• RMweb Gold

Looks great Duncan,

Ironic that you've outshopped and named this loco, the very week that Network Rail has completed the first part of the paper to mothball the Cottam branch.  All signalling in the site is now switched off and stop boards erected at the NR boundary.  Strategic freight location apparently, so won't be ripped up for three years at least, but nothing can now go down there.  Shirebrook gives memories of happier times (in all respects at present!)

Rich

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, MarshLane said:

Looks great Duncan,

Ironic that you've outshopped and named this loco, the very week that Network Rail has completed the first part of the paper to mothball the Cottam branch.  All signalling in the site is now switched off and stop boards erected at the NR boundary.  Strategic freight location apparently, so won't be ripped up for three years at least, but nothing can now go down there.  Shirebrook gives memories of happier times (in all respects at present!)

Rich

Hi Rich,

I hope you are keeping well. Your news is very sad, changing times. Sorry to be ignorant when did Cottam PS close? Is West Burton still open and is that changing to bio fuel?

Cheers

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Rich,

I hope you are keeping well. Your news is very sad, changing times. Sorry to be ignorant when did Cottam PS close? Is West Burton still open and is that changing to bio fuel?

Cheers

Yes West Burton is still open, taking coal as and when needed, due to stay open for the next three years I believe.  Cottam closed in late September last year

All well here thanks. Remarkably busy with work, but drop down to short weeks after next week, so might have a bit of time to do some modelling!

Stay safe

Rich

• Informative/Useful 2

Hi Duncan,

Having had some of your stock running on Dallam in November at the Blackburn show and your recent Redstripe 58's, the inevitable has happened. Going to become Tinsleys 37355. 

Cheers

Simon 

Ps those 58's are very nice

20200430_192420.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mark Whiteley said:

Looking good Duncan. But, Mr Hunnisett, name plates on a locomotive...... this lock down must be getting too you :D:lol:

You can blame me for asking. Cottam power power station is (or was) fairly local to the area is my excuse. So's West Burton power station - I'm looking forward to a model of 56028 too. Modelling that will require some hacking with a razor saw.

Carl

• Like 1

Happy Bank Holiday?

That's what it says in my diary, but I've been getting work emails? Should I be at work-don't know. Anyway...

For the past couple of days I have mostly been weathering Dogfish. I have thinned the top lips of the hoppers before beginning the weathering, that's 22 done now, 15 more to go.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1955.JPG

IMG_1956.JPG

IMG_1957.JPG

IMG_1958.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

The rake looks good Duncan, unusual to see a '33' at Shirebrook too ... trust you to be on the line side the day that comes through :)

Rich

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarshLane said:

The rake looks good Duncan, unusual to see a '33' at Shirebrook too ... trust you to be on the line side the day that comes through :)

Rich

Hi Rich,

I was lucky that day, I reckon it was at Shirebrook because it had dragged this 92 up to the depot for an upcoming open day!:D I went back in the evening just as the setting sun caught the side of the 92.

IMG_1959.JPG

IMG_1961.JPG

• Like 8

50 minutes ago, 87023Velocity said:

Like the Dogfish, really look the part with an odd Dutch version added in too. Would be interested to hear how you thinned the top lips as I have just picked 3 black ones up for a future project. 

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

I trust you are keeping well. The 'modification' process involved scraping away the insides of the hopper with a scalpel. To speed up the process I also used a cutter in my mini drill but this tended to melt the plastic... I had to be careful to take light cuts and not use too high a cutting speed, I finished off with a scrape with the scalpel to clean up.

The difference is noticeable, I think the lip on the dogfish is poorly modeled and way bigger than it needs to be. It's a similar story with the footsteps at the platform end but that would be too time consuming to change on so many vehicles to do!

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_1962.JPG

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Dont' forget to change the OHLE warning stickers on the Dogfish. The all-over-grey liveried ones are post-privatisation and have the modern yellow and black triangles rather than the standard red flash of the 1980s.

Thinning down the edge does make a big difference though!

Steven B.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 05/05/2020 at 16:10, Steven B said:

Dont' forget to change the OHLE warning stickers on the Dogfish. The all-over-grey liveried ones are post-privatisation and have the modern yellow and black triangles rather than the standard red flash of the 1980s.

Thinning down the edge does make a big difference though!

Steven B.

Thanks Steven

I did not realise that the grey examples post dated the time frame for Shirebrook. I think I will backdate them to dutch liveried examples in due course. yes all the wagons look a whole lot better with the top lips thinned down. 

I did understand that the black examples are rather too early for the Shirebrook time frame but with a slight hint of olive green I'm hoping they will pass as weathered olive green examples.

Anyway why didn't Dapol produce these wagons in olive green?

Cheers

Duncan

4 minutes ago, Duncan. said:

I did not realise that the grey examples post dated the time frame for Shirebrook.

