Atlas Code 55 N gauge track

Can I ask for confirmation that the Atlas Code 55 N gauge track is actually using code 55 rail, not the larger height rail that is used in Peco Code 55, which uses the extra thickness to act as a key into the sleepers, leaving 55 thou exposed?

I am buying some bargain Atlas for use on 009, the sleepers spacing makes no difference as the track is over ballasted, covered, or out of direct view. Joining to other track codes is easy for me to arrange.

My understanding is all modern flanges will run on it, as all NMRA compatible N gauge stock runs fine on Atlas setrack etc.

My 009 is all modern with the same flange sizes as US Stock. I can wait to test it will be alright, but the offer is limited and it might be worth getting more Asap.

Stephen.

Can I ask for confirmation that the Atlas Code 55 N gauge track is actually using code 55 rail, not the larger height rail that is used in Peco Code 55, which uses the extra thickness to act as a key into the sleepers, leaving 55 thou exposed?

I am buying some bargain Atlas for use on 009, the sleepers spacing makes no difference as the track is over ballasted, covered, or out of direct view. Joining to other track codes is easy for me to arrange.

My understanding is all modern flanges will run on it, as all NMRA compatible N gauge stock runs fine on Atlas setrack etc.

My 009 is all modern with the same flange sizes as US Stock. I can wait to test it will be alright, but the offer is limited and it might be worth getting more Asap.

Stephen.

Yes,

Atlas code 55 rail is a real 55 thou' high. The Peco N "55" is around 80 thou' high and it's hugely overscale profile (though hidden in plain track) is horribly visible when you look at pointwork.

I use FiNetrax code 40 track in visible areas with my UK steam N gauge stock (made since around 2005) and the wheel/flange profiles are fine with this close to scale track.

BTW I use the robust Peco and Fleischmann code 80 track in the hidden and fiddle areas.

• Like 1

Thanks, it confirms the details, which although in relation to 009 still applies, and like your layout the gathered up track has Peco and Fleischmann code 80.

I have very long experience of track etc, but did not want to get a surprise when it arrives!  The points are Peco live frog types and the layout will serve as a test track for N gauge as well as 009.

Stephen.