8 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Duncan,

Very interesting - do you remove the masking tape while the paint is wet or tacky, or wait until its totally dried?

Rich

Hi Rich,

Yes I always remove the masking as soon as possible after spraying, (first I clean out the airbrush). This is done because, as you can see in the photos, if there is some overspray it can easily be removed with a small brush and some thinners. The paint underneath will not be affected as I have left it for 48 hours to dry, if it was still'soft' it could also be affected by the thinners. If you lok back at some of my earlier posts you will see some of photos of 56 036 and 56127 both I have resprayed and weathered. For more photos of my stock, I have painted, repainted and weathered please check my flickr page at https://www.flickr.com/photos/135257675@N08/ .

I will post some more photos of the continued progress of this model over the next few weeks.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good Evening. In this post I will show three photographs in my continuing class 56 repaint. The first photo shows the fully masked loco in full burka mode. I assure you that somewhere beneath the masking there lurks a class 56 locomotive! The second photo shows the loco straight from the spray booth and the final photograph shows the loco unmasked. I hope you like and please do comment. It isn't perfect, but it is always tricky masking around the windows.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_0912.JPG

IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0914.JPG

• Like 8

Thanks Simon. The Salmons are currently available at the NGS Shop but there are long periods when they are out of stock, frustrating! Some replacement bogies are available as part exchange from the shop. There are a few bits of detail to be added to some wagons, the track panel salmons need strapping to hold the panels and some detail painting. Some of the minerals will be loaded....

15 hours ago, RBE said:

Love the salmons. I really need to get the CADs done for my 3D printed LWRT!

LWRT- long welded rail train? Will it be loaded? and if it is how do you plan to make the load 'bend' around our model  curves? Good Luck on that one Cav.  My next project is to repaint , and weather my Dogfish wagons anyone got any hints and tips to help me with this, and does anyone have or know of any transfers that are available.

Thanks 

Duncan

3 hours ago, RBE said:

I don't plan to run it loaded. Too much hassle to get it to go around curves. The train runs just as often empty as full I say!

Obviously the correct answer! I will look forward to seeing this materialise.  No info on the Dogfish then?

Cheers Duncan

Well I have a weathered Grampus on the page above, I would do something similar with the Dogfish.

As for transfers, what are you after? Precision labels do tops data panel sets, or are you looking for weathering decals?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RBE said:

Well I have a weathered Grampus on the page above, I would do something similar with the Dogfish.

As for transfers, what are you after? Precision labels do tops data panel sets, or are you looking for weathering decals?

Hi Cav, That's great, Data panels are what I am after. I looked on the Fox site but they only do 'Catfish' and Real Tec only do 'Dogfish' in 4mm so I'll soure the Precision ones-Thanks. I have 15 to do.....

And a thought (just a thought) about your proposed LWRT when the rails are replaced, are the 'used' rails not reloaded onto the LWRT as or after the new rails are off loaded for return to a P-Way depot? Therefore is the returning train 'loaded' too? I really have no idea...

Cheers

Duncan

Regarding the LWRT. I remember seeing them at Eastleigh yard back in the early 90s. From memory they came down loaded and go out to the job and come back empty. The old rail was ofen cut into panels and lifted with the sleepers and loaded onto Salmon or similar wagons which came back to Eastleigh.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Peter. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, P.C.M said:

Regarding the LWRT. I remember seeing them at Eastleigh yard back in the early 90s. From memory they came down loaded and go out to the job and come back empty. The old rail was ofen cut into panels and lifted with the sleepers and loaded onto Salmon or similar wagons which came back to Eastleigh.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Peter. 

Thanks for your input Peter. I hope you have seen the models of the Salmons in previous posts. Engineers traffic in general is an area where small runs such as 3d printing could prove useful  enabling us to model those out of the ordinary workings and make our layouts a little more interesting.

Cheers

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

"Ribbon" rail is available from N Scale Kits - http://www.nscalekits.co.uk/welded_rail.html

It's flexible plastic and approx code 63 rail. The videos show it to be quite effective, but I'd want larger radius curves before I considered using it!

New rail would be delivered on the LWRT; As mentioned, the used stuff would be cut into 60' lengths, either as panels or individual rails to be loaded onto a Salmon - as per the images further up the page. These would return to a PAD (pre-assembly depot); Anything reusable would be saved for use in sidings etc with the remaining going for scrap.

• Informative/Useful 2

19 minutes ago, Steven B said:

"Ribbon" rail is available from N Scale Kits - http://www.nscalekits.co.uk/welded_rail.html

It's flexible plastic and approx code 63 rail. The videos show it to be quite effective, but I'd want larger radius curves before I considered using it!

New rail would be delivered on the LWRT; As mentioned, the used stuff would be cut into 60' lengths, either as panels or individual rails to be loaded onto a Salmon - as per the images further up the page. These would return to a PAD (pre-assembly depot); Anything reusable would be saved for use in sidings etc with the remaining going for scrap.

Thanks Simon that is really helpful, I think Cav may have to rethink his LWRT and run a loaded one! What's that do I hear wheels turning in Burton on Trent? Thanks for the link too.

Cheers

Duncan

On 14/02/2019 at 21:20, RBE said:

Cheers Peter, I thought as much tbh.

I would love to do these RTR as they were seen everywhere but would they be of sufficient interest?

Hi Cav, I think there would be some interest. I would think it would be quite expensive but the Bachmann 5 set freightliner wagons are selling well so why not.

Start a thread and see what interest there is.

Cheers Peter.

On 14/02/2019 at 21:55, Duncan. said:

Thanks for your input Peter. I hope you have seen the models of the Salmons in previous posts. Engineers traffic in general is an area where small runs such as 3d printing could prove useful  enabling us to model those out of the ordinary workings and make our layouts a little more interesting.

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan, I am sorry I must have missed that post when I was scrolling down. 

They look great, I have only done the one myself so far. I have the cranes to paint and put on one too. The Salmon wagons with the cranes we used to call  Geismar  as that was the brand of crane. I remember having to turn them and LWRT via Eastleigh depot so than they were the right way round for the job they were going out on. I also remember seeing Sturgeon wagons with sides removed load  with track panels.

Cheers Peter. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi Peter,

I have a couple of Sturgeons on order from Revolution. I will be adding these to my salmons when they arrive, do you have any photographs of the wagons with sides and the loads therein?  Did they ever, for example have a 'mixture' of old ballast , pieces of rail and the odd sleeper? I'm just fishing for a different and 'interesting' load.

Cheers

Duncan

17 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Peter,

I have a couple of Sturgeons on order from Revolution. I will be adding these to my salmons when they arrive, do you have any photographs of the wagons with sides and the loads therein?  Did they ever, for example have a 'mixture' of old ballast , pieces of rail and the odd sleeper? I'm just fishing for a different and 'interesting' load.

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan, 

I don't have any pics but there are some on the Paul bartlett wagon website, though nothing showing loads. From memory wagons with sides could have sleepers and odd lengths of rail I don't remember seeing spoil but if a grab is loading rail and sleepers out on site some spoil and ballast would end up in the wagon, I remember seeing wagons with the sides dropped including ZDAs etc being swept out even a JCB using it's bucket to scrape out old ballast rail chairs etc. 

Cheers Peter.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Peter,

That is helpful. I have seen PBs photos, and excellent they are, I just need a website where someone has photographed everything from a high bridge and all the shots are looking down! It is always the roofs and insides of wagons that are the most difficult to find on the net. 

Cheers

Duncan

• Agree 1