Life in a Northern Town

Neil

Guest Jack Benson

Gosh,

I am enjoying this build, thanks Neil for sharing.

Lots of great ideas and pragmatic modelling.

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

The latest project is a step away from stock and a return to the layout itself. One of the features of the design is one of the typical NER coal drops; in my case a two road affair. I though it best to build this off layout as a separate unit which can be installed once complete. So far I've put together the basic carcass from MDF, ply and some pse timber strip. The timber strip is a little thicker by a couple of mm than a typical pier should be so to keep the proportions looking about right I've increased their spacing a touch.

627444510_yk098.jpg.8120352dd4beafbbfdb85c4fbcd1ece6.jpg

The rails should have a deeper section than I'm using but I want to avoid difficulties joining to the rest of the layout so code 100 it is. I'm using steel stripped out from old set track. I'm not bothered if it goes a bit rusty in the garage as I won't be powering rails over the drops. From questions asked it seems as though locos were banned from running over the coal drops so I won't be allowing my operators to cheat.

729788090_yk097.jpg.0b68a3a4955a83ea8199738e3510d405.jpg

I thought at first I'd solder the rails to pins driven into the tops of the piers, but as I'm a little worried about the different materials expanding and contracting at different rates when the garage goes from cold to hot I think I'll just use ordinary dressmaking pins to spike the rails in place.

403025228_yk099.jpg.0c38542c86a75ddfc9e79c8f74082a4c.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Should the drops be a suitable width to match the wagons above, so the doors are all in the right place without having to move each wagon into place?

The drops would have been built for 10 ton hoppers rather than those posh modern 20 tonners. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neil said:

The latest project is a step away from stock and a return to the layout itself. One of the features of the design is one of the typical NER coal drops; in my case a two road affair.

627444510_yk098.jpg.8120352dd4beafbbfdb85c4fbcd1ece6.jpg

The rails should have a deeper section than I'm using but I want to avoid difficulties joining to the rest of the layout so code 100 it is. I'm using steel stripped out from old set track. I'm not bothered if it goes a bit rusty in the garage as I won't be powering rails over the drops. From questions asked it seems as though locos were banned from running over the coal drops so I won't be allowing my operators to cheat.

729788090_yk097.jpg.0b68a3a4955a83ea8199738e3510d405.jpg

403025228_yk099.jpg.0c38542c86a75ddfc9e79c8f74082a4c.jpg

On Felton Lane the track was c. 75 bullhead and the rails over the drops were c. 100 flatbottom on 4mm square timber, looks close enough to the prototype to me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

The drops would have been built for 10 ton hoppers rather than those posh modern 20 tonners. 

So would shunting be a faff if longer wagons were used, or would the 10t wagons be retained in service just to serve the drops?

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

So would shunting be a faff if longer wagons were used, or would the 10t wagons be retained in service just to serve the drops?

Photos from the late fifties, early sixties show an overwhelming preponderance of the 21t hoppers. Given that the wagons will be unloaded by me hoicking out the card, sponge and coal loads then I'm happy not to worry too much about the accurate positioning over the cells. The operating team will have enough on finding reach wagons to drag out short rakes that have been punted all the way down to the stops without having to worry where they park the loaded ones.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neil said:

The operating team will have enough on finding reach wagons to drag out short rakes that have been punted all the way down to the stops without having to worry where they park the loaded ones.

Be fun to watch the first time they remember the hard way that the staithes are isolated. 

:-)

I’m friendly like that!

Paul.

• RMweb Premium

Supplies of brick plasticard arrived in the post yesterday dinnertime so I've made a start on the cutting and sticking.

1805904152_yk100.jpg.c313c66d332f5b84c7a2385927bc401c.jpg

1903903834_yk101.jpg.daccec117b7842f771fbdcd31ddfa6e4.jpg

The experimental bits of rail have been temporarily removed by easing up the pins and pulling the rail out. They'll stay that way until the walls and base of the coal drops are complete and painted. Only then will I refit the rails, add in the rest of them and make a start on the decking.

