Loads of Dogfish Loads

Janet has been busy loading up my dogfish wagons, 22 so far. Is it ok to run seacows and dogfish in the same train? We will have a train of loaded Dogfish and another comprised of Seacows and Dogfish running empty.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_2028.JPG

IMG_2027.JPG

IMG_2026.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi Duncan,  the Dogfish look nice. With regards running Seacows with Dogfish, Seacows are air braked only but through piped for vac brakes.

Sealions are dual braked, you can see the big vac cylinders at one end. I seem to remember it was more common to run Sealions with Dogfish/ Catfish as all could be braked. 

Cheers

Simon

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

Morning Everyone,

I'm hoping you are all well. I have been doing a simple renumber and weather for a commission. This loco was repainted (slightly incorrectly) by Vic Berry of Leicester and has been  painted accordingly.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_2032.JPG

IMG_2033.JPG

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Dutch Dogfish

Morning.

I have been tuning some of my Dogfish Dutch. I was informed through RMweb that my all over grey dogs were either incorrect for the period modelled or indeed a fantasy livery, wrong for Shirebrook anyway. So I have made a start turning them into Dutch liveried examples, not the easiest of tasks as they were already weathered and loaded....here's the first batch... only one of these was purchased in dutch livery... but which one?

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_2034.JPG

IMG_2036.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

1 hour ago, RBE said:

I would guess the front right one with the OHLE labels on the yellow.

I'll have to call you the winner Cav! I have the ohle warnings to add to the others, when I've done them all. Any joy with the 56 grilles Cav?

Cheers

Duncan

My Next Projects...

I have been assembling parts for my next  Shirebrook projects. I am still progressing the HEAs and Dogfish and these will be my first call. 

I still need some tools and materials for my next projects but all parts have been requested/ordered.

The first project will be the conversion of 58037 into 58042 Ironbridge Power Station in Red Stripe Railfreight livery. (see photo below).

The second will be the  joint conversion of 56089 (into 56029) and 56014. Both of these Romanian built locos suffered collision damage during their lives 56014 being fitted with a steel cab at number 2 end and 56029 fitted with a steel cab at number 1 end during repairs. I intend to replicate these changes to the locos pictured... yes the lockdown has really got to me!

I will be finishing 56014 in BR Blue livery and I will be using this on Shirebrook. 56029 will be finished in 3T Grey and I would like to sell this loco on to help pay for the conversions... if you would be interested in purchasing the loco please PM me, the chassis is brand new, I have run it in. As a model it will be unique apart from my 56014 and 25 that CJM produced several years ago. I can paint to your preference (amount of weathering). 

Both locos will be back dated with the correct original pattern cant rail grilles and square pattern mesh on the loco side grilles as in my last conversion of 56002 (see a page or two back in this thread). If the etchers get back to work I may even fit replacement radiator roof grilles and etched radiator fans too. 56029 also sported round buffers at the Romanian end and ovals at the steel cab end!

Also below is a photo of my repaired TPM 60 with lifelike chassis and class 58043 renumber and light weather job.

Cheers

Duncan

Cheers

IMG_2038.JPG

IMG_2041.JPG

014.jpg

029.jpg

Edited by Duncan.
additional prototype- photos forgot to upload
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

56 Conversion Update.

The first job was to disassemble and strip the paint from both 56014 (Romanian) and 56089 (Doncaster) built locos.

Here I am pulling the light cluster backwards to free from body

Above I am pulling the light cluster backwards to release from the loco body. Next I gently pull the loco sides apart to release the cab interior detail from it's anchor points in the cab side glazing.

IMG_2056.JPG.9c756b033e269512c552be2cf6542fa8.JPG

After all the parts were removed (I could not remove one piece of glazing from 56089) it was into the stripper.IMG_2057.JPG.f478b1e2dd27c574e0898b08eaae2324.JPG

Hubble , bubble,toil and trouble....IMG_2060.JPG.ddf90ad94b4353262a7a541c0217216b.JPG Yes the glazing turns white and cracks up if you put it in the stripper!

Once cleaned with Cif and dried it was time to remove a cab. Carefully lined up and checked in the mitre block....IMG_2061.JPG.973a2d66d707999cc4c8729364b4cbf8.JPG

to the point of no return. I very carefully cut the cabs from number two ends of both locomotives.

IMG_2062.JPG.d219e53164d2e3c40339cd1a0f6771a5.JPG

Ouch!

IMG_2063.JPG.f71941df8de3e540aafe1ac9312caa78.JPG

I glued(with Slaters Mek Pak a piece of 0.10" plasticard (the same thickness of the saw blade I used to remove the cabs) to the rear of the cut off cabs, (not as shown above to the bodies). When dry I trimmed around the cabs before gluing the cabs and plasticard 'bulkhead' to the bodies making sure the bodysides lined up to the cabs. 

