On 23/09/2021 at 16:18, Duncan. said:

IMG_2931.JPG.c73a7fbf4045e10cb9d718f01addb2d6.JPG20101 Ready for service.

Here a couple of photos of 20101, now ready for service on Shirebrook. Please note I have modified the standard Farish offering to a Scottish Region 20, with the deeper cabside windows, recess below the windows that used to house the token catching equipment, replacement roof radiator fan and grille (from Mercig Studios), etched steps below cab end and a general weathering. 

IMG_2930.JPG.6ff1c4fc3e8b287dcf297c4785a0245e.JPG

It is running day on Saturday so I hope to get some photos  of the loco on the layout.

1739337301_IMG_2929(2).JPG.af9448f089f5066e76fbfbb67b5fbf6d.JPG

Cheers

Duncan

Great work on the 20, I'm getting back in to the N world now and wondered if anyone does etched replacement fans and other such parts as I assume Mercig don't sell them individually (not that I have found). I want to start upgrading my growing collection once my garden building is up for my new layout.

6 minutes ago, JBM37404 said:

Great work on the 20, I'm getting back in to the N world now and wondered if anyone does etched replacement fans and other such parts as I assume Mercig don't sell them individually (not that I have found). I want to start upgrading my growing collection once my garden building is up for my new layout.

Hi,

Mercig are gradually introducing roof grilles and fans for many loco types. I can spply you etched footsteps and the deeper cab window frames found on scottish class 20s. I have designed the window frames so they can be finished open or closed.

Cheers

Duncan

1257004440_class20.jpg.d4af0240a20b11371e6f5b472dc123a0.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

26 minutes ago, Duncan. said:

Hi,

Mercig are gradually introducing roof grilles and fans for many loco types. I can spply you etched footsteps and the deeper cab window frames found on scottish class 20s. I have designed the window frames so they can be finished open or closed.

Cheers

Duncan

1257004440_class20.jpg.d4af0240a20b11371e6f5b472dc123a0.jpg

Thanks for quick reply much appreciated haven't got any 20s just yet but thinking of having a go at the weedkiller Hunslet barclay ones in the future when my workbench empties a bit.

J

Edited by JBM37404
Spelling

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JBM37404 said:

Shawplan had a Class 37 detailing set which included fans if it is still available.

Next Shirebrook Running Day.

Hi,

I am planning the next Shirebrook running day. I am based in Keighley, West Yorkshire. I have two possible dates, Saturday 20th November and Saturday 27th November. Numbers are limited please let me know by PM dates that you are able to attend. Only one of these dates will be the next running day. Your early replies will help me to plan which of these dates to use. As is usual in these times fully covid 19 vaccinated attendees only (unless you are exempt). We will provide snacks and drinks throughout the day. Please give an estimated time of arrival. Why not combine your visit with a trip on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway? (only available 20.11.21)

Below: Low evening sunlight streams across the depot apron

image6.jpeg.39eea24de18fb2c3fb4bdc2db05be2c7.jpeg

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Shirebrook Open and Running Day.

Hi,

Work has continued on the layout throughout the winter. Not very photogenic work...replacement and addition of power supply wires replacing damaged electrical connections and point motors.

I have modified 4 class 56's as shown earlier in this thread, changing cantrail grilles back to original types and fitting of Mercig studio roof grilles and fans. I have also continued the process of weathering stock used on the layout. 

The running day is scheduled for Saturday 19th February, the layout will be available from 10 am until 4 pm. You are welcome to bring along a model of your own such as a loco that needs running in or needs a load test! As ever a light lunch and drinks throughout the day will be available.

Please PM me if you would like to attend, places are limited. 

You will be able to operate the layout, talk models and modelling and generally have railway fun. We look forward to seeing some of you.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 5

Hi,

I’m late to this layout, and I came to it by accident. I was looking for track plans of the old Mansfield Railway Station, goods yard and TMS from the 1950’s and 60’s. I did a search for Shirebrook, which took me here. 

