16 minutes ago, 87023Velocity said:

Those etches look spot on, especially the part open. Some Wigan Springs Branch coal 20's will appear on Dallam at somepoint so I would definitely be interested in an etch.

Thanks Simon. I'm really pleased with them. I will complete instructions for fitting and get the 'on the market'. I have also made etched wind screen wipers for 56s and 58s, much finer than the plastic ones as supplied with the models.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

On 01/09/2021 at 20:13, Duncan. said:

IMG_2917.JPG.a9862de58b573b72733ceb8546feb141.JPGNew Class 'Mac' 20 Project

The class 20s originally destined for use in Scotland were built to accommodate tablet catching equipment beneth thre cab side windows. Deeper cabside windows were also incorporated. The Farish models are the standard loco without these features. During the lives of the 20s all the tablet catching equipment recesses were plated over but the deeper cabside windows remained. I have wanted to modify my class 20s where the prototype had the deeper windows. I have drawn up an etch to make this modification to the Farish model.

So with 20101 I have included the recesses and the deeper windows. 

IMG_2915.JPG.464531a41a27ea578a2edf3d10562d04.JPG

I have designed the etches so the cab side windows can be shown in the closed and any degree of open positions. I have also made some etches for finer replacement footsteps.

IMG_2918.JPG.0268d5a6b9b08d0ae80227a9e16260fe.JPG

I have made two versions of the window etches as shown below. All etches are in 0.2mm nickel silver for strength I will be selling these once I have devised instructions and fitting guidelines.

IMG_2919.JPG.de44ef6b7374fe8746a62271c069eaa0.JPG

IMG_2916.JPG.a60e15cb11139b7a188aadb0f65f2f7b.JPG

Cheers

Duncan

I am in love with these fine window etches and especially the open window, in N gauge as well!

I'd probably go bonkers doing this to a N gauge model!

Jules

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Duncan,

The end result looks good.  I haven't looked any any images of 20101, but are the cab side windows perhaps a bit too deep now? They may have been like that for real of course, but they looks slightly more dominant than they should? I could just be nit-picking of course, and it does not diminish your work which is wonderful as ever.

Rich

8 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Duncan,

The end result looks good.  I haven't looked any any images of 20101, but are the cab side windows perhaps a bit too deep now? They may have been like that for real of course, but they looks slightly more dominant than they should? I could just be nit-picking of course, and it does not diminish your work which is wonderful as ever.

Rich

It looks pretty close to me, it would be nit picking given it's 2mm scale.

On 27/12/2017 at 20:23, CloggyDog said:

20 028 at Ayr shed, late-1970s

14806621144_3de5399b6c_b.jpg20028 Ayr by Alan Monk, on Flickr

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Duncan. said:

IMG_2931.JPG.c73a7fbf4045e10cb9d718f01addb2d6.JPG20101 Ready for service.

IMG_2930.JPG.6ff1c4fc3e8b287dcf297c4785a0245e.JPG

It is running day on Saturday so I hope to get some photos  of the loco on the layout.

Hello Duncan,

Hope that all goes well on Saturday and you all have fun, would have loved to have attended but it's my Fri,Sat,Sun night shift this week so was always a non starter for me.

The Scottish class 20 looks superb and you've got me rechecking my own West Highland candidates looking for a possible conversion option, although I haven't done very much modelling of any description in the last year ....just lots of buying, hopefully that will change shortly as I finally start stage 1 of my layout which may or may not meet with your approval (recent comments duly noted from another thread :good_mini:.)

Regards,

Ian.

(It seems that @woodenhead has already provided me with a candidate as 20 028 appeared on the line in 1984.)

Edited by 03060
Correction.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, 03060 said:

Hello Duncan,

Hope that all goes well on Saturday and you all have fun, would have loved to have attended but it's my Fri,Sat,Sun night shift this week so was always a non starter for me.

