1 hour ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Night and day difference there Duncan. Superb modelling like usual. Looking forward to seeing the speedlink working on the layout. 

All the best,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I hope you're keeping well. I did consider doing a step by step on the conversion but it may only be of limited use, there being so few kits and wagons available!

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

Morning Duncan,

Love the STV wagons (as well as the others) and by coincidence I managed to grab these two shots whilst passing Oakworth on the KWVR yesterday to help me with the two that I have on my work bench (along with all of the others !)

Obviously in a 'preserved' condition but still showing signs  of a wagon that's spent a lot of time sat waiting in a siding. I wish that I'd raised the camera a little higher to capture more of the internal detail, maybe next time. 

Regards,

Ian.

D89D9DEE-F283-413B-99AB-F0E1F6E05C0F.jpeg

2624A2F9-2EA5-45E5-ABC6-F7C6D06D6DEA.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

16 minutes ago, 03060 said:

Morning Duncan,

Love the STV wagons (as well as the others) and by coincidence I managed to grab these two shots whilst passing Oakworth on the KWVR yesterday to help me with the two that I have on my work bench (along with all of the others !)

Obviously in a 'preserved' condition but still showing signs  of a wagon that's spent a lot of time sat waiting in a siding. I wish that I'd raised the camera a little higher to capture more of the internal detail, maybe next time. 

Regards,

Ian.

D89D9DEE-F283-413B-99AB-F0E1F6E05C0F.jpeg

2624A2F9-2EA5-45E5-ABC6-F7C6D06D6DEA.jpeg

Morning Ian,

I live about a mile from the KWVR and can hear the steam locos attacking the gradient regularly. The only time I travelled on it was when they were running extra services when the roads were closed for La tour de France.

Cheers

• Like 1

On 31/05/2021 at 18:16, Duncan. said:

Shirebrook Update #3 PAA BIS Sand hopper.

As supplied the Farish model of this wagon is a real disappointment.... it always surprises when I see others writing glowing comment s about a new model when it is full of glaring errors.. aren't they really saying ' Doesn't matter if you make a poor/inacccurate/unprototypical model I will buy it.' Isn't that giving a green light to manufacturers to produce poor models? I digress...

The photo below clearly demonstrates the original Farish model and the modified model using the TPM detailing kit.

IMG_2823.JPG.83302cd84269dc82c122b16e64b398ca.JPG

IMG_2824.JPG.f0d3520ef80442b718c860c5d2dc1816.JPG

IMG_2822.JPG.77a576209c644caf3a89cd1f23d3c796.JPG

It is a fairly easy conversion but it is getting difficult to find the PAA base wagon and the now discontinued TPM detail kit. I have  a few more to complete that will form part of a speedlink feeder service  from Worksop to Toton.

Cheers

Duncan

It looks like the difference between a model and toy Duncan.

Great work and looking forward to seeing it on a Speedlink service.

• Thanks 1

Hi Duncan,

That 20 is coming together very well, I love the mismatched doors and patches where the Thornaby decals have been removed. I look forward to seeing it finished.

For the chassis, if a dummy would suffice, it may be worth sending a message to Pixie on here. I've got an etch from his Greyhound Models range waiting to be made up for one of my 20s.

All the best

Jo

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

8 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Hi Duncan,

That 20 is coming together very well, I love the mismatched doors and patches where the Thornaby decals have been removed. I look forward to seeing it finished.

For the chassis, if a dummy would suffice, it may be worth sending a message to Pixie on here. I've got an etch from his Greyhound Models range waiting to be made up for one of my 20s.

All the best

Jo

Thanks Jo really useful, is there a website you can direct me to?

Cheers

Duncan

• 2 months later...

Greetings to you all. We hope you are all keeping well.

Regular readers of the Shirebrook Thread will know that we hold running days, well we used to until covid-19!  We are planning a running day on Saturday 25th September.  Please request a place if you want to attend  by answering this posting or via a PM. We are located in Keighley so you may want to spend the morning with us and then go on to visit the Worth Valley Railway.  Numbers will be limited places will be offered on a first come basis.  The layout will be available from 9.30 am until about 18.00. This will enable you to drop in if you don't want to be around other people for too long. We will provide snacks and drinks all day.

Please bring along any models you require test running or would just like to show others, kits would be great to see if you have built any during the lockdown periods.

Please let us know asap if you would like to come along and your approximate eta, for example Morning, Middle of the day or Afternoon we will confirm if there is space for you.

Hand sanitiser will be available  and mask wearing will be optional.  Entry to the day will be limited to those who are double vaccinated.

We look forward to seeing you and playing trains!

