Life in a Northern Town

Neil

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sometimes, perhaps rarely, you come across something inspirational which tops up the mojo, pushes you on or confirms you're on the right track. This fabulous image of a J27 at Leeman Road, found on Facebook, does all three for me. While Northern Town is primarily about freight not loco stabling, oily and weedy sidings are firmly on the agenda as is the overall air of drabness prevalent at the time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neil said:

Sometimes, perhaps rarely, you come across something inspirational which tops up the mojo, pushes you on or confirms you're on the right track. This fabulous image of a J27 at Leeman Road, found on Facebook, does all three for me. While Northern Town is primarily about freight not loco stabling, oily and weedy sidings are firmly on the agenda as is the overall air of drabness prevalent at the time.

The link fails, could you recheck it please Neil. Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

If it's been posted in a group and the group is set to private only members of that group can see it.

Thank you, that's probably it. I'll see if I can get permission to share it here.

• RMweb Premium

The weather here has been either cold or wet or at times both. It's been a considerable disincentive to head out to the garage so all activity has taken place on my workbench indoors. Doris (not very Glam Cabs) hasn't been lonely as several other citizens of Northern Town have been keeping her company on the workbench too. So far they're all of Dapol parentage though their ancestral line can be traced back to Airfix. Some like Doris have had a bit of plastic surgery and some just as the sprue came out of the moulding machine.

469907954_figures01.jpg.1d599f2155cfca79c0cd36be58153c7c.jpg

1446768935_figures02.jpg.4f588f6b7460bfbae202b79b03ce54ec.jpg

420189009_figures03.jpg.b1a8a524407cf9c0c2f996e17eb6a90a.jpg

I coloured them in with enamels followed by a waft over with Halfords matt lacquer. The final stage was a wash over with much thinned Humbrol dark grey (32) to highlight the detail and give shadows.

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Neil said:

There has been a sudden influx of railwaymen on Northern Town.

28460398_figures04.jpg.dc97488baa61ecab72f89cd79fe47794.jpg

A pair of them clambered aboard a 9F, the others await allocation.

Those Airfix/Dapol figures still cut the mustard these days. 

Something of a bargain as well.. ;)

Nice work Neil.. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 31/01/2021 at 17:56, Neil said:

There has been a sudden influx of railwaymen on Northern Town.

28460398_figures04.jpg.dc97488baa61ecab72f89cd79fe47794.jpg

A pair of them clambered aboard a 9F, the others await allocation.

Hi everyone,

I hope I am wrong but these 'workers' appear to be line dancing while on duty!

Regards,

Alex.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Further fun with the camera, this time coal arriving into Bishophill Yard.

I was in the garage to check the composition of the view block buildings, the brown card specimens seen right at the start of the video, and while I had stock and camera out I thought I might as well have a go at another short film.

• Like 14

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Since the last update I've concentrated on building buildings. First up is my version of the old Army and Navy stores at the top end of Fossgate. Like all structures I attempt these days, I started with a sketch which helps me work out what goes where and which features I want to focus on.

1348514513_cc069.jpg.b39e63912cae9f80e2230cd1c0415fc1.jpg

It is very much an impression as the model features only the corner third of the real thing. It's also at the other side of the river from my supposed location in the Bishophill area of York, but it's one of those bits of York that I wanted to have.

• Like 16

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Reports from Wallbridge Caravans head office in the New Forest have commented on the lack of stock present at the Yorkshire arm of the company. Investigations have proceeded apace to get to the bottom of the matter. After many phone calls and not a few telegrams it transpires that the latest models from Oxford Caravans have been sent by error to Wallbridge International in the Vischkaai area of the Belgium town of Verveling. Unfortunately the crack sales team there, led by the camel coated Hans Van Rumpuy, have flogged the bulk of the delivery leaving only this sole example left to be put back on the ferry for Hull and thence York. Whilst annoying for the company it's good to see trade with Europe flourishing and the UK's balance of payments on the up.

caravan.jpg.b69c7182236850354b5ed0a9bb521bdd.jpg

• Like 13
  • Funny 6