• RMweb Gold

Hi Duncan,

Looks good. I appreciate its N gauge and its a close-up so the camera always sees more than the eyeball, but its a shame that wire couldnt just be a bit closer to the walkway base.  Sorry, I am nitpicking!  Great job - are you going to make your signal frets available for purchase :)

Rich

4 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Duncan,

Looks good. I appreciate its N gauge and its a close-up so the camera always sees more than the eyeball, but its a shame that wire couldnt just be a bit closer to the walkway base.  Sorry, I am nitpicking!  Great job - are you going to make your signal frets available for purchase :)

Rich

Hi Rich,

I hope to make the etches available. Some need to be redrawn to ease holes etc. I do use nickel silver as opposed to brass, it is stronger.

The photos are cruel. The railings are 0,2mm wide and the wire is 0.28mm diameter. In reality the wire is not really visible, I will try to glue the wire into a tighter right angle to make it less noticeable. I have yet to add operating linkages... that will be the most difficult task.....

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 4

On 09/02/2021 at 22:12, Duncan. said:

Hi Rich,

I hope to make the etches available. Some need to be redrawn to ease holes etc. I do use nickel silver as opposed to brass, it is stronger.

The photos are cruel. The railings are 0,2mm wide and the wire is 0.28mm diameter. In reality the wire is not really visible, I will try to glue the wire into a tighter right angle to make it less noticeable. I have yet to add operating linkages... that will be the most difficult task.....

Cheers

Duncan

Zooming in on something this small does show up any tiny little imperfections that you hadn’t noticed before, but when you see it on the layout you don’t notice it because you just see it sitting in the scene.

It’s so much better than anything I could ever achieve (as is the whole layout), but we’re sometimes looking at these photos through the eyes of a 00 gauge lens in a way. 
It’s an incredibly crisp bit of modelling Duncan and as always when I see what you do it inspires me to try a bit harder with what I’m making.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Revisiting a shunter

Back on page 37 of this thread I started painting a Yorkshire Engine Co 0-6-0 . It is a 3d print. I was unhappy about the printed handrails so I deceided to drawn my own and get them etched in nickel silver.

I have completed the build and weathered the loco.

IMG_2718.JPG.507aa0ae07952c95d8763381dc87a1f8.JPG

Here it is hauling a short rake of HTVs past Shirebrook depot.

IMG_2716.JPG.31258a36771a97b92be130b3813e5904.JPG

And in cruel  close up.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Cleaning up my act?

This loco is completely out of place at Shirebrook, I order this loco to support Mike and Ben at the start of their Revolution. 

So I have decorated it to my son's wishes and he will soon receive the model. I have to say I was surprised  when I took it out of the box for the first time just how 'plasticy' it looked.:(

Now it has been fitted with the excellent transfers and etched 'arrows' and Crewe IETD depot plaques (not so impressed with the plaques) provided with the model and etched name plates from Shaw Plan, but why have the number sets for the cast plates  locos been omitted from the transfer sheet? I had, therefore to build the numbers from several number sets on the transfer sheet the repeated 030 on the cab fronts wereIMG_2719.JPG.1427048ecd97d2f2902b9bf714a755e0.JPG really tricky!

Next I gently weathered the loco and I think it has transformed the model giving it the weight and presence of the prototype. I paid special attention to the bogies and roof. I also added the red to the 'polo mints' that was tricky not to over do it, do you think it's the red is too heavy?

IMG_2725.JPG.c637f4b13faacf8f8e7aed6b91e4b068.JPG

IMG_2721.JPG.92fbf0af9b3ce816ba2371e2719e4a4c.JPG

This will be it's first and last appearance at Shirebrook:( I hope you like it.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_2723.JPG.d3ce6c447acd83614282959c6d54e09e.JPG

IMG_2726.JPG.7d888ef674e58fc976a17c051c0b4fb9.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Has the potential for a one off running day around a 1994 Open Day at the depot Duncan!!

Weathering looks nice, although I might personally have gone a little heavier ... although it depends on what period your son is modelling of course.

Well done.

