my closest friends will know of my dislike for bought trees for layouts, they will be able to confirm of my mutterings such as, my likening of conifers to loo cleaning brushes and summer trees that look too heavily and too densely packed, lacking that likeness. Well I have to be honest and say that I have (probably) found a suitable prototype in my neighbourhood for such heavy trees. I have never seen a tree quite like it and if you look carefully in the background of the photo a more 'normal' tree for this time of year can be spotted.  Taken this morning on my trip out for exercise purposes!

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1925.JPG

Edited by Duncan.
typo
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Duncan. said:

And Now For Something Completely Different....

Some of my closest friend will know of my dislike for bought trees for layouts, they will be able to confirm of my mutterings such as, my likening of conifers to loo cleaning brushes and summer trees that look too heavily and too densely packed, lacking that likeness. Well I have to be honest and say that I have (probably) found a suitable prototype in my neighbourhood for such heavy trees. I have never seen a tree quite like it and if you look carefully in the background of the photo a more 'normal' tree for this time of year can be spotted.  Taken this morning on my trip out for exercise purposes!

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1925.JPG

Duncan,

It looks as if somebody has photoshopped a head of broccoli onto a tree. Very unusual.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

It's all very well weathering the locos to improve our driving experience...

IMG_1930.JPG

But look he's only gone and broken off the buffer... that loco's not going anywhere now.

Edited by Duncan.
typo
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

58's weathering.

From the post above you will realise that not all went smoothly... however I am happy with the weathering. Almost complete, I need to add a dark (nearly) black to the inside of the exhaust ports and on some of the bodyside grilles.

I hope you can see the touch of rust under the grime on the silencers on the attached photos.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1928.JPG

IMG_1927.JPG

IMG_1926.JPG

Edited by Duncan.
typo
  • Like 8