Track Layout Changes Completed

Hi,

The changes to the junction have been completed. The wiring has been modified  and additionally I haverealigned the curves that take the tracks onto the next baseboard. See below.

IMG_2744.JPG.26b1af3eae926101eab4d526376dcaf3.JPG

I know that all the model handbooks tell us to have track crossing baseboard joints at 90 degrees however sometimes that is not possible. I have tested the joints with the rolling stock shown in the photo above and it all works without problem.

It does make life difficult though and great care has to be taken cutting across the rails at an acute angle! The tracks are glued down with weather proof pva and pinned with lots of peco track fixing pins. The whole track formation is on a bed of 2mm thick cork sheet.

IMG_2745.JPG.fb67c574f9ccdf34948258456a8560b5.JPG

One track required the additional plasticard shim of 0.020 inch to get the tops of the rails perfectly level, clearly visible in the photo above. The generous use of track fixing pins helps keep everything in alignment. I use a slitting saw to cut the rails over the baseboard joint.

Wiring to the new lengths of rails has been completed too.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Hi Duncan,

I’ve always ignored this part of the textbooks - as long as the rails stay in alignment you’re good in my experience!

Are the two dead end sidings for trains that reverse?

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, MrSimon said:

Hi Duncan,

I’ve always ignored this part of the textbooks - as long as the rails stay in alignment you’re good in my experience!

Are the two dead end sidings for trains that reverse?

Cheers

Simon

Morning Simon,

I hope you are keeping well. 

I try to keep tracks across baseboards joints near to right angles as I can, there are many occasions when that is not possible. In those cases I try to keep tracks straight across the joint. The most difficult are where the track is curving across the joint as I have here i try to avoid these if  can, but agree with your comment.

The base board shown is one of 4 baseboards carrying the hidden sidings, the other three carry the majority of the hidden sidings

19642905413_4fe54246a2_o.jpg.f64595f06bf08141b66f5cb49cd12459.jpg

although the track layout has now changed you can see that the two sidings and small set of three storage roads is for WH Davis the wagon builders/repairers. One of the sidings is split into multiple isolating sections which can hold locos and the other for oddments of stock; maybe a couple of 'new' wagons that will appear from WH Davis at Shirebrook junction on the scenic side.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have been building and painting BBAs from 579 models. The kits formerly sold as Chivers Finelines are a welcome re-release. Here you can see bauxite, railfreight and freight sector (metals) liveries in preparation. I have a selection of transfers from Steadfast to add before weathering.

IMG_2747.JPG.5437c50fdbc95d0d216557cc92a09601.JPG

The prototypes carry varying styles of lettering and the bogies have several differing types of handbrake wheels I hope to model at least a few of the many permutations!

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/02/2021 at 05:44, 03060 said:

Hello Duncan,

I would be interested to know what you come up with regarding the rotatable couplings as I've read that some others have problems with wagons of this length. I've part built 7 of the OTAs and 3 STVs so far, just buffers and couplings to go and agree that they are very good, I've waited years to get hold of the Chivers OTAs and will definately be buying quite a few more.

Regards,

Ian.

On 02/02/2021 at 11:17, Cowley 47521 said:

Seconded Duncan, any advice on that would be much appreciated.

Hi,

Sorry it has been so long since I mentioned rotatable couplings for the STVs  (also applicable to the Five79 OTA and SPAs) but if you have been following the thread you will have seen that I have several other projects on the go!

Anyway here is my solution to the problem. I'm sure there may be neater and more professional solutions kicking around. Mine are bits I found in my materials boxes.

They are made from various plastic rectangular sections and 1mm diameter brass rod.

IMG_2764.JPG.c87e78853bfbb097998969259ffc7db0.JPG

Starting bottom left of the photo we have a modified coupling, the original 'end' has been replaced with a piece of styrene. I cut out a slot for the stem of the coupling to fit into. I used  superglue for this join. Once set I drilled a 1.2mm diameter hole as shown. 

I made a new coupling mount on the wagon as shown again from styrene ( I used solvent to attach to floor of the wagon) and drilled a 1mm diameter hole to fit a piece of 1mm brass rod. This is glued in place with super glue.  Also shown here is the base cap to secure the coupling-another piece of styrene drilled only part way through.

Bottom right shows the assembly less the base cap on the wagon. I shortened the brass rod to suit by trial and error until the coupling was held horizontally by the base cap but still free to rotate. The base caps (top left and right) were glued in place with small amounts of super glue so that the coupling remained free to rotate.

IMG_2767.JPG.3dd2d609a2af5fdcb9ac1a9543aecb54.JPG

Here is the final result- I don't have any curves this tight!

IMG_2768.JPG.a659fa818451cf985da1f9f464aaae2d.JPG

Cheers

Duncan

Edited by Duncan.
Additional photograph and text
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

The BBAs are nearing completion. Having previously stated that my rolling stock projects for Shirebrook had come to an end I feel I should add the word 'almost'. As well as this rake of BBAs, which just need weathering, I have the two STV pipe wagons, five HTV NGS kits which have just entered the paint shop. 3 of the HTVs I have modelled as re-bodied versions- that's a of changes and completing with lots of new parts cut from styrene sheet and  square section! When painted I will add etched details, foot steps hopper operating handles and handrails before weathering.

Then there's a few items on order from Revolution... a couple of holdall vans and class A tanks and 21 PFAs so much weathering to contemplate.

Almost finished!