Rich

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MarshLane said:

Has the potential for a one off running day around a 1994 Open Day at the depot Duncan!!

Thanks Rich for your comments... did a 92 go to Shirebrook for an open day?

my son only wanted a light weather.... I attach a before view here when it came out of the box... very shiny and, well plastic looking. the bogies have little definition and the roof looks toy like to me. 

279802258_before1.JPG.50304b723d759f5d8c845773ebd46bc3.JPG

I repainted two of the insulators brown as in the prototype photos I had to hand  were not white as portrayed on the model.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Signalling Success or Failure?

IMG_2730.JPG.c1f32774fbf1ae46a27e03278fbe457c.JPG

I'm not sure if you can see that the LEDs are illuminated, but  I assure you they are. Sorry the photos are a bit shaky.

IMG_2729.JPG.e2036aec686eb969c104d2cf52f83aca.JPG

The spectacles are made from micro glaze and coloured with Windsor and Newton inks, red and blue.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Round of applause 3

Have a look at glass paints, Duncan. They will do the glazing and colouring in one hit and will give more consistent results. I used them on my aborted RTP semaphore prototype. Colours I used were turquoise and vermillion. I would have bought a yellow for distants too if the signal project had been successful.

GlassPaint.jpg.5b7163aed9da2921787a6be2cb4bed32.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 21/02/2021 at 15:39, Duncan. said:

Cleaning up my act?

This loco is completely out of place at Shirebrook, I order this loco to support Mike and Ben at the start of their Revolution. 

So I have decorated it to my son's wishes and he will soon receive the model. I have to say I was surprised  when I took it out of the box for the first time just how 'plasticy' it looked.:(

Now it has been fitted with the excellent transfers and etched 'arrows' and Crewe IETD depot plaques (not so impressed with the plaques) provided with the model and etched name plates from Shaw Plan, but why have the number sets for the cast plates  locos been omitted from the transfer sheet? I had, therefore to build the numbers from several number sets on the transfer sheet the repeated 030 on the cab fronts wereIMG_2719.JPG.1427048ecd97d2f2902b9bf714a755e0.JPG really tricky!

Next I gently weathered the loco and I think it has transformed the model giving it the weight and presence of the prototype. I paid special attention to the bogies and roof. I also added the red to the 'polo mints' that was tricky not to over do it, do you think it's the red is too heavy?

IMG_2725.JPG.c637f4b13faacf8f8e7aed6b91e4b068.JPG

IMG_2721.JPG.92fbf0af9b3ce816ba2371e2719e4a4c.JPG

This will be it's first and last appearance at Shirebrook:( I hope you like it.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_2723.JPG.d3ce6c447acd83614282959c6d54e09e.JPG

IMG_2726.JPG.7d888ef674e58fc976a17c051c0b4fb9.JPG

Hi Duncan,

I hope you are keeping well. Great improvement on the 92. Looks really good. You've got the red about right. How did you do it? Have you also done the 'outside' of the polo mints? It doesn't come across on the photo. The only thing that still stands out as looking a bit toy like is the headlight covers. I still don't have a good plan for mine yet, but I think a dark wash would blend them in. Even when the locos were new, the highlight covers were very dark. 

BRITISH RAIL EWS 92005 MOZART

The signal is also very impressive! 

All the best,

Dave

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Hi Duncan,

I hope you are keeping well. Great improvement on the 92. Looks really good. You've got the red about right. How did you do it? Have you also done the 'outside' of the polo mints? It doesn't come across on the photo. The only thing that still stands out as looking a bit toy like is the headlight covers. I still don't have a good plan for mine yet, but I think a dark wash would blend them in. Even when the locos were new, the highlight covers were very dark. 

BRITISH RAIL EWS 92005 MOZART

The signal is also very impressive! 

All the best,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I agree with your comment about the headlight clusters. As I said above the loco straight out of the bx looked really plasticy. I think a coat of matt varnish on the clusters may improve them perhaps some black marker pen too.