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan. I could be wrong but I dont think there were ever any plain grey dogfish (excluding preservation). I think it was just  made up by Dapol.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Good Evening all,

I have been working on a side project over the past week but rather than giving a regular update I thought I would wait until finished. Well almost finished. The loco is ex works with just one transfer logo remaining to be applied. (postman has let me down!)

I am sure that some of you will appreciate seeing a clean loco and the photos below illustrate this. It will be faded and weathered before it gets front line service on Shirebrook.

Class 20 Partial Respray to give a new identity.

I have to say at the start that the 'new' loco is not fully accurate, the new identity represents a former scottish region example and as such was delivered from new with a tablet catcher and deeper cab side windows. At the time period I am modelling the loco, the tablet catcher equipment had been removed and plated over but the widows remained as built....

I did think of deepening the cab side windows but I was concerned that the result may not be to the same standard as the rest of the model. I think I will draw an etch for the deeper cab side windows and  do some testing before retro fitting to this and others in my fleet which share a similar history. 

The photos show below the original donor loco 20048 stripped from chassis with cab removed and railfreight red sprayed onto the solebar and buffer beams.

The close ups of the ends show the added pipework (the loco will run as the lead loco of a pair of 20's and therefore full pipework is present at the cab end) I have also added the disc details in a pattern found in prototype photos. You can also see the larger BR logo I applied to the bodysides. The bogies had springs and axlebox covers picked out as per the prototype. The cab roof is painted white and the loco was renumbered with oversize numbering.

Finally 'Bedale' nameplates were added to the solebars. The only part of the livery missing is the Thornaby Kingfisher- stuck in the post! Once that has been applied I will fade and weather down to a more workaday finish.

Cheers

Duncan.

IMG_1965.JPG

IMG_1966.JPG

IMG_1967.JPG

IMG_1968.JPG

IMG_1969.JPG

IMG_1970.JPG

IMG_1971.JPG

IMG_1972.JPG

IMG_1975.JPG

IMG_1977.JPG

IMG_1979.JPG

IMG_1974.JPG

IMG_1976.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

Duncan,

Superb modelling.  Nice to see a different version of 'Bedale' modelled, rather than the white transfer letting in the middle of the solebar. Not sure if that was earlier or later, but the new model looks good, will be interested to see how you weather that.  I am looking forward to making a start on a few things.  Just actually have to get to the starting point .. where does the time go, even lockdown hasn't helped me in that respect!

Rich

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Stunning work on 20028 Duncan, are you going to do another of the Thornaby 20's to go with it, 20172,173,174? 

I remember these appeared in the Wigan area, think around the same time 20030/064 appeared aswell during  88, it was a change from standard BR blue and odd Railfreight 20's at Springs Branch depot, here is a picture from Flickr a bit later than your model but paired with 20172.

20028 & 20172 at Wigan 29/1/1988 20BR142

This is at Wigan NW being used on weekend drags.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 87023Velocity said:

Stunning work on 20028 Duncan, are you going to do another of the Thornaby 20's to go with it, 20172,173,174? 

I remember these appeared in the Wigan area, think around the same time 20030/064 appeared aswell during late 88, it was a change from standard BR blue and odd Railfreight 20's at Springs Branch depot, here is a picture from Flickr a bit later than your model but paired with 20172. 

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

I had noticed during research that 20028 did appear in the North West often paired with 172 on the Fiddlers Ferry Circuit, out based at Springs Branch though still allocated to Toton. So (as usual) I'm using a little modelers' licence for it to be at Shirebrook. I just wanted to model a 20 that was a little different for a little variety. I'm not planning to model another Thornaby 20  to pair it up no.

Cheers

Duncan 

Edited by Duncan.
Additional text
  • Like 1

How about these Duncan?

Class 20

They are just about to pass under Folly Lane bridge which is the start of the scenic section of Dallam. The points in the foreground feed the sidings. This was 1990, must have my dates muddled with these and the Thornaby pair.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Duncan. said:

I did understand that the black examples are rather too early for the Shirebrook time frame but with a slight hint of olive green I'm hoping they will pass as weathered olive green examples.

Cheers

Duncan

The lack of an olive green Dogfish is one of life's little mysteries!

I bought a couple when they first came out (followed by the "rusty" ones and a couple of dutch ones). The grey ones will get a dusting of olive green and plenty of rust at some point.

Steven B

22 hours ago, andy stroud said:

Hi Duncan. I could be wrong but I dont think there were ever any plain grey dogfish (excluding preservation). I think it was just  made up by Dapol.

3 minutes ago, Steven B said:

The lack of an olive green Dogfish is one of life's little mysteries!

I bought a couple when they first came out (followed by the "rusty" ones and a couple of dutch ones). The grey ones will get a dusting of olive green and plenty of rust at some point.

Steven B

Hi Steven,

So is Andy right about the grey examples quoted above. As I said I will apply 'dutch ' yellow to my grey examples in any case. I ask just out of idle curiosity.

Cheers

Duncan

• Agree 1