Customer behaviour

ianmacc

I visited a model shop local to me that I pop in to two or three times a month.

I bought a few used items at a decent price. I enquired about selling or exchanging my midland Pullman and was told they no longer buy used items.

It turns out the lady behind the counter was subject to sexism at best (go and get the manager) and threats/ aggression at worst from people bringing in stock for valuation.

I think it is a sad reflection on society.

• RMweb Premium

I bought a few used items at a decent price. I enquired about selling or exchanging my midland Pullman and was told they no longer buy used items.

It turns out the lady behind the counter was subject to sexism at best (go and get the manager) and threats/ aggression at worst from people bringing in stock for valuation.

I think that is a very wise move by the shop.

Unfortunately a similar story happened to my girlfriend working in the store, verbally abused and something thrown at her, worst part was he part of local club.

One quick chat with the chairman of said club and said person is no longer part of the club.

Sad to say it happens, people think by raising their voices and pointing they might get their own way. ( normally couple times a year ? )

We still buy pre-owned if it helps .....

Edited by AGR Model Store

Let’s face it, there are some morons in all quarters.

It works both ways. I walked into a model shop to hear the owner making a racist tirade on the phone to his mate.

He also was rude when I inquired where my 6 month ordered track accessories were . So - no more business for him, it’s a crowded market and you can be picky.

It appears his business now has much reduced trading hours. Serves him right .

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Sexist to request to see the manager???

Demanding to go get the manager is rude but hardly Sexist.

Many years ago I was working for a software company supporting a payroll application.

An obnoxious client 'phoned the support desk and didn't like the answer that the lady who answered his query gave him. He demanded to speak to her supervisor.

The 'phone was passed over to the team leader, also female, who had heard everything and confirmed that the information was correct. She received a mouthful of abuse and the caller demanded to speak to whoever was in charge.

This was one of the comapny's directors who, as it happened was also female. After the same assurances he finally blew a fuse and demanded to speak directly to the M.D..

To which the answer was: "I'm sorry, she's not based at this office, but if you ring our head office ..." For some reason the line went dead at that point.

• Like 19

Sadly I work with just that kind of person. According to him the whole reason the world's gone to pot is because there are so many women in charge of things, he had a woman boss once and never will again etc etc. We only have one female member of staff and he's nice as pie to her, if he sees her about on site he'll be the first to tell us lot to stop the swearing and joking as there are ladies present.   :rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium

Sadly I work with just that kind of person. According to him the whole reason the world's gone to pot is because there are so many women in charge of things

Hmmmm...... Theresa May?  I remember many years ago people had begun to suggest that if women were in charge the world would be a much more peaceful place.  In fact there were four women in charge of their countries then and each of them was at war.

DT

Sadly I work with just that kind of person. According to him the whole reason the world's gone to pot is because there are so many women in charge of things, he had a woman boss once and never will again etc etc. We only have one female member of staff and he's nice as pie to her, if he sees her about on site he'll be the first to tell us lot to stop the swearing and joking as there are ladies present.   :rolleyes:

Best boss I ever had was a woman

• Like 1

When I was working in a model shop another common approach was the  'I know what they are worth' and then they get offended with what you offer. 

I got tired of explaining how we worked out the price so basically just started telling them if thats what they wanted then sell it on e-bay

• RMweb Premium

Imagine negotiating a part-ex model train deal at D.J. Trump Model Rail Dealers - he's a guy, o all is well with the world 'Art of the Deal' etc.

I always make it a point when service has been excellent (waitstaff while at dinner, a helpful clerk, cashier etc) to find the manager right there and then and let them know.  It is amazing the look the manager gets when I ask "are you the manager?" and how it turns when I describe why the employee I'm discussing has made me a happy customer.  If it is so easy to make a complaint, why isn't as easy to give a compliment?

• Like 8

If you really want to see the general public at their best, talk to airline cabin crew .....what those guys and girls put up with is astonishing. I couldn't do it if I was offered double my money .

One of the girls years back said to me " most are OK but the bad ones are vile " , this just after having had been spat in the face.

I don't understand how normal rational people can turn into a###holes when talking to service industry staff .

On another note, my wife works in banking and can't stand women bosses , has no trouble with the male ones though ........maybe I should be worried...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If you really want to see the general public at their best, talk to airline cabin crew .....what those guys and girls put up with is astonishing. I couldn't do it if I was offered double my money .

One of the girls years back said to me " most are OK but the bad ones are vile " , this just after having had been spat in the face.

I don't understand how normal rational people can turn into a###holes when talking to service industry staff .

On another note, my wife works in banking and can't stand women bosses , has no trouble with the male ones though ........maybe I should be worried...