Edited by Neil
  • Like 14

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some days I wake up knowing that it's not a good idea to make anything. If the mood's not right then there's a very good chance that whatever I build won't be right either. Normally I use these days to have a good tidy up but as my playroom was already unnaturally tidy this morning I had to cast around for something else to do. For some time I had been meaning to overlay my fictional design for Northern Town on top of its supposed location; today gave me that opportunity. I downloaded a series of map sections from the Old Maps website; 'right click, save as' doesn't work here so the 'print screen button' is your friend. Some cutting and assembling of the individual print outs gave me a large scale map of the Bishophill area of York. Some more work with tracing paper, pencil and pens allowed me to drop my fantasy into the reality of 1960's York.

1898715255_yk102.jpg.424cf4cc0cf3f222c5df1929ee00af79.jpg

I'm pretty pleased that it has proved possible and reasonable to fit my concocted version of events into the space I hoped for. On the model what appears in a straightish line here has to be bent round a corner to fit into the garage but apart from that not too many liberties will have to be taken with geography.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Nothing quite beats walking around your chosen area with a camera and clipboard and looking important.

I got some funny looks in a part of Bath, when a friend and I were 'surveying' the route for a projected layout that never got built.

Mind you, I get funny looks even when I'm not surveying for model railways.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Neil said:

Some days I wake up knowing that it's not a good idea to make anything. If the mood's not right then there's a very good chance that whatever I build won't be right either. Normally I use these days to have a good tidy up but as my playroom was already unnaturally tidy this morning I had to cast around for something else to do. For some time I had been meaning to overlay my fictional design for Northern Town on top of its supposed location; today gave me that opportunity. I downloaded a series of map sections from the Old Maps website; 'right click, save as' doesn't work here so the 'print screen button' is your friend. Some cutting and assembling of the individual print outs gave me a large scale map of the Bishophill area of York. Some more work with tracing paper, pencil and pens allowed me to drop my fantasy into the reality of 1960's York.

1898715255_yk102.jpg.424cf4cc0cf3f222c5df1929ee00af79.jpg

I'm pretty pleased that it has proved possible and reasonable to fit my concocted version of events into the space I hoped for. On the model what appears in a straightish line here has to be bent round a corner to fit into the garage but apart from that not too many liberties will have to be taken with geography.

I don't know whether you were aware (and may have mentioned it before) but a friend recently came across an early proposal for a terminus for a York & Selby Railway in that part of town, including I think a Micklegate tunnel - so maybe your fiction could have an element of historical accuracy?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 31A said:

I don't know whether you were aware (and may have mentioned it before) but a friend recently came across an early proposal for a terminus for a York & Selby Railway in that part of town, including I think a Micklegate tunnel - so maybe your fiction could have an element of historical accuracy?

That's not something I was aware of Steve. I suppose that I shouldn't be too surprised as all sorts of unlikely and difficult proposals were generated at the peak of railway mania.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Hi Neil

I've been following your thread with great interest. I noticed in the last few photos that your baseboard uses "rough" plywood. Do you notice any warping, compared to more expensive plywood, or do you have it well braced ?

Regards

• RMweb Premium

Hello Chris,

It's osb board or Stirling board and to be honest it's a bit pants. It doesn't seem to warp (reasonably well braced) but it can swell at the edges. However the track is on what effectively are  box beams with an mdf surface which has stayed pretty stable so far.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Having plenty of time on my hands at the moment and having no external commitments has meant good progress being made with structures for the layout.

I've made good progress on repurposing the soup works I built for the GMRC into an ice cream factory. It was originally built with this in mind as it seemed wasteful to put effort into something that would only have one short life on screen. The soup works signage was plucked off many months ago last year but I've only recently got round to painting on its new identity. It's been a simple if fiddly job using home cut stencils.

198973386_yk118.jpg.069fc5534b35953a0e83c916246fcc31.jpg

769590894_yk119.jpg.ecc57af208cba8aee767fdb85b15cf00.jpg

2024114589_yk120.jpg.babf921625d5785e44670b5f159e05f7.jpg

It's not just been refurbishments that have taken a turn on the workbench. Here's a new build knocked up out of plasticard over the last week.

1473018353_yk121.jpg.938437b8addf73b4a7c87297c7e14cf5.jpg

Both buildings immortalise my fellow GMRC team mates in the Cambrian Coasters. More will follow.

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3