1 hour ago, Duncan. said:

Hello Everyone,

Class 20028 weathered down to down hard worked locomotive typical of the Nottinghamshire fleet. Seen paired with 20063 and posed on the layout.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1986.JPG

IMG_1987.JPG

IMG_1988.JPG

Very nice Duncan, like the HEAs aswell, no comparison with the Farish example, shame no longer available.

Cheers

Simon

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

Very nice Duncan, like the HEAs aswell, no comparison with the Farish example, shame no longer available.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

The HEAs in the photos aren't finished yet and most have various etched parts to add. For such a simple wagon there is a lot of work to do converting and detailing the donor peco chassis.

Here's a picture of my workbench at the moment with more HEAs with even more work to do... I will have 36 when completed! I have found that the etches are very fragile and due to the parts they represent are easily damaged or broken off so I will try to strengthen them by adding plasticard and epoxy to strengthen, but again with so many to do that will take a long time.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1990.JPG

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

The Paint Shop

Next to progress through the paint shop is 56001 Whatley. This started in triple grey livery but will emerge in all over grey 'Railfreight' livery numbered 56002. Please note the cantrail grilles at number 2 end have been backdated to the original design using the 3d printed replacement from RBE concepts, these are obtained through 'Shapeways' and are eye wateringly expensive. The 'grid' grilles on the bodysides will also be changed for the correct square pattern mesh.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1999.JPG

IMG_2000.JPG

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The Paint Shop Part 2

Whoever decided to paint the cab window surrounds black was a sadist.

Here are some photos of 56002 from no1 and no2 ends with close ups of the replacement cantrail grilles and the replacement square pattern mesh on the radiator apertures.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_2003.JPG

IMG_2004.JPG

56002 cantrail grilles.jpg

56002 square pattern.jpg

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, porkie said:

Hells bell's that Thornaby class 20 is absolutely stunning 

Well what can I say, thank you very much. It was a partial repaint of the currently available 20048 model available from Farish. Perhaps the most difficult part was getting the body separated from the chassis. I have not replaced the circuit board for the lights in the nose as it will be running paired with another class 20 and therefore no lights should be on.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Duncan. said:

The Paint Shop Part 2

Whoever decided to paint the cab window surrounds black was a sadist.

Here are some photos of 56002 from no1 and no2 ends with close ups of the replacement cantrail grilles and the replacement square pattern mesh on the radiator apertures.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_2003.JPG

IMG_2004.JPG

56002 cantrail grilles.jpg

56002 square pattern.jpg

They certainly weren't thinking of N Gaugers!

I've nearly finished 47287 in dilapidated RfD livery. Didn't look hard enough before embarking on my "partial respray" from a Triple Grey and noted later yellow window surrounds with black window rims. Oh God....

Tim.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Paint Shop Update.

Morning all my main area of works this weekend just past has been 56002. I did some work on my fleet of Taylor HEAs and built 4 Parkside 24.5 tonners...

Here's a shot of 56002 for your pleasure.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_2007.JPG

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

At least with the black window surrounds you're spared the job of trying to show the black rubber windscreen gaskets that were a feature of the first 30.

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Really nice finish on that Duncan - wonderful as ever.

Where did the kick plates come from if you don't mind me asking?

Rich

Hi Rich,

They are moulded on the body, I have just picked them out with one of the Humbrol Metalcote range (ref 27001) remembering to buff up the dry paint to give a slight 2 tone effect. I intend to fade the loco to the condition shown ( please don't copy this post as copyrighted -owner Bill Atkinson) and I have added the roof mounted aerials to the original too.

19890503 Scan1751 56002 7V09 Kings Sutton

Edited by Duncan.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Evening All,

So here a couple of views of 56002 partially weathered. I have sprayed 2 colours with 3 more to go. I hope you think the colouring looks wrong, when further colours are added I hope (as always) that it will be 'pulled together'.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_2008.JPG

IMG_2009.JPG

• Like 12

Now weathered with a little tidying up to do and a final coat of matt varnish. Today I have sprayed dark to the roof and picked out the grilles, brake dust to the pre-faded and rusted bogies.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_2012.JPG

IMG_2013.JPG

IMG_2014.JPG

IMG_2016.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

7 minutes ago, 87023Velocity said:

Very nice Duncan, looking forward to seeing the finished loco posed on Shirebrook. Got a 56 in IPA at the moment which will become 56134 Blythe Power. 

Cheers

Simon

Good luck with your 56 Simon, I will look forward to that. I have my son's 58 to renumber and lightly weather, then there's my 36 HEAs to progress! 

Cheers

Duncan

6 hours ago, Carl. H. said:

Nicely done.  The weathering and fading is very good.  How about a steel cab variant in railfreight grey?  56064 maybe? 

Thanks Carl,

It is really difficult to take a photo that shows all the subtle colouring I have used. I sprayed light coats of dark rust and Rfd International blue onto the bogies (in a very controlled direction) and I can see it 'in the flesh' but not on a photo! 

If somebody wants a model of 56029 with a replacement steel cab at no1 end I might have a go at that, that will require two locos to start and I would need a purchaser to help fund that.

Cheers

Morning,

I took the opportunity to spray matt varnish over the loco early this morning. I took a couple of photos too while the loco is drying in the conservatory. The early sun was streaming in so I hope the close ups show the weathering better.

So on the bogies dark rust was sprayed first, horizontally from left and right along the sides, blue vertically downwards, rail grey from 45 degrees above the horizontal in same direction as the photo, likewise brake dust but horizontal.

The paint missing from the handrails at cabs is deliberate.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_2018.JPG

IMG_2019.JPG

IMG_2017.JPG

Edited by Duncan.
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

11 minutes ago, millerhillboy said:

blues an interesting one Duncan, but certainly effective.

Glad you're paying attention! Seriously if you look back at the prototype photo, click on it and enlarge  you can see a blue tone on parts of the bogie, so by spraying a light mist of blue and just catching some edges of surfaces  when the other colours are sprayed over you are left with just that hint and change of hue to the  brake dust (for example). I know in N it's pushing it but I assure you it gives a greater 3d effect and is notivable when viewed (in the flesh).

Cheers

• Informative/Useful 1