Buidings of the Compagnie des Chemins de fer du Midi

nest

• RMweb Gold

Hello again

Following on from my previous thread asking for general information, I have a new request for assistance!

I am planning a layout based on the Ligne de Carcassonne á Rivesaltes and am thinking about the buildings for such a layout. I realise finding drawings of the specific buildings may be a little tricky so a more general request instead...

I am wondering if anyone has or knows of anywhere where I may be able to find drawings for some of the more rural railway buildings of the Compagnie des Chemins de fer du Midi? I know there is a ready-to-plant building that would fit quite well but I am quite keen to build my own so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Nestor

• RMweb Gold

I am sure that I have seen some. But I can't remember where.

I am down there early next month and could take some suitable photos to make drawings from. If I remember to get my Disto back from the wife, I can also take some key measurements.

There are iirc two different sizes. Would you be after the smaller or the larger?

Quite simple rectangular buildings so easy enough to scratchbuild.

• RMweb Gold

I am sure that I have seen some. But I can't remember where.

I am down there early next month and could take some suitable photos to make drawings from. If I remember to get my Disto back from the wife, I can also take some key measurements.

There are iirc two different sizes. Would you be after the smaller or the larger?

Quite simple rectangular buildings so easy enough to scratchbuild.

That would be of great help!

I have been looking at the smaller, particularly the building at Lappradelle. The simplicity has a certain charm.

I have a few photos, found online but I'm especially interest in straight on profile pictures and measurements. I did have a load of photos of the station and the line in general from a holiday a few years back but can't seem to locate them... A pain as it's a lovely line.

Nestor

• RMweb Gold

Lapradelle is a very attractive site especially if you have enough space to model the viaducts.

I doubt if I will get up that far (wife will keep me busy on the diy stuff) but I think Lapradelle has the same building as Espira which I will probably be passing on my way to BricoDepot.

• RMweb Gold

Thought folks might find this photo interesting. French tourist lines can be very different from our preservation outfits.

That said, even if the passenger vehicles are a bit odd, the 63000 looks rather good in that livery.-1509616843_42.jpg?itok=B2sl-eTd

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thought folks might find this photo interesting. French tourist lines can be very different from our preservation outfits.

That said, even if the passenger vehicles are a bit odd, the 63000 looks rather good in that livery.-1509616843_42.jpg?itok=B2sl-eTd

Yes I remember thinking that when I rode the line. All the stations where in pretty sorry state with buildings looking pretty run down and tracks over grown. This still had a certain charm of its own though. The emphasis was definitely on the tour side of things rather than any kind of UK style preservation effort.  

This photo confirms that Lapradelle-Puilaurens is the small two-door variant with attached goods shed. https://www.flickr.com/photos/116072983@N04/29080740402

Yes I had seen that particular photo. Very atmospheric little spot. The plan I have is for a stopping point once it's broken out into the vineyards between Lappradelle and Rivesaltes. A building like the one at Lapradelle or Espira is exactly what I'd be looking at modelling.

Nestor

Guess you may have already seen these?

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=gare%20de%20lapradelle

I had seen the first one but not the other two. Thanks!

Nestor

• RMweb Gold

The plan I have is for a stopping point once it's broken out into the vineyards between Lappradelle and Rivesaltes. A building like the one at Lapradelle or Espira is exactly what I'd be looking at modelling.

Cases-de-Pene might be the best option. Just outside the village, so among vines. And there is a natural scenic break to the west where the line goes behind the houses that front the main D617 road (most  of the village, including the Mairie, is on the other side of the river). Just east of the station is a quarry with rail-served sidings although I don't think that was there in your 1950s timeframe.

Edit to add: At least one of the stations had sidings into the local wine co-operative. That might be an excuse to run some of those nice old wine tank wagon models that various manufacturers have done.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile, on the next line south, somewhere interesting to stay. There is at least one other converted station in the region doing B&B, Chalabre iirc.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g2278077-d4917360-Reviews-La_Gare_de_Millas-Millas_Pyrenees_Orientales_Occitanie.html#photos;aggregationId=&albumid=22&filter=7

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Like 2

Looks like a fairly standard(possibly classic) French station building. Windows probably of standard size, so probably could use that as a guide. Roof pitch is often something that is different, depending on local weather system. This area looks pretty similar to the area I know to the northeast of Carcassonne. Slightly further north and it is slates not tiles on roof.