Regards

Janet and Duncan

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Padishar Creel said:

Hi Duncan,

I'll be there in spirit :yes:

es grüßt

pc 

Me too Duncan, it's a lovely idea and I can't wait for a few pictures, but I didn't feel especially safe flying last weekend (lot's of people without masks in the terminal and not keeping distance during the wait for security etc.) so I will be staying where I am for now, at least until the new baby is here. I hope you enjoy the day on the 25th.

All the best,

Dave

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Padishar Creel said:

Hi Duncan,

I'll be there in spirit :yes:

es grüßt

pc 

6 minutes ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Me too Duncan, it's a lovely idea and I can't wait for a few pictures, but I didn't feel especially safe flying last weekend (lot's of people without masks in the terminal and not keeping distance during the wait for security etc.) so I will be staying where I am for now, at least until the new baby is here. I hope you enjoy the day on the 25th.

All the best,

Dave

Thank you both for your support! I think I have one or perhaps two vintage german beer wagons, I'll run those round as a thank you to the German section of the Shirebrook Appreciation Society! Look out for the photos!

Best wishes for the safe arrival of your new baby Dave.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Duncan. said:

Thank you both for your support! I think I have one or perhaps two vintage german beer wagons, I'll run those round as a thank you to the German section of the Shirebrook Appreciation Society! Look out for the photos!

Put the waistcoat on display! All going well it will have its debut October 2022

es grüßt

pc  

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

All the best,

Dave

Sorry to deviate Duncan - but just to wish Dave and his good lady all the best for their forthcoming addition.  I assume he or she will be brought up in the best tradition and taught about railways from an early age! :) Congratulations to you both.

Rich

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

On 28/08/2021 at 19:56, Duncan. said:
On 28/08/2021 at 19:51, acg5324 said:

…I’m working that day…would have loved to have seen Shirebrook again.

That's a pity Andy. You could have had a play too!

@acg5324 perhaps if we ask nicely @Duncan. will do another session for NGS Yorkshire Area Group members?

Steven B.

• Like 1

IMG_2917.JPG.a9862de58b573b72733ceb8546feb141.JPGNew Class 'Mac' 20 Project

The class 20s originally destined for use in Scotland were built to accommodate tablet catching equipment beneth thre cab side windows. Deeper cabside windows were also incorporated. The Farish models are the standard loco without these features. During the lives of the 20s all the tablet catching equipment recesses were plated over but the deeper cabside windows remained. I have wanted to modify my class 20s where the prototype had the deeper windows. I have drawn up an etch to make this modification to the Farish model.

So with 20101 I have included the recesses and the deeper windows. 

IMG_2915.JPG.464531a41a27ea578a2edf3d10562d04.JPG

I have designed the etches so the cab side windows can be shown in the closed and any degree of open positions. I have also made some etches for finer replacement footsteps.

IMG_2918.JPG.0268d5a6b9b08d0ae80227a9e16260fe.JPG

I have made two versions of the window etches as shown below. All etches are in 0.2mm nickel silver for strength I will be selling these once I have devised instructions and fitting guidelines.

IMG_2919.JPG.de44ef6b7374fe8746a62271c069eaa0.JPG

IMG_2916.JPG.a60e15cb11139b7a188aadb0f65f2f7b.JPG

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10

On 01/09/2021 at 20:13, Duncan. said:

IMG_2917.JPG.a9862de58b573b72733ceb8546feb141.JPGNew Class 'Mac' 20 Project

The class 20s originally destined for use in Scotland were built to accommodate tablet catching equipment beneth thre cab side windows. Deeper cabside windows were also incorporated. The Farish models are the standard loco without these features. During the lives of the 20s all the tablet catching equipment recesses were plated over but the deeper cabside windows remained. I have wanted to modify my class 20s where the prototype had the deeper windows. I have drawn up an etch to make this modification to the Farish model.

So with 20101 I have included the recesses and the deeper windows. 

IMG_2915.JPG.464531a41a27ea578a2edf3d10562d04.JPG

I have designed the etches so the cab side windows can be shown in the closed and any degree of open positions. I have also made some etches for finer replacement footsteps.

IMG_2918.JPG.0268d5a6b9b08d0ae80227a9e16260fe.JPG

I have made two versions of the window etches as shown below. All etches are in 0.2mm nickel silver for strength I will be selling these once I have devised instructions and fitting guidelines.

IMG_2919.JPG.de44ef6b7374fe8746a62271c069eaa0.JPG

IMG_2916.JPG.a60e15cb11139b7a188aadb0f65f2f7b.JPG

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

Those etches look spot on, especially the part open. Some Wigan Springs Branch coal 20's will appear on Dallam at somepoint so I would definitely be interested in an etch.

Cheers

Simon

• Thanks 1