• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Rich,

I'm hoping you will be able to attend the next Shirebrook running day... I am not able to confirm a date just yet but will PM you as soon as I can. I'm glad you joined the NGS I have been a member for about 30 years, I have been the Trade Liaison Officer and Journal Manager/Editor and arranged 30th and 35th anniversary exhibitions... but now I leave that sort of thing to younger blood!

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

Yes - you and me both! Sorry I have not been able to make the previous ones.  To be honest, I joined because of wanting a couple of the forthcoming Hunslet shunters (fingers crossed they can be adapted to 2FS!) but have been very impressed with the handbook and first edition of the magazine.

Rapidly trying to find a bit of time (and courage) to start cutting into the body shell of my Dapol 56 for the grill conversion!

Rich

1 hour ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Duncan,

Yes - you and me both! Sorry I have not been able to make the previous ones.  To be honest, I joined because of wanting a couple of the forthcoming Hunslet shunters (fingers crossed they can be adapted to 2FS!) but have been very impressed with the handbook and first edition of the magazine.

Rapidly trying to find a bit of time (and courage) to start cutting into the body shell of my Dapol 56 for the grill conversion!

Rich

Can I remind you of my 'illustrated' guide when I did the same... it starts on page 6 of this Shirebrook thread. You can always ask if you want clarification of a process. Perhaps I should turn it into an article for the NGS Journal!

Cheers

Duncan

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Can I remind you of my 'illustrated' guide when I did the same... it starts on page 6 of this Shirebrook thread. You can always ask if you want clarification of a process. Perhaps I should turn it into an article for the NGS Journal!

Cheers

Duncan

Thanks Duncan, you certainly can remind me of your illustrated guide, if for no other reason than I’d totally forgotten about it!! That’s my late evening iPad reading sorted for tonight.

Thanks.

Rich

• Like 1

On 18/02/2020 at 22:47, Duncan. said:

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for being candid, I really do appreciate your thoughts-this is what's best about online forums. I'll try to address all your points, the covhops- for the sand stains I used tiny amounts of Humbrol numbers 74 a yellow, number 29 a brown but mostly 121 a beige sandy colour. Once applied I spread the colour(s) with thinners on a brush taking the colour down the sides. It is so thin it looks white on drying, I was after a more yellow  (sand) tone I noticed that whatever colour I started with, the result was much the same I think that as the paint is so thinned it will just make the 'white' look denser but not in colour. The answer may be to spray on a yellow (sand) to tone down the white. However, after saying all that I am very pleased with them and I think that the wagons 'in the flesh' look less white than the photos suggest.

You comment about too many similar browns I touched on in an earlier post, I think you mean that you need to avoid the weathering to look 'muddy'- I think I have avoided that pitfall.

I understand exactly what you saying about the 08 shunter. I think the orange  looking 'bright' is combination of a couple of factors. Firstly I guess the photo when you view it is larger than 'life' the orange boxes represent the marker lamp boxes and may be modelled slightly overscale  by the manufacturer and I always have a grey filter fixed to my DSLR camera. This increases the colour saturation on the image making all colours look stronger and helps to avoid that bleached out effect most noticeable with flash photography but present also with long exposures, some of the photos above were 30 second exposures with the smallest aperture (F32) to give the greatest depth of field. I will be interested if you think the same when you come along to an exhibition.

One thing you did miss- can I ask you to look very closely at the roof of the 08 at the front, the exhaust port side was very lightly sprayed with a bit of soot colour while the cover plate on the right of the exhaust was lightly sprayed with dark rust, it is just about noticeable in the photo of the right hand side of the loco.

How's it going with Maid's Morton Dave?

Regards

Duncan

IMG_1772 (2).JPG

Hi Simon,

It is very true about the size of the loco in reality vs the photo. your models look so good I forget they are the same size as my locos sometimes :). I am looking forward to seeing them in reality next year. The soot on the roof looks very good. 

Maid's Morton is coming along a lot more slowly than you are managing at the moment. But I did manage to sneak a bit of modelling time to get a 37 finished this evening.  

All the best,

Dave 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Hi Simon,

It is very true about the size of the loco in reality vs the photo. your models look so good I forget they are the same size as my locos sometimes :). I am looking forward to seeing them in reality next year. The soot on the roof looks very good. 

Maid's Morton is coming along a lot more slowly than you are managing at the moment. But I did manage to sneak a bit of modelling time to get a 37 finished this evening.  

All the best,

Dave 

Dave thanks very much for you comments but you'll have to stop calling me 'Simon':preved:

Cheers

Duncan

Edited by Duncan.
  • Funny 2

On 20/02/2020 at 22:09, Duncan. said:

Dave thanks very much for you comments but you'll have to stop calling me 'Simon':preved:

Cheers

Duncan

I am very sorry Duncan, I don't do it on purpose. Finding time for modelling and keeping up with rmweb is hard going at the moment with work, the house renovation and the family needing attention 24/7. When I manage to sneak a bit of modelling time I try to make the most of it and I often flick quickly though my three favorite n gauge blogs when time is very short, Dallam (Simon), Gresby or Mr Simon's workbench (another Simon) and then Shirebrook (I manage to get confused by this point and say Simon even though I mean Duncan:blush_mini:). 

Apologies again and all the very best,

Dave

• Funny 3

Invasion Of The Seacows The Final Act 

Defeat of Shirebrook complete, all roads full of 'cows!

Well it has been a long and at times difficult journey. Please note in the photos below the change of colour between a freshly repainted example and a well weathered cow. Do any of you have any views on the load.... these have just been poured in loose for the photographs what about the size, texture etc?