As a 12 yr old, our neighbour was a driver based at Shirebrook. Gordon, who became an ‘uncle’, got chatting to my dad. He mentioned I had an 00 (eventually an N Gauge) layout. Gordon invited us both several times to the depot at weekends, whereby loco’s needed shunting and getting ready for the following weeks work. 56005 was one of the locos. I got chance to stand with Gordon whilst he moved stuff round, including 56005. I spotted it earlier upthread. Fabulous memories. 

Id always had a fascination with the Type 2 Class 20 locos, and again got to see them up close.

This layout, especially the Class 56,  the maintenance shed and offices brought back lovely memories. 

Lovely layout. The previous positive comments have said it all. 

Once I get started again, and when I get brave enough to do weathering, I’ll remember this layout and read up again on the techniques used. 

With kind regards,

Andy

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, Andy_C said:

Hi,

I’m late to this layout, and I came to it by accident. I was looking for track plans of the old Mansfield Railway Station, goods yard and TMS from the 1950’s and 60’s. I did a search for Shirebrook, which took me here. 

As a 12 yr old, our neighbour was a driver based at Shirebrook. Gordon, who became an ‘uncle’, got chatting to my dad. He mentioned I had an 00 (eventually an N Gauge) layout. Gordon invited us both several times to the depot at weekends, whereby loco’s needed shunting and getting ready for the following weeks work. 56005 was one of the locos. I got chance to stand with Gordon whilst he moved stuff round, including 56005. I spotted it earlier upthread. Fabulous memories. 

Id always had a fascination with the Type 2 Class 20 locos, and again got to see them up close.

This layout, especially the Class 56,  the maintenance shed and offices brought back lovely memories. 

Lovely layout. The previous positive comments have said it all. 

Once I get started again, and when I get brave enough to do weathering, I’ll remember this layout and read up again on the techniques used. 

With kind regards,

Andy

Many thanks for your comments Andy. When the layout was at the Doncaster Show a lady visitor repeated her childhood memories to us. Sitting beside the line near Station Road overbridge  she would, with her friends, try to guess the number of wagons on the next train, pointing to the spot on the layout.

These are the reasons why we made the model, to rekindle memories of the area now gone forever, it is most satisfying when we hear those memories.

Many Thanks

Duncan

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

No not at Doncaster. Please look out for my 'Running Days' when the layout is set up at home, with the added advantage you can operate and run your own stock!

The layout is booked for Scarborough (Pickering) in August and Wigan in October.

Cheers

Duncan 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Andy,

No not at Doncaster. Please look out for my 'Running Days' when the layout is set up at home, with the added advantage you can operate and run your own stock!

The layout is booked for Scarborough (Pickering) in August and Wigan in October.

Cheers

Duncan 

It's a long way out, but current rules mean I can get over to the UK to see you at Wigan without hassle.

Yeah.......

Edited by Padishar Creel
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

Loco and Rolling Stock Update

Hi, 

I have been repainting and weathering locos and rolling stock recently.

IMG_3057.JPG.20bd7aed8373f3f0e99557a5f40a0c30.JPG

The only loco I own in this view is the class 20. However, all the locos can be seen on Shirebrook as they belong to other members of the operating team.

The RTC 31 and coaches have also received a weathering again owned by one of the operating team members.

IMG_3042.JPG.8b44275b3f9725cfdea1bf75574dc2d9.JPG

I have used Taylor detail kits for the BIS sand  hoppers.

IMG_3058.JPG.da6838146db368f09841fa318d715e23.JPG

The four class 56s I have worked on have all had their cantrail grilles replaced at number 2 end to return the locos to original condition. The roof radiator grilles and fans are replaced with those available from Mercig Studios. Some of the locos have been renumbered.

IMG_3054.JPG.7e78877365be5e1560b4651d1fefef63.JPG

PS. I haven't had any takers from RMweb for the next running day (see above), so if you want to come please PM me asap to reserve your place.

