Life in a Northern Town

Neil

On 04/10/2020 at 14:06, Neil said:

I've just noticed that in between some earlier posts the forum software states how much time has elapsed, 'two weeks later' or 'four weeks later'. I'm not really sure if this will act to speed me up or whether with my contrarian nature it'll slow me down, maybe in time I'll make my mind up.

It will be ready when it is ready, no point trying to force something, you'll only end up being dissatisfied with the end result.

I enjoy watching your layouts develop.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Time for a further photo showing where the level crossing will be, hopefully with a better set of gates than these place holders.

1548231877_yk163.jpg.47d1d826290c5fb4d1e8125983fff5aa.jpg

Other tasks attended to have been replacing the motor in my Q6 (one of Hornby's dodgy batch) and cutting out the components for the control panel.

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

This weekend I've been putting together the main control panel. Though only five inches deep it's four feet long ( I have built shorter layouts than this in the past) and apart from the track diagram will have six switches to select either the main or yard pilot controller.

776479989_controlpanel01.jpg.30035a49510b0f8b59efb28209405926.jpg

It's this long partly so that it can be bracketed off the layout legs and partly because it will function as a shelf to hold the controllers, track rubbers, uncoupling tools and mugs of tea. One function it won't have is point control. All the motored points will be driven from a remote lever frame at the end of the layout, the rest are hand operated from levers next to the points.

610679404_cc033.jpg.9c8a796e31d90942ef4d97d6322dcfcb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Got to get the priorities right. Before coronalurgi, when my local mates would gather at each others on a Friday night to play trains two of the ergonomic issues were overcrowded gangways and nowhere to put your tea. While these aren't obvious layout planning factors I wanted to make sure that two fat old blokes could pass and that they would have somewhere to put their drinks. The garage isn't as spacious as the chapel but I've managed five foot gangways over most of the layout.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Not all progress has to be on the grand scale to be satisfying. A couple of days ago I spent a short while at the workbench doing one of my favourite jobs, coaling up.

1000041300_yk176.jpg.d531c00c248f2203f58e3d3c2ffbe239.jpg

Part of the satisfaction comes from the easy win and part I guess because it signifies that the hard work is done. Both locos still need crew but that's not too demanding.

Edited by Neil
  • Like 15

On 26/10/2020 at 16:52, Neil said:

The Q6 has been remotored and so far seems to be a reliable runner having had a few test outings. Last week I made a start on weathering it, finishing it yesterday. I always tackle locos in several sections so that I always have a decent part to pick it up by. Here's the grubby bruiser.

12472331_yk167.jpg.5a275092408f1ecd324976ab18067ce4.jpg

1955524963_yk168.jpg.f56ea404957224eb6bf50363b926ae94.jpg

Finally a photo of my second K1, this spent a long while at a mates after a running section when I inadvertently brought his home and left mine there.

1516691541_yk166.jpg.b9104fa97894afb18c89bfb6c0ce9935.jpg

Excellent weathering on the Q6. What did you use?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Excellent weathering on the Q6. What did you use?

Thank you Tim. I used Humbrol enamels, black (33) lightened with cream (74)  to which I add a drop of red oxide (100) and blue (109). The underparts use a slightly lighter version of this with the motion done in a mix of brown (113) darkened with black (33). The underframe is generally painted and left but the body painted on then partially scrubbed off. I have an old stubby brush which I use for the scrubbing off process.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Neil said:

The section diagram is temporary until I do a more workmanlike job.

That one is at least as good as my last ‘finished’ effort!

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
Autoincorrect
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Neil said:

Spot on Rich, I should have mentioned that I used white transfer paper. I also stocked up on clear at the same time, though I doubt that it will prove to be as useful.

Not yet used it but I also recently bought a stock of white and clear. I was thinking the clear would be good for lining, loco lettering and numbering etc., as by setting it out digitally it would be in line whereas single letters/numerals can vary. 

As usual this is impressive stuff.

• RMweb Premium

I have noticed that the home made transfers are a little thicker than those by Modelmaster and Fox. This might be because of the varnish layers on top; I need to experiment some more with this. If you look at the applied transfer at an oblique angle a feint white line is just apparent but this will go once the weathering kicks in. I'll try to illustrate this once I've properly finished one of the wagons.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 02/12/2020 at 22:45, Neil said:

The mdf roads and hardstanding have had their joins filled and smoothed before receiving a couple of coats of Farrow and Ball 'Hardwick White' which as you can see is actually grey. I brushed it on and then while still wet stippled it with a sponge to get rid of any brush marks.

One knows one is in the presence of Modelling Royalty when F&B paint is being used!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

One knows one is in the presence of Modelling Royalty when F&B paint is being used!

Appearances can be mightily deceptive. I'm more Jim Royle than Royal.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2