Hi Everyone,

Once again my modelling (and everything else) has taken very much a back seat. I have been really ill over the past week with what I believe to be Covid 19. I am waiting to get the test results back. I feel a little better today but so very weak and tired. I can not taste anything but haven't really felt like food anyway... 

This post was not meant to be about me apologies... I have sprayed some paint this afternoon. I have added etched roof grilles to the 47 with fans to be added soon.

IMG_2454.JPG.94fe6c824d1e0fe8327f20b0c6fa036c.JPG

The loco remains to be weathered. It was tricky removing the raised rib around the moulded roof grilles due to the raised detail in close proximity slow and careful is the way to proceed.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

Hi Duncan,

Sorry to hear you've been unwell - I thought your thread a had been a bit quiet lately.  Hope its not the dreaded thing, but either way take your time and recover quickly.  Thoughts are with you, although I am really pleased to see that a bit of modelling has been done, suggesting your feeling a little better.  The work on the 47 looks superb.

Keep us up to date with how your getting on and take care.

Rich

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Duncan,

Sorry to hear you've been unwell - I thought your thread a had been a bit quiet lately.  Hope its not the dreaded thing, but either way take your time and recover quickly.  Thoughts are with you, although I am really pleased to see that a bit of modelling has been done, suggesting your feeling a little better.  The work on the 47 looks superb.

Keep us up to date with how your getting on and take care.

Rich

Hi Rich

I got the wrong result this morning

246600937.jpg.gallery.jpg.5c776fb883a0b3c9c2893929fe8f0ff7.jpg

POSITIVE

In fact both Janet and me are positive. We like to share everything!

Everybody please take great care.

Duncan

• Friendly/supportive 10

I wouldn't worry too much, a friend of mine got stuck in traffic on the way to her test and didn't make it there to get it done, still got a positive through the post a couple of days later.

The results of these tests are sketchy at best.

19 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Everyone,

Once again my modelling (and everything else) has taken very much a back seat. I have been really ill over the past week with what I believe to be Covid 19. I am waiting to get the test results back. I feel a little better today but so very weak and tired. I can not taste anything but haven't really felt like food anyway... 

This post was not meant to be about me apologies... I have sprayed some paint this afternoon. I have added etched roof grilles to the 47 with fans to be added soon.

IMG_2454.JPG.94fe6c824d1e0fe8327f20b0c6fa036c.JPG

The loco remains to be weathered. It was tricky removing the raised rib around the moulded roof grilles due to the raised detail in close proximity slow and careful is the way to proceed.

Cheers

Duncan

This looks great however. I need to get some roof grilles for my fleet I think.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RBE said:

I wouldn't worry too much, a friend of mine got stuck in traffic on the way to her test and didn't make it there to get it done, still got a positive through the post a couple of days later.

The results of these tests are sketchy at best.

Hi Cav,

I have not had problems breathing. But I have had an intermittent fever, really bad pains all over my body lost about 1/2 stone so far and I cannot taste anything, so it's be quite unpleasant.. Then we are isolating for 14 days so shopping is a problem.

Cheers

Duncan

• Friendly/supportive 3

Get well soon Duncan. 
My daughter works in a home for people with learning disabilities and twice now other members of staff have tested positive (although she’s only tested negative so far). It feels like it’s only a matter of time and I’ve had to cancel so many things in the last two weeks (including our Monday N gauge get togethers) as I can’t chance passing it on to people if I do have it. Nightmare.

That 47 is going to look very good with a bit of weathering on it. 47120 was always a bit of a celeb to us west country lads.
All the best to all of you.

Edited by Cowley 47521
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hope you are both feeling better soon and can resume modelling.  I'm amazed that my lot have not had it before now, as we've all been in some sort of contact with positive cases, but it does feel like the circle is closing in and it's only a matter of time.  My wife's just lost her sense of taste and says everything tastes bitter, plus she's feeling really tired so she's going to get tested through work.

• Friendly/supportive 2

6 minutes ago, Stuart A said:

Hope you are both feeling better soon and can resume modelling.  I'm amazed that my lot have not had it before now, as we've all been in some sort of contact with positive cases, but it does feel like the circle is closing in and it's only a matter of time.  My wife's just lost her sense of taste and says everything tastes bitter, plus she's feeling really tired so she's going to get tested through work.

Hi Stuart,

The last 5 days have been very difficult. We are both  (at last) starting to improve., but we are still both very tired and  it will be a slow recovery. It does sound that your wife has it- a test for her is essential. You need if you can to keep in separate rooms use separate towels, crockery and cutlery, sleep in separate rooms too! I know! You will need to isolate straightaway and not go out at all. We did the home test on ourselves. Got results just 2 days after the test. We will be thinking of you, try to keep us informed of your progress.

Cheers

Duncan

• Friendly/supportive 7

Hi Everyone, the covid is making life hard at the moment, It has left me so fatigued it is even difficult to think. I wanted to list the alterations I made to 47 436 to end up with 120..... As I mentioned the roof aeriels were removed, the moulded cab front handrails were replaced with wire ones and an additional lamp iron was added to the centre of the handrail below the cab windows. The moulded roof radiator fans and grilles have been replaced with  etched examples, these will be available from Mercig Studios. The 'headcode panels' on the cab fronts were picked out with black paint as per the prototype. One end as is usual for me has been detailed with normal pipework as supplied by Farish. Transfers are by Fox and the nameplates are from Shawplan.

It is a fair amount of work but has taken much longer than normal due to covid.

Cheers

Duncan

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Superb, Duncan, photos 3 and 4 could just be that .... ie. photos of the real engine !

Good luck with the recovery.

Regards,

Ian.

• Agree 1

I really like how you've dulled the base blue paint down before weathering Duncan. It's something that is so often over looked on medium or heavy weathering. I might be wrong, but on the photos it looks like the 'dulling down' also isn't uniform across the side which is more a nice touch. Cracking model as always, very impressive. 

I hope you are at least improving health wise. Look after yourself. 

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, millerhillboy said:

Lovely job Duncan and you've been rewarded with an unusual and interesting model, entirely prototypical as well. Something to be proud of for sure.

Yeah thanks, I think it is a rare model. Many of the locos on Shirebrook are renumbered and all are weathered to a degree. There were so many locos on the BR system  during the period that Shirebrook is set I think it would be a pity not to individualise my fleet. I do sometimes feel cheated at a model railway show (remember them!) when the loco fleet is just a selection of rtr models that looks like the manufacturers catalogue. It is an easy job to renumber, more difficult to make body changes to reflect a certain prototype and weather but as you say the rewards for the modeller and the viewer at a show is, I think, equally rewarding.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

Totally agree, I have a thing about RTR out the box numbers. Nothing wrong with it of course but I just prefer a different identity.

I converted one of my farish peaks into a split box job which I'm hoping elevates it into the same category as your 44, although split box peaks were far from unusual but they are in N gauge!!

• Like 2

I agree Duncan. I always renumber mine. Ironically two of my 47s, 550 and 436 were repainted examples that Farish then came along and released later so it makes mine now look like straight RTR locos! Not really happy about that.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, millerhillboy said:

Totally agree, I have a thing about RTR out the box numbers. Nothing wrong with it of course but I just prefer a different identity.

I converted one of my farish peaks into a split box job which I'm hoping elevates it into the same category as your 44, although split box peaks were far from unusual but they are in N gauge!!

Can you post a picture of your 45 please

Cheers Duncan

• Agree 1