I'll post some more photos shortly

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Hi Duncan,

Sorry not been around on rmWeb for a bit, other things have been getting in the way.  Love the work that you have done on the locomotives. I really need to start weathering some of my stuff, but there is a fine line between total novice and total fear!  I have got an old Class 33 body that I acquired from a swap meet ages ago for a couple of quid which has been paint stripped, need to have a go at masking and painting it, then weathering ... knowing if I c*ck it up it doesn't matter!

I am tied up on the 19th unfortunately, but fingers crossed I can get over to West Yorkshire for the next one. Looking forward to seeing the layout in the not too distant future

Rich

Class 37 and 56 from the Shirebrook paint shop

Once again, sadly not my locos but they will be available to run on Shirebrook. They belong to one of the Shirebrook team.

Both models are standard models as available from the manufacturers. I have renumbered both locos and fitted detail parts to one end of each loco, (air and vac pipes and dummy couplings). Certain detail painting was undertaken to match prototype photographs I found on the interweb! Both locos have been weathered using airbrush techniques and varnished. I am looking forward to seeing them hard at work on Shire brook.

37167 from 37239

IMG_3065.JPG.345389cefd83f07cec9636b68628fadc.JPG

IMG_3066.JPG.bfe4ce65546ea094e266a8347604f68e.JPG

IMG_3067.JPG.3685188266042333c499f8f274e0af6b.JPGIMG_3068.JPG.613d30802b92598ac53edc64a11e11e5.JPG

IMG_3069.JPG.0343d3f2fc42bb25a13b52a1b53df11f.JPG

63870573_IMG_3070(2).JPG.09dc99638309410d61dcb30f7a10138e.JPG 

I am really happy how the models have turned out and I hope my friend will be equally as happy.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

Revolution IWA Holdall Vans.

The photos below show a weathered and straight out of the box examples. Looking through prototype photos it looks like the vans became dirtier year on year until the data panels became completely unreadable when those areas were cleaned back to 'as new'. I have based my weathered examples on vans photographed 1-2 years after they were introduced. 

IMG_3072.JPG.697d20cfc245414432f246e99ecbf3ae.JPG

IMG_3071.JPG.7184d303268e996fd89f9520db6932f8.JPG

IMG_3074.JPG.835673854656015b55e8d6b3d21e2acf.JPG

I think my photographs make the weathered example look cleaner than it looks in the flesh. That said I was aiming for a light weathering as the vans were introduced towards the end of the core period of our Shirebrook layout and therefore would be relatively clean.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 14

7 hours ago, Duncan. said:

The photos below show a weathered and straight out of the box examples. Looking through prototype photos it looks like the vans became dirtier year on year until the data panels became completely unreadable when those areas were cleaned back to 'as new'. I have based my weathered examples on vans photographed 1-2 years after they were introduced. 

I think my photographs make the weathered example look cleaner than it looks in the flesh. That said I was aiming for a light weathering as the vans were introduced towards the end of the core period of our Shirebrook layout and therefore would be relatively clean.

Cheers

Duncan

Blimey they are rather nice. It was mentioned in my Lapford thread that these did make it up my branch in the last couple of years of freight running up there.
I wonder if Mrs C would like a couple for Valentine’s Day..?

• Funny 6

On 13/02/2022 at 15:51, Duncan. said:

Cheers

Duncan

Looking good Duncan, weathered enough to dull down the brand new look. I like how a lot of the detailing on the wagon is still visible, but a bit less 'in your face' as the brand new look, which I guess would of only been prototypical for the first few hours of the wagons life. 

Looking forward to seeing the 37 and 58 out on the layout. Will they be part of your upcoming running day?

All the best,

Dave 

41 minutes ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Looking good Duncan, weathered enough to dull down the brand new look. I like how a lot of the detailing on the wagon is still visible, but a bit less 'in your face' as the brand new look, which I guess would of only been prototypical for the first few hours of the wagons life. 

Looking forward to seeing the 37 and 58 out on the layout. Will they be part of your upcoming running day?

All the best,

Dave 

For sure Dave they will get a good 'running in'. I may even post a photo or two here!

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 2