Jump to content

Carl. H.

Shirebrook - N Gauge 1980's era layout.

Recommended Posts

Those Farish 08's do look superb once put in their setting as you say, the weathering is subtle but spot on.

 

The 2nd and 3rd pictures are particularly effective.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

 

Hi Ian,

 

Great spot. I know that Duncan making similar observations and helpful comments has improved both my models and my modelling skills no end. Nice to see someone returning the favour. 

 

All the best,

Dave

 

Thanks Dave,

 

Having been brought up with the original GF class 37 I have been more than satisfied with the detail on the newer Bachmann GF models but now having seen Duncan's model of 37 239 and compared it with one of my own unmodified models and the prototype photo I now realise that the bar has definately been raised.

 

Whilst I can probably (maybe) live with the BGF roof fan grill I'm definately going to have to do something about the undersized engine compartment side grills which I hadn't noticed before ....unfortunately I've currently got at least 15 of the blessed things ....and if I do one then I'll have to do them all ....oh, well, at least the chap at Shawplan will be happy !

 

Regards,

Ian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seacow Invasion is back on!

I have received some replacement etches. I will be working on these over the coming weekend. 

Cheers

Duncan

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Invasion of the Seacows Act 2

Hi  Everyone,

The first photograph shows the mangled mass of the original incorrectly fitted etches, oh that really hurts!

IMG_1720.JPG

 

This photo shows the stanchion pre-folded while still attached to the fret, if you look very closely you may just see the super glue fillet to strengthen.

IMG_1721.JPG

 

Now removed from the etch the folding of the stanchions is completed.

IMG_1722.JPG

 

I use a brass block to aid the tricky folding of the hopper operating gear brackets.

IMG_1723.JPG

 

And finally the etches are fitted to the wagon.

IMG_1724.JPG

 

The truth is I have not fully followed the instructions. I must be doing something incorrectly but I find the etches don't realy fit 'right', so I am not interlacing the etches as advised.

Cheers

Duncan

Edited by Duncan.
Additional text
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/01/2020 at 18:16, 03060 said:

Hello Duncan,

 

I've just flicked back to p.16 on the thread to compare the new grill with the 'old' new grill and whilst my own opinion is non-consequential I did notice that there is a plate across the top of the bogie steps in the centre (under the door) half covering a cylinder (which is on the model) which stands out as missing when comparing the model with the prototype photo of 239. Sorry to mention this but once noticed it makes the model's steps look to have a large 'gap' in them ...what do you think ?

 

Meant with the best of intentions,

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Ian,

I've been studying photos of class 37s. It is present on the bogie moulding but much less noticeable than the prototype. The 'thicker' top step of the bogies steps has not been replicated by Bachmann/Farish, perhaps it is something that could be changed.

However, it is not top of my priorities as I have many kits to build (30 plus Taylor HEAs), and improvements to my fleet of PFAs to complete as well as general maintenance of Shirebrook. Thanks for the heads up though as it is something I missed.

Cheers

Duncan

  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Invasion of the Seacows Act 2

Hi  Everyone,

The first photograph shows the mangled mass of the original incorrectly fitted etches, oh that really hurts!

IMG_1720.JPG

 

This photo shows the stanchion pre-folded while still attached to the fret, if you look very closely you may just see the super glue fillet to strengthen.

IMG_1721.JPG

 

Now removed from the etch the folding of the stanchions is completed.

IMG_1722.JPG

 

I use a brass block to aid the tricky folding of the hopper operating gear brackets.

IMG_1723.JPG

 

And finally the etches are fitted to the wagon.

IMG_1724.JPG

 

The truth is I have not fully followed the instructions. I must be doing something incorrectly but I find the etches don't realy fit 'right', so I am not interlacing the etches as advised.

Cheers

Duncan

 

Hi Duncan,

 

I admire your efforts here! I must say, whilst following with interest, they have made me feel relieved that I bought my rake of Farish models when they first came out before the recent inflation in wagon prices. I can understand why people are using kits when you regularly see wagons for sale secondhand at a higher price than the model shop price labels still attached! 

 

I am am sure you will get there and once weathered up and loaded they will look superb.

 

Tim.

  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Timmy84 said:

 

Hi Duncan,

 

I admire your efforts here! I must say, whilst following with interest, they have made me feel relieved that I bought my rake of Farish models when they first came out before the recent inflation in wagon prices. I can understand why people are using kits when you regularly see wagons for sale secondhand at a higher price than the model shop price labels still attached! 

 

I am am sure you will get there and once weathered up and loaded they will look superb.

 

Tim.

Thanks Tim,

my next project will involve me giving birth to an elephant, cause I need something easier to do!

Cheers

Duncan

  • Funny 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Duncan. said:

Sunday Treat

Well I know I need one. Here's a couple of shots of locos receiving service at Shirebrook Depot. 56001 and 56014 and a couple of the depot's allocation of shunters.

Cheers

Duncan

 

 

The Sunday treat at Shirebrook was the line of 56s up the branch, or at least it was when I were a nipper.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The shed shots look very realistic Duncan - they look very ‘white’ though, when I worked in a shed (doing admin for Northern, years ago) the lighting was dimmer and more yellow - that was Newton Heath, I never saw inside Shirebrook... but that’s nit-picking an excellent scene!  The clutter looks right and the engines ‘loom’ like trains do in depots with the activity going on around them.