The Scottish class 20 looks superb and you've got me rechecking my own West Highland candidates looking for a possible conversion option, although I haven't done very much modelling of any description in the last year ....just lots of buying, hopefully that will change shortly as I finally start stage 1 of my layout which may or may not meet with your approval (recent comments duly noted from another thread :good_mini:.)

Regards,

Ian.

(It seems that @woodenhead has already provided me with a candidate as 20 028 appeared on the line in 1984.)

Hi Ian,

I have 3 more class 20's to convert 20120, 20032 and  would you believe 20028. I modelled 20028 in its Bedale incarnation (please see pages 31 and 32 of this thread above). At the time I was very aware that it should have deeper cab side windows. Now I have the etches I will convert 20028 next.  I am going to make the etches available to purchase if you want to do yours.

As to your comment about 'my approval' perhaps my remarks were clumsy but I do believe that the modeller should endeavor to make the model his or her own.  I have noticed over the years that with increasingly more accurate models available from the manufacturers there is perhaps a reduced appetite to make something ourselves. Perhaps, also. there is a larger proportion of N gauge layouts that have no scratch built items compared to larger scales. I would encourage N gauge modellers to be more adventurous. Andy Gill of Kensington Olympia for example has made so may fantastic buildings he should be an inspiration to us all.

Cheers Duncan

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Duncan. said:

As to your comment about 'my approval' perhaps my remarks were clumsy but I do believe that the modeller should endeavor to make the model his or her own.  I have noticed over the years that with increasingly more accurate models available from the manufacturers there is perhaps a reduced appetite to make something ourselves. Perhaps, also. there is a larger proportion of N gauge layouts that have no scratch built items compared to larger scales. I would encourage N gauge modellers to be more adventurous. Andy Gill of Kensington Olympia for example has made so may fantastic buildings he should be an inspiration to us all.

Cheers Duncan

Morning Duncan,

I didn't find your comment 'clumsy' in the least and agree wholeheartedly with your thinking. My 'concern' is more to do with my proposed layout design which, if it works, you may find a little contrived and the trackplan unrealistic but I hope that it will capture 'the feel' of the route (WHL.) I hope to start my own thread regarding this but need to modify the baseboards one final time before the fun begins and I'm still battling with my head as to which type of passing place should be best represented.

Please count me in for at least one set of etches when available and I look forward to seeing more great inspiring pictures from Shirebrook.

Regards,

Ian.

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Duncan. said:

As to your comment about 'my approval' perhaps my remarks were clumsy but I do believe that the modeller should endeavor to make the model his or her own.  I have noticed over the years that with increasingly more accurate models available from the manufacturers there is perhaps a reduced appetite to make something ourselves. Perhaps, also. there is a larger proportion of N gauge layouts that have no scratch built items compared to larger scales.

I've highlighted what I think is the key point of Duncan's statement.

Personally I've move away from building kits to buying more ready-to-run - primarily because there's only so many Salmons I can run and there's no way I could match the quality of a Farish Mk1. Similarly, why scratch around trying to find ISM BAA when there's a perfectly good Farish model available. I've never see a ex-Scottish tablet fitted class 20 in the area I'm modelling so why add it to my to do list? (regardless of how much I admire Duncan's work!).

Many RTR are perfect for my needs. RTR models match what ran in the area and period I'm interested in - the number and livery in many cases match what I've found photographic evidence of so why re-number when there's no need? Aside from correcting livery errors, why make work for yourself?

What is needed (IMO), and what I try to do is to make the model your own. In my case that's working towards correct formations and weathering based on the prototype - I'm almost there on the former with lots to do on the latter!

Steven B.

• Like 3

I’ve been following this conversation with some interest and although I’d definitely not put myself in the bracket of ‘Expert’, I have made most of the buildings on my layout from scratch and looking back on it I’m glad that I gave it a go.

Everything I’ve got is completely individual to my personal railway and I’d never even attempted anything like that before let alone in this scale but it’s surprising what you can do once you start thinking about ways to work around the problems. 
Thanks also go to people like @duncan who give you the encouragement and advice to try a bit harder of course, as things like that help a lot…

Just give it a go I reckon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A little Saturday night teaser...