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1783.JPG

IMG_1784.JPG

IMG_1785.JPG

IMG_1788.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Seacows look great Duncan, especially the texture on the chutes.

As for the load, perhaps a bit large grained and lacking uniformity of colour? What ballast did you use on the layout, I'd be inclined to use the same so you have continuity between the too, albeit a cleaner colour.

Edit, found this pic of a ballast load. Not the best, but the best I could find on my phone. Illustrates the uniformity of the load though

IMG_20200205_163600_copy_2080x1560.jpg.9d773c05949279a765f5b0432831584a.jpg

Hope this helps

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Seacows look great Duncan, especially the texture on the chutes.

As for the load, perhaps a bit large grained and lacking uniformity of colour? What ballast did you use on the layout, I'd be inclined to use the same so you have continuity between the too, albeit a cleaner colour.

Edit, found this pic of a ballast load. Not the best, but the best I could find on my phone. Illustrates the uniformity of the load though

IMG_20200205_163600_copy_2080x1560.jpg.9d773c05949279a765f5b0432831584a.jpg

Hope this helps

Jo

Hi Jo,

I have to agree with your comments. I don't have any of the ballast left I used for Shirebrook. It was from a french supplier, GDP, it too was of more than one colour particle also, so may be not of much use as a load anyway. I have tried various sand but the particles too small, something between the sand and the coarse sand as photographed in the wagons and of a single colour will be the answer-the search begins....

Thanks for your help Jo.

Cheers

Duncan

1 hour ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Jo,

I have to agree with your comments. I don't have any of the ballast left I used for Shirebrook. It was from a french supplier, GDP, it too was of more than one colour particle also, so may be not of much use as a load anyway. I have tried various sand but the particles too small, something between the sand and the coarse sand as photographed in the wagons and of a single colour will be the answer-the search begins....

Thanks for your help Jo.

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan have you thought of trying coarse seaside sand ? The wagons look superb now they are sitting on the rails.

Cheers

Mike.

Edited by EWS FAN

• RMweb Gold

Duncan, there is some sand you can get, and I forget the name of it now - something like kiln dried sand?  One of the chaps on here uses it for resembling ash on a 7mm shed and very effective it is.  That may be worth a look, but there is still the aspect of needing to get it grey.  Is there any 'Z' gauge ballast anywhere, might be about right .. or small 'N' gauge stuff from Woodland Scenics. I like C&L ballast on the 7mm stuff, but I dont think their sizes go down to 2mm, and 4mm will be oversize again.

The wagons look great, but I would agree with other comments on the size and colour of the loads - not wishing to nit-pick.

Rich

6 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Duncan, there is some sand you can get, and I forget the name of it now - something like kiln dried sand?  One of the chaps on here uses it for resembling ash on a 7mm shed and very effective it is.  That may be worth a look, but there is still the aspect of needing to get it grey.  Is there any 'Z' gauge ballast anywhere, might be about right .. or small 'N' gauge stuff from Woodland Scenics. I like C&L ballast on the 7mm stuff, but I dont think their sizes go down to 2mm, and 4mm will be oversize again.

The wagons look great, but I would agree with other comments on the size and colour of the loads - not wishing to nit-pick.

Rich

10 hours ago, EWS FAN said:

Hi Duncan have you thought of trying coarse seaside sand ? The wagons look superb now they are sitting on the rails.

Cheers

Mike.

Hi, Morning,

Thanks for your comments and tips. The sand photographed was collected from a beach on Anglesey, it is slightly large and multicoloured. I have several other sands collected from various locations but these are too fine. If any reader come across a uniform sand/ballast please let me know.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Steven B said:

I don't know where the Shirebrook area got its ballast from but for photos of late BR era trains take a look at the four pages of pictures starting here: http://www.penmorfa.com/Archive/thirtynine.htm

Steven B.

Great photos thank you. I will keep looking until I find a model version of those loads.

Cheers

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

C - definitely.  

Can I suggest an easier vote; Use:

"Like" = A

"Thanks" = B

"Informative" = C

That way you only seed to read the numbers of votes against your message above (instead of dozens of short messages).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

C - definitely.  

Can I suggest an easier vote; Use:

"Like" = A

"Thanks" = B

"Informative" = C

That way you only seed to read the numbers of votes against your message above (instead of dozens of short messages).

Yes now why didn't I think of that! Got that everybody.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Scott B said:

C for me out of the three but I still think it looks too large, sorry.

Are none of the ballasts available from the like of GreenSceene/Woodland Scenics etc not suitable ?

Scott

Duncan, I have cast my vote above - but while I agree on the choice, I'd respectfully disagree with Scott on the size aspect.  I thought the same at first, its still bit big, but looking around I am not sure it is.  We need to bear in mind that the photo view is different to the eye view, and makes it appear bigger.  It might be worth doing a picture of the wagon with a pound coin alongside for some perspective?  

EDIT: Having said all that, I have just looked at the picture below and compared with the shot of 'C' above, the ballast in your wagon does look perhaps larger than what is beneath the wagon, under the track on Shirebrook....

If you look at this shot https://www.tauntontrains.co.uk/photos/gallery/class37/7 of 37025 (fourth picture down on the page) the ballast in those seacows looks similar to me.  

As does this shot ... 

Screenshot_2020-02-24_at_22_29_23.png.1652c6dd6cfcd9414c40043a27144613.png

which is a screenshot from this Youtube video (not mine):

I suspect it could be a get it close, then its personal preference time.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane