Life in a Northern Town

Neil

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

Neil, you're as good as CK when it comes to 'history'! :P

Thank you John, I find it helps to concoct small stories as they give a glimpse into the life I imagine for a scene.

I'm pleased to say that the wandering caravan has obviously made it safely across the North Sea as it appears on Wallbridge's forecourt at the very beginning of this early amateur footage from Ooop north.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

I would say Neil is creative with a subversive satirical streak; whereas CK is rather more far fetched, verging on incomprehensible.... :mocking_mini:

Curses; I have been rumbled.

• Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Cripes, what's going on here then? York has got a distinctly continental look all of a sudden. Some time ago it was thought that the region might benefit from better trading links with the rest of Europe and an organisation to pursue these aims set up. International Freight For Yorkshire was the result, a quango of grandiose ambition with a matching budget. Those in the know commented that it was a shame that experience and acumen weren't similarly plentiful. It's all a bit immaterial for the enthusiast as rail ferry services have been instituted from the port of Hull to Ostend but unlike those to Harwich, Belgian motive power and crews work through to York, allowing a glimpse of all sorts of exotica.

Ready for the return trip to Flanders an SNCB type 81 waits the road out of Bishophill Yard. A bit like a Q6 but with all the innards on the outside is the view of the local spotters.

1459412839_iffy01.jpg.d8295fcfdf9d731d8fc0bf0ebf09ed9d.jpg

The 81 has been waiting for an incoming train which most unusually has a class 29 electric in the consist. It's rumoured that this will be dragged from York to Sheffield as IFFY has an eye on expansion to the other sides of the Pennines;

1128217572_iffy02.jpg.7cf0ee9b125c580b3918694f95ace072.jpg

Meanwhile in a 'coals to Newcastle' moment a rake of refrigerated vans head off the light railway connection to Terry's loaded with chocolates for Belgium. Now if we could only get them interested in those other northern Saturday night staples of beer and chips.

448245061_iffy03.jpg.cb3f448b65db0d8a81d40d29f9cf8475.jpg

All this foreign stuff has really taken hold, even the directors of Yorkshire Chemical Fertilisers "more potent than manure" have got in on the act. Their Ruston has been sidelined in favour of a German built Henschel.

376249221_iffy04.jpg.e6c3d85d3179f6475ea65d4fdb1bbb01.jpg

All these overseas trains, a portent of things to come? Foreign trains on British metals, I can't see that happening. Remember the Midland and the Great Northern both tried American engines and we know what happened to them.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Ah, if only....

Getting nostalgic about being connected to Europe. We realised today that offspring v2.0 needs his passport renewed, so it will be one of those dark blue/black jobs without the 'European Union' wording....

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

Lovely bit of film there Neil!

Didn't know that you were an Oasis fan!:biggrin_mini2:

Thanks John, I've pretty wide ranging tastes in music but I've always liked this Oasis number and I thought it sort of fitted the video. Certainly a lot better than the dehumidifier clattering away in the background and me clomping about.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Today I've had a spot of constructive destruction. Remember where the light railway engine shed was in the mocked up form of the layout, well it's not going to be there. I finally worked out what I didn't like about that bit of the layout and it's that both rear (main line) and front (light railway) tracks were at the same level. So the engine shed will be relocated and the slope down to the lower level will start where I've trimmed back the trackbed to. Also I like stretches of plain track and this will give another visually satisfying bit and it should help space out the light railway controls from those of the main line and yard.

411324365_yk224.jpg.e66249b41400ecf1f4e659c4a0b49708.jpg

1307418029_yk225.jpg.48bc9106772a80ecb51a547e9091b145.jpg

Edited by Neil
  • Like 19

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm afraid that there's little to show at the moment as most of my efforts are being spent rebuilding our shower along with a spot of domestic wiring adjustments. By way of recompense I've dug up this rather splendid old film of freight handling in Sheffield. While Sheffield isn't York the atmosphere takes me straight back to my childhood. It does make me feel old that what was then cutting edge is now long obsolete.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A bad back has reduced me to tottering about with the odd tourettes like outburst when a move sets off a spasm. Progress on the layout has been almost non existent however I have found some grainy but wonderfully atmospheric footage of York steam in the sixties. It's funny but I often find the poor quality stuff far more evocative than the pin sharp, perfectly lit, footage.

Edited by Neil
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Neil said:

A bad back has reduced me to tottering about with the odd tourettes like outburst when a move sets off a spasm.

Ditto over the last couple of months, lots of shouting, though much better now. But a visit to A&E resulted in scans and x-rays that revealed osteoporosis, which may now be treated. I hope your spasms reduce and there is no underlying skeletal problem. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

I also suffer from a muscle-related lower back problem, Neil, so you have my sympathies.

I don't always know when I've done the damage and a couple of the worst instances have happened in my sleep(!), but my gut reaction is to have a hot bath, yet I am told that if the muscle is spasming, then it may well need a cold pack, not warmth!

All very confusing, I must try to remember to do the exercises that our brilliant local local osteopath gives me, which mostly seem to involve lying on my back on the floor and waving my legs in the air.

• Friendly/supportive 6