Quite a few drawings of similar station buildings in Loco Revue and Voie Libre. Worth having a look in issues online at http://fr.1001mags.com/magazine/loco-revue  

Has not been updated for a while but still plenty to search through.

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile, on the next line south, somewhere interesting to stay. There is at least one other converted station in the region doing B&B, Chalabre iirc.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g2278077-d4917360-Reviews-La_Gare_de_Millas-Millas_Pyrenees_Orientales_Occitanie.html#photos;aggregationId=&albumid=22&filter=7

Looks wonderfully twee!

The plan I have is for a stopping point once it's broken out into the vineyards between Lappradelle and Rivesaltes. A building like the one at Lapradelle or Espira is exactly what I'd be looking at modelling.

Cases-de-Pene might be the best option. Just outside the village, so among vines. And there is a natural scenic break to the west where the line goes behind the houses that front the main D617 road (most  of the village, including the Mairie, is on the other side of the river). Just east of the station is a quarry with rail-served sidings although I don't think that was there in your 1950s timeframe.

Edit to add: At least one of the stations had sidings into the local wine co-operative. That might be an excuse to run some of those nice old wine tank wagon models that various manufacturers have done.

Its another location which looks to have a very similar station building. If I had a lot more space, a model including the quarry (bending history never hurts in modelling) would be rather nice.  

Looks like a fairly standard(possibly classic) French station building. Windows probably of standard size, so probably could use that as a guide. Roof pitch is often something that is different, depending on local weather system. This area looks pretty similar to the area I know to the northeast of Carcassonne. Slightly further north and it is slates not tiles on roof.

Quite a few drawings of similar station buildings in Loco Revue and Voie Libre. Worth having a look in issues online at http://fr.1001mags.com/magazine/loco-revue  

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look. I'm still quite definitely a novice in terms of the French modelling scene as everything I've done up until now has more or less been exclusively British so links like this are invaluable.

Much appreciated.

When the plan is a little more developed, I will start a proper thread for it.

Nestor

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I think these are identical to the buildings on "your" Bedarieux - Mazamet line other than the roofing. Is it Olargues that has a nice cafe in the goods shed?

But there is no standard French station building. Many are very similar but each company had a very slightly different set of building details.

• RMweb Premium

Some references

Midi Infrastructure Electrical substation        Loco Revue Hors Série Chemin de Fer Réels 3    

Midi Infrastructure Catenary          Loco Revue 2000 February 22    

Midi Infrastructure Catenary         Loco Revue 2000 March 44    

Midi Infrastructure Catenary          Loco Revue 2000 Hors Série 5    

Midi Infrastructure Crossing keepers cottage - branch line Pyrennees          Loco Revue Hors Série 2000 2  

Midi Infrastructure Overhead hoist         Loco Revue 1987 January 23    

Midi Infrastructure Small loading dock          Loco Revue 1993 February 96    

Midi Infrastructure Ogive catenary         RMF 1969 October 413    

Midi Infrastructure Station Building 2 door plus goods shed         Loco Revue 2004 January 93    

Midi infrastructure third rail       Loco Revue 1948 June 191    

Midi infrastructure catenary        Loco Revue 2006 November 30    

Midi infrastructure Water tower        Voies Ferrées 1983 September 76    

Midi infrastructure buffer stops made by Eailway and Atelier Debelleyme RMF 2007 March 62    

Midi infrastructure Maison de PN        Loco Revue 2007 August 59 centrefold  

Midi infrastructure 2 track engine shed          Loco Revue 2008 August 38    

Midi infrastructure 2 track engine shed        Loco Revue 2008 September 38    

Midi infrastructure Water tower          Ferrovissime 2008 September 10    

Midi infrastructure water crane          Ferrovissime 2008 September 10    

Midi infrastructure small workshop          Ferrovissime 2008 September 10    

Midi infrastructure Water tower          Ferrovissime 2008 October 24    

Midi infrastructure train shed          Ferrovissime 2009 July 20    

Midi infrastructure Level crossings          Loco Revue 2011 September 50    

Midi infrastructure Bullhead track         Loco Revue 2012 April 54    

Midi infrastructure Crossing keepers cottage           Ferrovissime 2013 January 24    

Midi infrastructure Crossing keepers cottage           Ferrovissime 2013 September 60    

Edited because the forum software converts tables to a continuous string.

All of the above have drawings that should allow a model to be built.

