4 hours ago, RBE said:

I agree Duncan. I always renumber mine. Ironically two of my 47s, 550 and 436 were repainted examples that Farish then came along and released later so it makes mine now look like straight RTR locos! Not really happy about that.

C'est la vie!

• RMweb Premium

Personallising a loco, be it just weathering, renumbering or a complete repaint is always rewarding (if occasionaly frustrating along the way).

That said, it is quite nice when Dapol or Farish produce a model matching the livery and number of one known to operate in the area you model!

Steven B.

• Agree 4

Hi Duncan,

44010 looks the business, I have never had much to do with Peaks but looking on Flickr the grills look spot on, especially the see through effect. 

I'm glad to hear you're on the mend and getting back to modelling, the 47 looks very smart. A quick question - how do you manage to removed the moulded handrails so neatly? Every time I've done it, it's been part of a full respray thankfully, as any patch painting never matches the factory paint I find. You would never know on your loco that you've done any work that's affected the paint.

Cheers

Jo

• Friendly/supportive 1

46 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Hi Duncan,

44010 looks the business, I have never had much to do with Peaks but looking on Flickr the grills look spot on, especially the see through effect. 

I'm glad to hear you're on the mend and getting back to modelling, the 47 looks very smart. A quick question - how do you manage to removed the moulded handrails so neatly? Every time I've done it, it's been part of a full respray thankfully, as any patch painting never matches the factory paint I find. You would never know on your loco that you've done any work that's affected the paint.

Cheers

Jo

Hi Jo,

Covid recovery is slow and difficult for me, but I am going in the right direction. I cut off the hand rails with a new scalpel blade I use swann morton no 15A. I don't cut the handrail off in one go, I make many light cuts until I reach the base profile. I never force a cut and I take care, one slip could be costly! I use Precision paints and I mix colours to try and match the factory paint, weathering and fading help the completed model

Cheers

Duncan

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...

They look great Duncan, especially with all the individual paint jobs.

I cannot believe that in this day and age we still have no decent RTR example of this wagon in N.

May have to resort to looking at what can be done to the Farish example, especially the hideously thick chassis.

Regards

Scott

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Scott B said:

They look great Duncan, especially with all the individual paint jobs.

I cannot believe that in this day and age we still have no decent RTR example of this wagon in N.

May have to resort to looking at what can be done to the Farish example, especially the hideously thick chassis.

Regards

Scott

Thanks Scott. The Farish rtr ones are a disappointment, it's not just the hideously thick chassis but the impact that has on the hopper- making the sides too squat! (as the overall wagon height is correct). It would be impossible to run a mixed rake of Farish and TPM examples together. Knowing my luck, having spent so long working on the HEAs RevolutioN will announce HEAs as their next wagon project... think  about it... HSA and MEA varients plus the barrier wagon conversions, but if they do, a rake this big at £40 per wagon would set me back over £1400, that makes me feel better about the tricky kit build! 

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Lovely work as even.

I've got a rake of eight of Bernie's HEAs (although they look a little worse for wear as brake levers have fallen off over the years).

I hadn't realised until seeing your model with main and reservoir brake pipes that they were built with both - they appear to have had the reservoir pipe removed in the mid-1980s.

Whose tail lamp are you going to use?

Steven B.

Edited by Steven B

9 minutes ago, Steven B said:

Lovely work as even.

I've got a rake of eight of Bernie's HEAs (although they look a little worse for wear as brake levers have fallen off over the years).

I hadn't realised until seeing your model with main and reservoir brake pipes that they were built with both - they appear to have had the reservoir pipe removed in the mid-1980s.

Whose tail lamp are you going to use?

Steven B.

Hi Steven,

IMG_2498.JPG.2d8011db106a04151ee1ae34f51ac07c.JPG

Certainly a kit prone to losing detail etches, they are all so delicate and vulnerable! I have both Springside (whitemetal) and Modelu resin/plastic tail lamp types available.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

8 hours ago, EWS FAN said:

Hi Duncan hope you are both feeling better. Your rake of HEAs look fantastic.

Morning, Thank you for your kind wishes. I'm glad you like the HEAs, I will probably run a rake of 30 with the others in reserve as I expect there will be some casualties, and there are now no spare parts available!

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1

What's this apparition!

If you're familiar with Shirebrook you will be very aware that I try to run stock that is relevant to both modelled period and location, so you won't find a maroon warship or Freightliner liveried class 70 on the layout! So what are three 9ft wb wooden minerals from the 1920's (?) doing on the layout! 

IMG_2504.JPG.8832d91ca4fed2920c91f48294a0cd43.JPG

Yes OK it is a fiction! However, this is my excuse/reason/back story for their inclusion on Shirebrook. I got the inspiration from the preservation centre at Didcot. Quite some years ago there was a TOPS registered (POA?)wooden planked wagon that was air piped and used, I think, to convey coal from Wales to the centre for the steam locos there. I assume it was tripped to Didcot yard and then added to a trunk freight service to one of the South Wales yards and further tripped to one of the valleys collieries. 

The idea behind the Shirebrook 7 plankers is very similar- they have been restored and repainted into the original Shirebrook Colliery livery and are used to take coal to the Butterley Preservation Centre down the Erewash Valley.

The models themselves are the excellent Mathieson Models, unpainted kits (sadly no longer available), they have commendably thin sides and have the look of the prototype.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 8

Happy Christmas to you and your family too Duncan. 
Your amazing layout has given me lots of inspiration this last year and thank you very much for your kind answers whenever I’ve had a question. 
This year has been pretty rotten but hopefully it’ll start getting better from here.

Nick

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy Christmas to you too Duncan and hope that you are both feeling much better now.

Several rebooked shows for Burton on Trent have also been cancelled next year as well so I am actually planning now to cut Burtons shows completely for next year to allow improvements to be made and the Covid situation to settle. Like many I am sure, I personally am getting sick of the whole thing and want to draw a massive line under whole deal ASAP.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1