2 minutes ago, Steven B said:

You were taught to air-brush by CJM? That explains a lot! :)

Do we need a generic 1980s N Gauge modelling thread? Sort of like "Wright Writes" but with less 4mm scale 1950s steam locos?

Steven B.

I think we need a scale specific N scale section like 2mm

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Funny thing is that I thought exactly the same thing when I saw the two tone grey class 20. And wondered if it was Duncan who was Statesman N. 

I'm happy to say that the locos I had commissioned by you 19yrs ago, are going strong. 

Phil 

• Thanks 1

Oh Phil, you're very kind. I am delighted that the locos are in good order, I still take commissions  and perhaps your comment is the best recommendation so thank you.

Cheers

Duncan

Hi

I have started work on Hobbs Bridge Goods recently, just a break from wagons and locos and wagons and locos. Please check my Hobb's Bridge Goods page for future updates, I like to think of Hobb's Bridge as being very different to Shirebrook,-only 76 cm long. Here's a taste.

IMG_2178.JPG.d8ff43c7f149c27fe9833ef4049ba712.JPG

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

A shunter's diversion.

I hope you are all keeping well.

Back in the 1980's I lived at Treeton. Just a 5 minute walk from home were the exchange sidings for Orgreave coking plant. It was here that I took my son to watch the trains roll past and the assembling of the coke services to Scunthorpe. The loaded wagons were brought to the exchange sidings by a little Yorkshire Engine Co 0-6-0 shunter. 

So I was delighted to be commissioned to make one. I have been painting a 3D printed bodyshell available from the Shapeways shop. It fits to a modified Farish class 03 or 04 chassis.

As a side note, I checked google maps of the area before writing this post and noticed that 'Orgreave' has almost completely disappeared to be replaced by 'Waverley', Waverley Lane, Waverley Lake,etc, is this a deliberate act to try to get us to forget about the 'Battle of Orgreave' during the Miner's strike?

Here are some photos of my (slow) progress.

IMG_2235.JPG.5bb618fc9e6da951b6b106d99ea8bea7.JPGIMG_2237.JPG.b876578f2ec308efcb6207c8ed1bc004.JPGIMG_2236.JPG.4d1cdbd56ddcd1ae36f4b2e0a3ffdbb9.JPGIMG_2247.JPG.a28102af385d02e41288d330c0570bc4.JPGIMG_2248.JPG.28302b1962e05ab3b22c3d9cce5f3dab.JPG

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 12

On 22/08/2020 at 13:11, Duncan. said:

IMG_2248.JPG.28302b1962e05ab3b22c3d9cce5f3dab.JPG

Hi,

Thanks for the likes. I have to say I'm not fully happy with 3D printed models, they always feel 'soapy' even after washing and I feel uneasy about how the paint goes on.... The point of this post is to say that I was unhappy with the printed handrails and have drawn up an etch for sharper handrails. I have included two versions and coupling hooks.  The body is from Maridunian Models to be found on the Shapeways website https://www.shapeways.com/shops/maridunian-models  and I'll let you know when my etches are ready, I'll be able to finish this shunter!

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Well household projects, work and other commitments have taken me away from the modelling bench. I was excited and delighted with the IPA  from RevolutioN that was delivered this week. I think it is the best model they have produced to date. Here's a quick photo of it on the layout.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_2350.JPG

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

The body doesn't need lowering on the later batches, the high riding was only present on a few of the initial release locos.

The 47 looks great Duncan, maybe an opportune moment for me to drop a pic of my railfreight 47, although mines a full respray as RTR wasn't available at the time. I would recommend replacing the moulded handrails with wire though, makes a massive difference.

1701670477_2017-08-3008_43_50.jpg.bf4dd748af00f93934759a86432a9ec1.jpg

• Like 15

I really like the original Railfreight livery on a 47 and I had considered purchasing a model of 47018 and renumbering it to 47237, but I’ve not tried renumbering anything in N gauge yet and feel a little daunted. Any tips Duncan? 
I’m not even sure who to get the numbers from actually?

Its no different to a 4mm scale loco. Gently rub the factory numbers off with a cotton bud soaked in a little white spirit or thinners then use decals of choice for the numbers. I like rub down versions to eliminate any carrier film but for waterslide I prefer Railtec as the carrier film is very thin.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

I really like the original Railfreight livery on a 47 and I had considered purchasing a model of 47018 and renumbering it to 47237, but I’ve not tried renumbering anything in N gauge yet and feel a little daunted. Any tips Duncan? 
I’m not even sure who to get the numbers from actually?

4 hours ago, RBE said:

Its no different to a 4mm scale loco. Gently rub the factory numbers off with a cotton bud soaked in a little white spirit or thinners then use decals of choice for the numbers. I like rub down versions to eliminate any carrier film but for waterslide I prefer Railtec as the carrier film is very thin.

It has been said that rub down are superior to waterslide transfers due to the lack of carrier film. However I find waterslide easier to work with. When you see my locos that I have renumbered you are looking at waterslide transfers. My preferred brand is Fox. However as you can see from the photos above  I think the transfers on my 47362 (Fox) and Cav's 47190 (Railtec) both look great.