Old meets new, well 1920 meets 1985

IMG_2960.png.f5f878fa1cd254b85232dccf0f332124.png

I purchased a MR 4F to pull my rake of Mathieson 7 plank wagons. I am very fond of these wagons so much better than the Farish or Peco offerings. They have  a correct wb of 9ft and  very thin sides and ends.

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi,

My favourite photograph from yesterday. I have to post by itself due to the file size.

44010 Tryfan passes Shirebrook with a rake of Class B tanks on a cold afternoon in late November under a tumbling sky threatening heavy weather..

IMG_2979.png.bd4168e46108d8aa1be98a01283598be.png

Yeah I know it is slightly out of period with the 56's in the back ground, but It sort of feels OK for the location.

Cheers

Duncan

PS More photos to follow

Edited by Duncan.
typo
  • Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Duncan. said:

Hi,

My favourite photograph from yesterday. I have to post by itself due to the file size.

44010 Tryfan passes Shirebrook with a rake of Class B tanks on a cold afternoon in late November under a tumbling sky threatening heavy weather..

Yeah I know it is slightly out of period with the 56's in the back ground, but It sort of feels OK for the location.

Cheers

Duncan

PS More photos to follow

Most of these photos would be good candidates for the 'when the model looks like the real thing' thread, Duncan, some super shots, thanks for posting.

Regards,

Ian.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Hi,

Cheers

Duncan

PS More photos to follow

Outstanding photo Duncan, I know the locos at the front are the stars of the show, but I am still blown away by how well the shed and water tower behind just looks 'right'. It's perfect. The trains are still the main focus, but there isn't anything about it that looks out of place and it adds such interest without distracting the eye too much from the trains. It all adds a lot of depth without actually being too deep and needing an overly big baseboard. Very impressive. It's what I always aim for and usually fall far far short of what you have done there. 

I hope you enjoyed getting the layout out and seeing some trains run again. The HST-P is a nice mix, I am so used to seeing freight in the photos of the layout (which is great and all very interesting as well), but just nice to see something different in the mix. 

All the best,

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I've said it before but it bears repeating, Duncan.  I would be impressed with a 7mm scale layout that looked this good, for everything to be less than a third of the size is just unbelievable.

Hope to get to see it in the flesh one day.

• Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I've said it before but it bears repeating, Duncan.  I would be impressed with a 7mm scale layout that looked this good, for everything to be less than a third of the size is just unbelievable.

Hope to get to see it in the flesh one day.

I think the closest the layout will be to you is Fareham. With all the continuing postponements I'm not sure when we are due to attend... otherwise you'll have to come to Pickering next August or Wigan next October...

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments about Olympia…..it’s Andy Gibbs by the way. :)

Superbly atmospheric photos. I remember a few visits to Shirebrook back in the day….grim was the word….but oh so many locos especially at the weekend.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

Thanks for the comments about Olympia…..it’s Andy Gibbs by the way. :)

Superbly atmospheric photos. I remember a few visits to Shirebrook back in the day….grim was the word….but oh so many locos especially at the weekend.

My apologies... it's an age thing. I think I should have mentioned Graham Hedges too, as you know he makes great N scale buildings too.

I am correct in thinking you come from Brighton... I started off in Hastings.

Cheers

Duncan

Edited by Duncan.
typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes Grahame’s London Bridge buildings have been an inspiration. So much so that I’ve adopted his card shell method of construction.

Yes I’m from Brighton only moved from the city just over four years ago, my wife is the Yorkie.

Hi,

It struck me as we were putting the layout away just how much wiring there is on Shirebrook. Here is the simplest layout board. It is the centre section of the hidden sidings-just 16 straight tracks... and a few isolating and auto stop sections...

IMG_2981.JPG.52c7a1388652b8b9c372585c9d72369f.JPG

and the wiring underneath...

IMG_2982.JPG.415d14a1d2368235545b6b80d9f48813.JPG

umn...

Cheers

Duncan 

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1