Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • RMweb Gold

Merry Christmas and glad you've both made a good recovery.  Thanks for continuing inspirational modelling and posting on here.  Here's to 2022 (as I think 2021 isn't going to be that much better until the summer....)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Merry Christmas Duncan. Thanks for sharing your wonderful modelling during the year. Especially during the lockdown periods it's been brilliant to be able to keep upto date with your progress. Hopefully 2021 will be an improvement and Shirebrook will be enjoyed in the flesh once again at shows. 

 

All the best,

Dave

  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Seriously impressive stuff Duncan! They will look smart when complete, only trouble with working signals is rembering to obey them (I have been guilty once or twice (alot basically)). 

My signals are still powered from 9v batteries and the switches mounted on the backscene, it will all get wired in when the FY extension is completed. 

 

Cheers

 

Simon

  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

Seriously impressive stuff Duncan! They will look smart when complete, only trouble with working signals is rembering to obey them (I have been guilty once or twice (alot basically)). 

My signals are still powered from 9v batteries and the switches mounted on the backscene, it will all get wired in when the FY extension is completed. 

 

Cheers

 

Simon

Hi Simon,

I have a cunning plan....(Mr Blackadder) to avoid spads. Including red repeater LEDs on the control panels and use of a timing circuit. So (unrealistically) the signals will normally be (off) the passing train will set them to danger and the timer will be configured to return signal to clear, hopefully before the next train arrives. An override switch could hold the signal at danger when shunting is taking place. Good theory(?) now just have to design and build!

Cheers

Duncan

  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Simon,

I have a cunning plan....(Mr Blackadder) to avoid spads. Including red repeater LEDs on the control panels and use of a timing circuit. So (unrealistically) the signals will normally be (off) the passing train will set them to danger and the timer will be configured to return signal to clear, hopefully before the next train arrives. An override switch could hold the signal at danger when shunting is taking place. Good theory(?) now just have to design and build!

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

Don’t want to put a spanner in the works for you, but may I gentle suggest a rethink on the auto operation? It will work for some signals, but like the one by the box approaching the junction won’t. To have a signal off when a train is crossing over to the other line, would in my view, destroy the realism you’ve worked hard to achieve. It would be the equivalent of running a Western through Shirebrook on GWR unfitted opens! Your railway, your way of working but thought I’d just mention it.

 

Rich

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Duncan,

Don’t want to put a spanner in the works for you, but may I gentle suggest a rethink on the auto operation? It will work for some signals, but like the one by the box approaching the junction won’t. To have a signal off when a train is crossing over to the other line, would in my view, destroy the realism you’ve worked hard to achieve. It would be the equivalent of running a Western through Shirebrook on GWR unfitted opens! Your railway, your way of working but thought I’d just mention it.

 

Rich

Hi Rich,

I hope you are keeping well. You are quite right, I knew someone would pick up on my 'Baldrick' plan!  There is also the problem of the signals approaching the junction from the north, one is a colour light (from Clipstone) the other pictured in the post above a semaphore (from Worksop) I have several ideas about suitable solutions, but if you or anyone else has ideas please contact me, all help gratefully accepted.  Plan attached below to help you work it out!

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_2602.JPG

Edited by Duncan.
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Class 31 154.

A somewhat unusual visitor at Shriebrook was 31154. It had worked down from Tinsley light loco to collect condemmed 16 toners from Mansfield Concentration Sidings for onward movement to Booth's. However a problem was found on the loco. It returned to Shirebrook  for remedial work before completing the job.

This new (refubished) loco was weathered and detailed at one end using the parts supplied. I was disappointed to see that the radiator fan has reverted from a 3D recessed example to a moulded version. I guess this has been done to accommodate the speaker, Personally I preferred the recessed fan....

 

IMG_2680.JPG.18f338a82387bf5e6c727f8573d280bd.JPG

 

IMG_2681.JPG.93edabd900b900d5b5c524be48b22fc5.JPG

Cheers

Duncan 

 

 

  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, RBE said:

Nice. I'm still contemplating whether to get a RF or petroleum on of these.

Hi Cav,

The factory example in petroleum livery is, IMO, let down by the inverted roof cowling. I purchased one of these locos for a xmas present (not to myself!) The recipient wants me to produce an etched replacement! I think you would want something finer yourself.

Cheers

Duncan

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, so does the class 40. I'm not entirely happy about it as I feel I'm being charged for an item I don't require and have no plans to use... and in the case of the 31 the previous release had the recessed and fully 3D (was it etched or moulded)  radiator fan and etched grille now replaced  (in a retrograde step) by a combination  moulded grille and fan

Cheers

Duncan

  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

I really like the weathering around the grilles Duncan.
Did you think about renumbering it at all? I have considered it but decided not to in the end because I haven’t plucked up the courage yet!

Hi,

Most of the Shirebrook loco fleet are renumbered. This was a rare instance where renumbering was not essential. I used to live just over a mile from Tinsley and this loco could be seen regularly on Speedlink services and local trip freights. Therefore it is entirely possible it could have worked to Shirebrook too.

How did you get on with replacing your tunout?

Cheers

Duncan

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Duncan. said:

Hi,

Most of the Shirebrook loco fleet are renumbered. This was a rare instance where renumbering was not essential. I used to live just over a mile from Tinsley and this loco could be seen regularly on Speedlink services and local trip freights. Therefore it is entirely possible it could have worked to Shirebrook too.

How did you get on with replacing your tunout?

Cheers

Duncan


I see yes, I don’t know if it ever made it’s way down here in that livery, plenty of original Railfreight 31s made it up to Barnstaple though. I was thinking about turning mine into 31132 which I’d had a run behind back then, but on looking at photos it had snowploughs and a sealed beam headlight... 


I’ve not attempted the turnout yet because I’ve been having central heating work done on the house and the railway’s been pushed into the corner of the room. I might tackle it tomorrow though once I’ve cleared some space this afternoon. :good:

  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Cowley 47521 said:


I see yes, I don’t know if it ever made it’s way down here in that livery, plenty of original Railfreight 31s made it up to Barnstaple though. I was thinking about turning mine into 31132 which I’d had a run behind back then, but on looking at photos it had snowploughs and a sealed beam headlight... 


I’ve not attempted the turnout yet because I’ve been having central heating work done on the house and the railway’s been pushed into the corner of the room. I might tackle it tomorrow though once I’ve cleared some space this afternoon. :good:

Yes changing the number will require close examination of prototype photos. Some were fitted with sealed beam headlights, you can buy moulded examples or build up your own from plasticard. Snowploughs would not be fitted as a permanent fixture on the prototype.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.