IMG_2758.JPG.6df3dd4ac3de546d846432bf5f96d389.JPG

Cheers

Duncan 

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Really effective layout which really catches the look and feel of the time, your selection of stock is superb and very effective, very well done. I look forward to seeing it in the real world when it is next out and about.

Edited by jollysmart
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Yes Rich. It was full on... you can imagine how dirty the layout had become after being stored for so long. The layout was hoovered(!) tracks cleaned, a list compiled of repairs etc. Even some of the d-type connectors had rusted....

The revised electrics to control the altered track plan in the hidden sidings was also tested. I found one fault. The junction can be operated from 2 of the five control panels I found that one route selection from one of the panels was not functioning and will require tracing through. Some point motors were sticking occasionally.

It was also a chance to check the running qualities (or otherwise) of a year's stock building, HEAs, NGS Seacows, Warwells, as well as testing Sturgeons and IPA from Revolution.

Oh alright here's a couple more photos for you. First a couple of views of 47362  with a rake of Dogfish

DSC_9313.JPG.a2c1b233c7342bebda2f1e87898f5462.JPG

DSC_9315.JPG.2b2f16db90c677faf06e04cacdf00910.JPG

And here I am overseeing 56014 reversing the Taylor kit built rake of the 36 (shades of HEA) down the Welbeck Colliery Branch, which I can report  functioned faultlessly

DSC_9262.JPG.6c376ad0d148eca6441d52bfacd48b2c.JPG

Cheers

Duncan

Lovely photos, thanks for posting them as I don’t think I’d seen many of that part of the layout before.

I too have a major dust cleaning operation to do on the first parts of my layout. I’ve renovated the house right through over the last 18 months and unfortunately some of the dust has settled on Lapford...

Nick

30 minutes ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Lovely photos, thanks for posting them as I don’t think I’d seen many of that part of the layout before.

I too have a major dust cleaning operation to do on the first parts of my layout. I’ve renovated the house right through over the last 18 months and unfortunately some of the dust has settled on Lapford...

Nick

Of the St Vincent volcanic eruption type?

• Funny 2

Hi,

It was a pity to learn this week that the Wigan show has been cancelled for this year. We were really looking forward to October and getting Shirebrook back out on the road.

Here is a photo from last weekend's running test.

DSC_9322.jpg.a076dc3e0832e898ca03fc21763d4947.jpg

Let's look forward to happier days.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Hi,

It was a pity to learn this week that the Wigan show has been cancelled for this year. We were really looking forward to October and getting Shirebrook back out on the road.

Cheers

Duncan

Yup a real bummer when I heard that. I was also looking forward to it very much.

I expect once the vaccination programme is nearing completion events with mass participation will take place again.

es grüßt

pc 

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 23/04/2021 at 19:32, Duncan. said:

Hi,

Cheers

Duncan

We’re hopeful that we may be exhibiting my friends layout in October all being well, but by then it will have been two years since the last time we went to a show.

It’s a new layout so if there has been any kind of silver lining to this then I suppose it’s that we’ve had extra time to fettle it and run it in. That’s clutching at straws a little though really because it’s been fairly bleak...

Those pair of 20s put a smile on my face though Duncan.

Nick

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/11/2019 at 07:21, Duncan. said:

Hi Paul,

They were briefly in stock at the N Gauge Society shop. I saw them last week and ordered straight away. I see they are once again out of stock.:(

Cheers

Duncan

The Seacows are back in stock again if you need some.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 5 weeks later...

Shirebrook Updates #1 STV Pipe wagons

Hello, 

I hope you are enjoying this glorious bank holiday. I have come in from the hot sunshine to make some updates.

Please see original post for the stv wagons further up this page (43). I have finally got around to painting the models, on this occasion with a brush, not my air brush.

IMG_2832.JPG.9e41d0370222622170618df1ca18b9e2.JPG

I have decided that they will be the zdv engineers examples. 

IMG_2834.JPG.fbdf25291a959b6158bad36db62fc321.JPG

I don't have specific transfers available for these wagons. I had a look through my transfers box to find suitable transfers although not totally prototypically correct I think they work OK, see below.

IMG_2835.JPG.bf66f5abe0e97ac3086352139363348d.JPG

IMG_2836.JPG.f954ac6c0f5d1942c188e634dba36683.JPG

I'm really happy with them.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Shirebrook Updates #2 HTV hopper wagons

These wagons are kits supplied by the N Gauge Society.  I have made 5 in total, they are a little tricky and the etched detail parts available separately are really fiddly but are well worth the effort- I don't think the wagons look finished without them.

IMG_2826.JPG.a407cd90cb6452c2f5378c8848687370.JPG

IMG_2827.JPG.32cad5cac61bafc54e16142cad1395eb.JPG

IMG_2825.JPG.90464cf7c1528ae74bc243eb011c28c4.JPG

In these first 3 views the wagons have been fully built and the etched parts were pre-painted (satin white) before fixing to the wagon. Some parts of the etches need to be painted over with black/dirt/rust. I took these photographs so you can more easily see the etched parts. Below  there is a photo of some of the completed wagons. Please also note I have modified some of the kits to depict the rebodied welded hopper body, which required the careful removal of three of the bodyside strengthening ribs and changes to the hopper supports on the wagon ends.

IMG_2837.JPG.93e6e9cb6259d069cd20339a43ec03f1.JPG

The eagle eyed among you may notice the lack of vacuum cylinders, I will have to retro fit these in the future!

Cheers

Duncan

Edited by Duncan.
typo
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5