I have found that it is not possible to use Microsol and Microset solutions with Railtec transfers. (These solutions are used to help transfers form to a ridged surface, but that's not an issue with renumbering a 47.

If you are applying separate numerals to make a 5 digit number you will find it easier if you apply the number over a series of days. So do your 2 on each side of the loco and leave to dry. Tomorrow you can add a 3 and a 7 (of the '47' part of the number) to each side, take care not to let water contact the dry '2'. Allow to dry overnight. Then on the third day (sound like the Easter story) you can add the 4 and the 7 again keeping the previously applied numbers dry.

I use a cocktail stick to drag transfers off the backing and into position on the model and I use a quality kitchen roll to blot water off the surface.

Ensure that the surface to which you are applying the transfer is oil and grease free, keep your fingers off it! You could clean it first with a cotton bud and a weak and warm washing up solution, blot with kitchen roll and allow to air dry. 

I also cut the transfers from the transfer 'sheet' with a scalpel (new blade) as close to the digit as I can.This keeps the carrier film to a minimum.

Once all the transfers are dry if you have an airbrush spray lightly with satin or matt varnish to match the model. If no air brush I would gently paint a thinned satin varnish over the numbers applied.

Cheers

Duncan

• Informative/Useful 6

I would agree there Duncan. Rub downs are a pain to apply I simply tape over them with masking tape to hold them firm while rubbing them down with a sharp pencil. You are right though its easier to push waterslide transfers around to get things lined up. You must also make sure the surface you are applying waterslide decals to has a very glossy finish or you will end up with carrier silvering which will look even worse once the varnish coat is on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 minute ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Really helpful guys thanks for that.
I think I might give it a go at some point   and I’ve started looking at suitable models now.

Another possible candidate for renumbering is my model of 47209 Herbert Austin, as like Duncan I’m not too keen on named locos.

Hi,

I'm in the process of making 47436 into 47150 as mentioned above. I have had several mods to make. The roof mounted aerials had to be removed. There was a hole just above the buffer beam where it was possible to fit the supplied eth jumper which also required to be filled (no eth on this loco). I have replaced all the moulded handrails with wire ones on the ends of the loco and I will be detailing no1 end with the usual brake pipework and screw coupling.

The printed numbers 47436 on this loco came off very easily, probably too easily... I can see them coming off even with gentle handling, which is not ideal if you want to run the loco as 47436!  I will post some pictures in due course.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 2

On 09/10/2020 at 11:03, RBE said:

The 47 looks great Duncan, maybe an opportune moment for me to drop a pic of my railfreight 47, although mines a full respray as RTR wasn't available at the time. I would recommend replacing the moulded handrails with wire though, makes a massive difference.

IMG_2438.JPG.e0262b6375d6ecc9e6069272fec39a64.JPG

OK Cav,

I'll see your handrails and raise you a lamp Iron! (Well two actually there's another at the other end)

This will be 47120 when finished. The aerial has been removed wire handrails and lamp iron added,hole filled (for eth), pipework added, headcode panel painted black and roof partially respayed. 

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_2437.JPG.89a166897ec2470010e0de76ccb6ff3d.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

9 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Very clean lines on the black cab surround Duncan ... can I ask how you did them?

Rich

Hi Ric,

Not my work but that of Mr Bachmann-Farish. The loco is 47436 but I am changing the identity to 47120 RAF Kinloss. So I am only repainting the parts that I have to, the basic livery is the factory finish.

Cheers

Duncan

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Ric,

Not my work but that of Mr Bachmann-Farish. The loco is 47436 but I am changing the identity to 47120 RAF Kinloss. So I am only repainting the parts that I have to, the basic livery is the factory finish.

Cheers

Duncan

Ah! Sorry, I misunderstood the previous post!  Hope you and the family are ok Duncan.

1 hour ago, Duncan. said:

IMG_2438.JPG.e0262b6375d6ecc9e6069272fec39a64.JPG

OK Cav,

I'll see your handrails and raise you a lamp Iron! (Well two actually there's another at the other end)

This will be 47120 when finished. The aerial has been removed wire handrails and lamp iron added,hole filled (for eth), pipework added, headcode panel painted black and roof partially respayed. 

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_2437.JPG.89a166897ec2470010e0de76ccb6ff3d.JPG

Haha very nice indeed, my 190 also has a lamp iron as do all my 47's :D. You'll have to excuse the unweathered freightliners on this picture! 

Feature_11.jpg.83fc3889e01454c3fef89cd6be214cfe.jpg

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, RBE said:

Haha very nice indeed, my 190 also has a lamp iron as do all my 47's :D. You'll have to excuse the unweathered freightliners on this picture! 

Feature_11.jpg.83fc3889e01454c3fef89cd6be214cfe.jpg

Cracking picture Cav, are you going to fit replacement bogies, 5.1mm wheelsets and drop the ride height of the Freightliner flats?

Cheers

Simon

• Agree 1

I may well do at some point. Modelling has taken a back seat at the moment with other pressures and there lots of other things that need doing on BoT to get the whole layout upto speed when the exhibitions reopen, not least a redo of the station car park following an accident where I spilt glue all over the place.

Such is life.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1