 

You’re doing a great job on the seacows - they’re a pretty painful build, I could never get the middle section right where the instructions just say ‘bend it round’ with no useful picture... but the good thing is you’ve got the hand wheel to go over it and then the mesh cage over the top, so you’ll never notice!!

 

Cheers 

Simon

  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/02/2020 at 22:52, MrSimon said:

The shed shots look very realistic Duncan - they look very ‘white’ though, when I worked in a shed (doing admin for Northern, years ago) the lighting was dimmer and more yellow - that was Newton Heath, I never saw inside Shirebrook... but that’s nit-picking an excellent scene!  The clutter looks right and the engines ‘loom’ like trains do in depots with the activity going on around them.

 

You’re doing a great job on the seacows - they’re a pretty painful build, I could never get the middle section right where the instructions just say ‘bend it round’ with no useful picture... but the good thing is you’ve got the hand wheel to go over it and then the mesh cage over the top, so you’ll never notice!!

 

Cheers 

Simon

Yes that'll be the LEDS... here's a couple more photos of the same... they should have been uploaded with those above. Shirebrook was quite light as I remember it being lit with tubes.

IMG_1744 (2).JPG

IMG_1742.JPG

  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Evening All,

The picture below shows some BAAs I was commissioned to weather. They will  be fitted with 'eye to the sky' steel coil loads. The blue shunter is next on the modification list it will lose one of the solebar 'boxes' same as 08418 and the engine room compartment doors extended, it will be renumbered to 08255 and be a vacuum brake only loco.

The seacows are progressing, currently drying under a dust cover (so no photo). I have sprayed the sides with a gloss varnish in preparation for application of transfers. The hopper discharge gear is complete, but the safety cages are not yet fitted. The wagons will be weathered and sprayed with a matt satin varnish to finish.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1745.JPG

IMG_1746.JPG

  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Echo @EWS FAN comment.  Nicely done with the bent supports.  Just a query, and I dont know the answer to this, but was there no rust on the floors of these wagons?  I am thinking that water could have possibly accumulated there?

 

Rich

  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The floors on these (and BAAs) were mesh, I assume to dissipate heat, but they would also let rain through, of course.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

The floors on these (and BAAs) were mesh, I assume to dissipate heat, but they would also let rain through, of course.

 

Thanks Bernard, course they were, I'd forgotten that.

 

Rich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Echo @EWS FAN comment.  Nicely done with the bent supports.  Just a query, and I dont know the answer to this, but was there no rust on the floors of these wagons?  I am thinking that water could have possibly accumulated there?

 

Rich

Morning Rich,

The decks are quite toned down. I have attached a 'before' photo of the BAAs when they were black for your reference. Also a couple of views of the finished wagons (still to be loaded though). So the answer is yes and no, the wagons are weathered and rusted but only lightly.

Cheers

Duncan

2122497295_IMG_1729(2).JPG.cd4e4bd4e3bb581ce4630d6f28245932.jpg

IMG_1749.JPG

IMG_1750.JPG

  • Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah yes! Can see the difference immediately. Just shows how good your weathering is Duncan!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Ah yes! Can see the difference immediately. Just shows how good your weathering is Duncan!

Hi Rich,

There have been 4 'colours' sprayed directly to the decks.. plus overspay (deliberate) from other areas, but only in very small amounts to achieve the finished effect.  It is very labour intensive. It is easy in the smaller scales specially N to just blast a single colour over the model but if you look closely at the prototype you can see the different shades I try to replicate this. When I post some photos of a rake of covhops I'm doing it may be more noticeable!

Cheers

Duncan

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Invasion of the Seacows Act 2 Scene 1 and BAAs and Covhops update.

Well the seacows have returned to my general work station and the invasion is almost complete. The hopper operating wheels are fitted-next step transfers.

The Baa's are loaded and as I indicated above I have also been weathering a rake of CHVs and a single CHP covhops. The weathering on these is quite tricky, they are not finished yet- the trick with all the different dirt/rust colours is not to end up with a muddy finish, I hope you like the effects. These are sand carriers and I need to add sand coloured streaks down from the fillers.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1755.JPG

IMG_1756.JPG

IMG_1757.JPG

IMG_1758.JPG

  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your weathering looks spot on. Im looking forward to seeing the Seacows when they are finished.

  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Invasion of the Seacows Act 2 Scene 2

Evening Everybody,

Well 160 separate transfers later and the fishy creatures need only to grow their safety cages and buffing gear and a little camouflage/ weathering and they will be ready to invade Shirebrook. 

Preparation of these kits has been difficult and time consuming, I would have to advise that simpler kits be tackled and mastered before attempting these.

The photos below show the wagons and the tools used for the application of the transfers.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1760 (2).JPG

IMG_1760.JPG

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic !!! You have certainly got more patience than i have to be able to put all of those transfers on. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, EWS FAN said:

Fantastic !!! You have certainly got more patience than i have to be able to put all of those transfers on. 

Once started there really is no choice, it has taken around 8 hours and yes it was becoming tedious, but that does tend to give a great sense of satisfaction when complete. I hope to further the painting this weekend as the forecast storm will prevent any outside activities!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Duncan. said:

Once started there really is no choice, it has taken around 8 hours and yes it was becoming tedious, but that does tend to give a great sense of satisfaction when complete. I hope to further the painting this weekend as the forecast storm will prevent any outside activities!

Due to the forecast storm I'm hoping to get somemore scenery work done on my own N Gauge layout.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.