Hey Presto...!!

IMG_2067.JPG.c05293e65aa9d5391f29b0b9bf90038b.JPG

You can clearly see the white plasticard spacer to replace the material lost during the cut.

IMG_2069.JPG.cb2c579a92906042a9a8ea436fa57c31.JPG

I trimmed away the bulkhead when thoroughly dry as shown. Then I could reunite the modified bodies to the chassis,IMG_2070.JPG.0715366f8464876a83f0d3adede2de63.JPG

Voila!

There's still much to do. The cantrail grilles on 56029 need to be replaced for original pattern types as well as new grilles for the radiators before repainting can start.

Watch this space!!

FYI  I'm not quite a nervous wreck!

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

Hi Duncan - just to ensure I am following whats happening here, did the Romanian loco get a Doncaster cab and vice versa? I agree lockdown may be taking it's toll...! 

Maybe I'll renumber some more EWS 66s. Or maybe not!! 

Tim

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Timmy84 said:

Hi Duncan - just to ensure I am following whats happening here, did the Romanian loco get a Doncaster cab and vice versa? I agree lockdown may be taking it's toll...! 

Maybe I'll renumber some more EWS 66s. Or maybe not!! 

Tim

Morning Tim,

I had two locos, one Romanian built and one Doncaster built so one original cab and one steel cab, I cut the cabs at no2 end from both locos, and put the original cab on the Doncaster loco and the steel cab on the Romanian loco... so now I have one loco with a a steel cab at no 1 end and an original cab at no2 end and another loco with a steel cab at no2 end and an original cab at no1 end... clear as mud?:scratch_one-s_head_mini:

The loco with the steel cab at no1 end will become 56029 and the loco with a steel cab at no2 end will become 56014... I think!!

I'm off to listen to Dazed and Confused by Led Zep now to clear my head....

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Steven B said:

I thought I was being brave planning some conversions of Mk1s!

Steven B.

Well I think you are being brave. Please let me know when you start cutting! 

Cheers

Duncan

56 Conversion Update 2

Evening All,

The locos are pictured on my home made paint spray stand. They can be seen in the company of a class 58 (started out in EWS but will become 58042 Ironbridge  Power Station).IMG_2078.JPG.a68dfb0e1e1d4365bfe8007862a63a2c.JPG

The  close up is of what will become 56029. It is always a relief when paint starts going on, this example was primed, then lightly coated with white undercoat before the warning panel yellow was applied, You can also see the replacement cantrail grilles. After suitable drying time 24-36 hours the loco will be masked up before rail grey is applied to the lower bodysides.IMG_2079.JPG.090783bb4ff464336c03b0ac33c10892.JPG

I will post the changes and progress in a couple of days.

Cheers

See ya

Edited by Duncan.
typo
  • Like 9

Hi Duncan,

Don't know how you managed to take the saw to the model. I was cringing just looking at the photos, but you've done a brilliant job. 

What are the visual cab differences on the prototype between the 'steel' and the 'orginal'? I don't know the 56s all that well so sorry if it's an obvious question. 

Brilliant modeling as always. All the best,

Dave

16 minutes ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Hi Duncan,

What are the visual cab differences on the prototype between the 'steel' and the 'orginal'? I don't know the 56s all that well so sorry if it's an obvious question. 

The first 30 locos were constructed in Romania, the cabs they had  I think  were made from aluminium they were rounded at edges and 'sat' on the buffer beam. They were very drafty and drivers could often be seen climbing into sleeping bags to keep legs warm!

Locos built from about 56052 (??) had cabs fabricated from steel and were much more angular at edges, came over the buffer beam. The cab windows were fitted in a different way.

Rather than break copyright can I advise you do a google image search for 56001 and 56100 you will easily see the differences.

Cheers

• Informative/Useful 1

56 Conversion Update 3

Hi,

56014 is taking shape. This loco started off as a Romanian example but has had a steel cab fitted at no2 end (to the right of the photograph)IMG_2086.JPG.591ad0f12b98f95e51b16db935f3e12e.JPG

Here is a photo of the original Romanian cab.

IMG_2088.JPG.bdb7fb5ed0122f536bc73798edaba35e.JPG

56029 will be finished next, this takes longer due to the additional colours used in the livery.

Cheers

Duncan

Edited by Duncan.
typo
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, 37114 said:

Accident damage repairs, it seemed BR only used spare BREL cabs.

I guess there weren't any spare Romanian cabs as production had ceased in Romania?? Does any one know?