Edited by Andy Hayter

• RMweb Gold

Some references

Midi Infrastructure Electrical substation        Loco Revue Hors Série Chemin de Fer Réels 3    

Midi Infrastructure Catenary          Loco Revue 2000 February 22    

Midi Infrastructure Catenary         Loco Revue 2000 March 44    

Midi Infrastructure Catenary          Loco Revue 2000 Hors Série 5    

Midi Infrastructure Crossing keepers cottage - branch line Pyrennees          Loco Revue Hors Série 2000 2

Midi Infrastructure Overhead hoist         Loco Revue 1987 January 23    

Midi Infrastructure Small loading dock          Loco Revue 1993 February 96    

Midi Infrastructure Ogive catenary         RMF 1969 October 413    

Midi Infrastructure Station Building 2 door plus goods shed         Loco Revue 2004 January 93    

Midi infrastructure third rail       Loco Revue 1948 June 191    

Midi infrastructure catenary        Loco Revue 2006 November 30    

Midi infrastructure Water tower        Voies Ferrées 1983 September 76    

Midi infrastructure buffer stops made by Eailway and Atelier Debelleyme RMF 2007 March 62    

Midi infrastructure Maison de PN        Loco Revue 2007 August 59 centrefold

Midi infrastructure 2 track engine shed          Loco Revue 2008 August 38    

Midi infrastructure 2 track engine shed        Loco Revue 2008 September 38    

Midi infrastructure Water tower          Ferrovissime 2008 September 10    

Midi infrastructure water crane          Ferrovissime 2008 September 10    

Midi infrastructure small workshop          Ferrovissime 2008 September 10    

Midi infrastructure Water tower          Ferrovissime 2008 October 24    

Midi infrastructure train shed          Ferrovissime 2009 July 20    

Midi infrastructure Level crossings          Loco Revue 2011 September 50    

Midi infrastructure Bullhead track         Loco Revue 2012 April 54    

Midi infrastructure Crossing keepers cottage           Ferrovissime 2013 January 24    

Midi infrastructure Crossing keepers cottage           Ferrovissime 2013 September 60    

Edited because the forum software converts tables to a continuous string.

All of the above have drawings that should allow a model to be built.

That's extremely helpful thankyou!

I'll take a look through.

Nestor

• RMweb Gold

One quite interesting feature (going slightly off topic) is the use of Bullhead rail. I wonder if the new Peco Code 75 bullhead would be appropriate for HO, perhaps with a little modification of the sleeper width?

Does anyone have experience of doing Bullhead in HO?

Nestor

• RMweb Gold

I imagine once detailed and placed within a scene it will look quite passable.

Until starting on this project, I had always assumed the French only used flat bottom rail.

Nestor

Something I have seen French modellers do is use code 100 for mainline and code 75 for sidings as it emphasises the lighter rail used in sidings. Not sure if most people would actually notice if it was bullhead or flat bottom. I feel it is going down the rivet counting path .

• RMweb Premium

No.  Going down the rivet counting route is when you say (and this applies to the PLM and possibly not the Midi) the track was laid in coupons each of 16 sleepers.  the spacing between the first and last two is reduced to support the rail joint to the next coupon and you do the same with the PECO sleepers.

• RMweb Gold

Something I have seen French modellers do is use code 100 for mainline and code 75 for sidings as it emphasises the lighter rail used in sidings. Not sure if most people would actually notice if it was bullhead or flat bottom. I feel it is going down the rivet counting path .

Ah, without wishing to open a huge can of worms, it is the sort of thing I would notice...

If the prototype had bullhead, it would be nice to model it with bullhead, atleast for me anyway. It is all personal preference of course! Plus, I am a self confessed rivet counter, on my own layouts at least....

Nestor

Edited by nest
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah, without wishing to open a huge can of worms, it is the sort of thing I would notice...

If the prototype had bullhead, it would be nice to model it with bullhead, atleast for me anyway. It is all personal preference of course! Plus, I am a self confessed rivet counter, on my own layouts at least....

Nestor

The line is still in bullhead throughout. It's an important part of its Midi character.

Some of my friends in AMHVA used to buy SMP bullhead track from me. Because it has thinner sleepers than Peco, it is easier to cut the sleepers about to represent the rather rough and ready nature of the French pine sleepers.

I'll see if I can touch base with a friend in Esperaza who had quite an extensive layout laid in modified SMP.

• Like 1