The red on the polos... normally I use enamels for all my painting but in this case I used acrylic Tamiya clear red (slightly thinned with acrylic thinner) normally used for brake lights on cars and motorbike kits to colour the clear plastic. I tried to paint only the surfaces that required painting but inevitably paint got onto other surfaces, I used a brush, not an air brush. When dry and hardened I used a fibre pen to clean up. I did not notice that the outside of the polos also need painting red oops!

Cheers

Duncan

• Informative/Useful 1

Advance Notice-Major Engineering Works at Shirebrook Hidden Sidings.

Buses will replace train at weekends until May 2021 while major track remodeling and changes to control circuits are made at the departure end of the Up hidden sidings.

The single lead junction between the hidden sidings and the Clipstone branch will be replaced by a conventional double tracked junction. This will increase line capacity and simplify operations at this busy location (as well as providing headache relief to the operators at exhibitions).

IMG_2734.JPG.8f713e672031b89c3f2c0faee555c3a7.JPG

Network Rail (Shirebrook) will ensure all noisy operations are carried out during daylight hours in line with national policies. During the closure periods the operating authorities will also take the opportunity to extend the length of the WH Davis storage sidings after increased activity at the wagon builders and repairers. It is rumored that bogie hoppers for Peak rail are to be built there along with new Nuclear flask wagons and large hoppers for something called biomass whatever that is. It is anticipated that there will be minimal disruption to weekday colliery traffic. Buses may replace certain weekday services between Shirebrook and Worksop, notice to be given closer to those times.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 21/02/2021 at 19:23, Duncan. said:

Signalling Success or Failure?

IMG_2730.JPG.c1f32774fbf1ae46a27e03278fbe457c.JPG

I'm not sure if you can see that the LEDs are illuminated, but  I assure you they are. Sorry the photos are a bit shaky.

IMG_2729.JPG.e2036aec686eb969c104d2cf52f83aca.JPG

The spectacles are made from micro glaze and coloured with Windsor and Newton inks, red and blue.

Cheers

Duncan

Superb stuff, really impressed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New Track Layout Wiring

Here's the new wiring arrangement for the track changes. The wires to the diode matrix come from the 'Up' Panel unless shown.

IMG_2736.JPG.ce5ab1bc4cf1fa616670c9b2b6b767d9.JPG

Two relays  are used to switch the polarity of the diamond crossing vees and to which power circuit the diamond is connected (up or down controller). The relays them selves I found in my spares box, they are Arnold 2P2W latching relays circa  1977.

IMG_2737.JPG.d63826e64b5c1160a35a4bcfdc9734fb.JPG

The pale blue dots are contact studs on each of the panels to set the route with an electric pen. You may be wondering why on the down panel it is not possible to set the route from Down Clipstone to Down Main and into the down storage sidings. This is because that route conflicts with the Up Main so if you are operating the down lines you need to ask the Up Panel operator to set the route. Setting that route will simultaneously set the up line to Up Clipstone so hopefully collisions should be avoided!

You will have to come along to exhibitions we are attending (when they start up again) to see if I'm right.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 6

On 03/03/2021 at 20:49, Duncan. said:

You will have to come along to exhibitions we are attending (when they start up again) to see if I'm right.

Cheers

Duncan

German SARS-COV-2 vaccination programme willing, will see you at the Wigan Show 2021 - if it takes place

es grüßt 

pc

• Friendly/supportive 1

Track Layout Changes Update

Hi,

Work began this weekend on the track changes. Wires were de-soldered and pulled back to the underside of the baseboard, most were labelled so that they can be resoldered  in their new positions.

IMG_2741.JPG.9ad59ae35e38af5143ce82b77535d516.JPG

The previous track layout was gently lifted for recycling where possible. The centre lines of the new track layout were drawn on the cork base, position of tie bars evaluated, new holes drilled and the cork surface sanded ready for the new trackwork.  

IMG_2740.JPG.3eb320766726f235044b49573df7b488.JPG

In the photo below the first point (bottom left) has been glued and pinned down. The remainder of the new junction has been laid in place to establish the lengths of track to be cut from a length of flexitrack. I am taking great care to avoid dog legs, a common track laying fault which I notice on too many layouts on RMweb. Dog legs are a major contributor to poor running and derailments!

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_2743.JPG.857ee317aaf498c260d70a118b0a267c.JPG

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Track Layout Changes Update

Hi,

Work began this weekend on the track changes. Wires were de-soldered and pulled back to the underside of the baseboard, most were labelled so that they can be resoldered  in their new positions.

IMG_2741.JPG.9ad59ae35e38af5143ce82b77535d516.JPG

The previous track layout was gently lifted for recycling where possible. The centre lines of the new track layout were drawn on the cork base, position of tie bars evaluated, new holes drilled and the cork surface sanded ready for the new trackwork.  

IMG_2740.JPG.3eb320766726f235044b49573df7b488.JPG

In the photo below the first point (bottom left) has been glued and pinned down. The remainder of the new junction has been laid in place to establish the lengths of track to be cut from a length of flexitrack. I am taking great care to avoid dog legs, a common track laying fault which I notice on too many layouts on RMweb. Dog legs are a major contributor to poor running and derailments!

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_2743.JPG.857ee317aaf498c260d70a118b0a267c.JPG

I know I’m going to sound a bit stupid here Duncan, but what do mean by ‘Dog Legs’?

Do you mean sharp radius points?

5 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

I know I’m going to sound a bit stupid here Duncan, but what do mean by ‘Dog Legs’?

A dog leg is a sudden change of direction without a smooth transition. Visualise the hind legs of a dog - also the name used for a non-straight hole on a golf course.

es grüßt

pc 

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Hi,

Dog Legs... kinks at rail joints where the two sections of track have not been aligned correctly.

In the first photo you can see that the (peco) points and connecting track sections are aligned, effectively you cannot see the join between the point and the flexible track.

29708290253_19ba28ce1e_o.jpg.febe303621493ac1edb0019ebf201bee.jpg

In the next photo there is a dog leg, the only one on Shirebrook. Sorry the photo is not very clear. Within the drawn circle is the joint between the large radius RH point and the diamond crossing-it is a (slight) dog leg. That board is packed away at the moment so I can't take a more revealing photo. In my defence there is a reason for this bad joint...the 'straight' route is on a 55ft radius curve but peco points and crossings are dead straight so I had to live with a kink to get the track to fit and try to maintain the 'flow' It is in these situations where handbuilt track is better as the curve can be built through the pointwork so the 'flow' looks superb and dog legs can be avoided.

Inked40190891412_9340dca29e_o_LI.jpg.f8873d55550a9d383440be534d4829c7.jpg

By comparison the join between the diamond and the line curving to the left is fine, but in reality the curve of this branching line would be continuous through the diamond.

Many dog legs occur when the modeller is trying to pinch a bit and cram too much in the available space. Here in the final photo (credit to Bill Wright) of the real location you can clearly see the curve running through the diamond. It was one of the modelling compromises I had to make using Peco track!

Cheers

Duncan

4649726186_647f56de8a_o.jpg.444560404ecd3e60e5f5aef8b92a6e93.jpg

• Like 8

On 09/03/2021 at 09:58, Duncan. said:

29708290253_19ba28ce1e_o.jpg.febe303621493ac1edb0019ebf201bee.jpg

Inked40190891412_9340dca29e_o_LI.jpg.f8873d55550a9d383440be534d4829c7.jpg

Hi Duncan,

This is wonderful modelling, I was very impressed with the first picture, it’s quite hard to say but I did work out that it’s N gauge, the second picture, I thought was a real night time shot! The edge of the baseboard, top right was the only thing that gave it away.

Bravo!

John

• Friendly/supportive 1

40 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Hi Duncan,

This is wonderful modelling, I was very impressed with the first picture, it’s quite hard to say but I did work out that it’s N gauge, the second picture, I thought was a real night time shot! The edge of the baseboard, top right was the only thing that gave it away.

Bravo!

John

Many Thanks John,

I hope we can get back to showing the model at exhibitions! We only do limited shows, max a couple a year, I hope you will be able to come along to one. The next booked is Wigan in October... perhaps! For more photos of the layout please check my Flickr pages- link in my signature below

Cheers

Duncan

• Thanks 1