Hi Fozzy

Having worked as a nurse I know how nasty some people are.....did you know that a nurse is more likely to be assaulted than a police officer.

I always make it a point when service has been excellent (waitstaff while at dinner, a helpful clerk, cashier etc) to find the manager right there and then and let them know.  It is amazing the look the manager gets when I ask "are you the manager?" and how it turns when I describe why the employee I'm discussing has made me a happy customer.  If it is so easy to make a complaint, why isn't as easy to give a compliment?

After really good service I usually ask the manager/supervisor if they could please arrange for the member of staff to be praised at next team meeting review etc. "Enough to give them a nice warm feeling but not enough to spoil them." In the hope that the somewhat unusual/strange request will be remembered, so the praise is actually bestowed.

Edited by Trog
  • Like 5

I worked in libraries for about 20 years and early in my career encountered one of those- he insisted on waiting for ages to direct an enquiry to me, rather than my female colleague, on the basis that he'd rather talk to a man as it was a technical/scientific enquiry. The fact that not only had I'd been there about 3 weeks, while my colleague was much more senior and experienced than I was, but my educational background was purely arts/humanities, and her background was science/maths didn't seem to cut much ice with him....

Edited by Invicta
  • Like 1

Agree most airline cabin crew work very hard and awkward hours also. I've just returned from a holiday in Thailand, we flew with Emirates Manchester - Bangkok via Dubai. All flights were Airbus A380's - the big double decker, a lovely smooth & quiet plane to fly - but the cabin crew certainly have a lot of work to do on those, and on our four flights they worked very hard indeed. I always say "thank you, a nice flight" to them when disembarking. Not many others do.

A few years ago we were flying Qantas to Bangkok, the cabin lights came on over northern India, hostess with trolley asking "would you like champagne with your breakfast sir ?" - and that was in economy !! Definately worth a smile and a thank you.

As to women bosses, never had one myself, but worked with a few, some good, some bad (as were the males !!).

Brit15

• Like 2

Clive , well done mate for the nursing ....not something I could do .

My wife snapped her humerus clean in half a year or two ago and we spent 6 hours overnight at Royal London hospital casualty while she was sorted .......my god I've never seen anything like it ......how they retain staff I'll never know , it actually made me feel sad that society can be so shite .

NO ONE should have to work in those conditions...but thank God some decent people are able to.

I reckon I'd be in prison after one nightshift.

I'm on holiday right now , all inclusive, and some British people are just awful to the local staff who to be fair are really trying hard. I mean it's pretty poor when a 20 something stone man is screaming at a tiny local girl because his chips were cold ..... thankfully a few of us including his mortified wife told him to shut up .

I just can't understand it ...I was brought up better than that and hope I'm bringing my two up better .

Apollo ....your words of thanks DO matter to the cabin crew !

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

After twenty five years as a locomotive engineer I decided that the politics was too much like trouble so I now work semi retired as a self employed joiner.

Should I ever get an awkward customer I point and say, "There are the tools if you know better !".

It has also been known for me to quietly pack up my tools and walk calmly out to my van with them and drive off home. I was once challenged saying, "Don't worry there's no charge !"

Just because I am engaged for payment does not mean that people may be rude to me.

Gibbo.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'd say it was, as it assumes the person being spoken to couldn't possibly be the manager.

If it was a male behind the counter you would still be assuming that they weren’t the manager if you asked to ‘speak to the manager’

If the female employee said “I am the manager” and was then dismissed because they are female, then that’s sexist.  

Many years ago I was working for a software company supporting a payroll application.

An obnoxious client 'phoned the support desk and didn't like the answer that the lady who answered his query gave him. He demanded to speak to her supervisor.

The 'phone was passed over to the team leader, also female, who had heard everything and confirmed that the information was correct. She received a mouthful of abuse and the caller demanded to speak to whoever was in charge.

This was one of the comapny's directors who, as it happened was also female. After the same assurances he finally blew a fuse and demanded to speak directly to the M.D..

To which the answer was: "I'm sorry, she's not based at this office, but if you ring our head office ..." For some reason the line went dead at that point.

I don’t like what you are telling me so I want to speak to you supervisor etc etc, not Sexist. Even if it was all males, it still happens that people can’t accept what they are being told.

I don’t like what you are telling me, you obviously don’t know what you’re talking about because you’re a women so fetch me a man now!

That’s sexist. (Which I suspect was the case in the example above)

Just because an employee is female, asking to see/ speak to their boss isn’t being sexist.

Can’t wait for someone who is a different gender / race / religion / sexual orientation to me ask to see my boss, I’ll be straight on the phone to ‘~ism Lawyer R Us!” :D

No its a sad reflection on the sort of people that go into model shops "to do deals" - There are lots of wannabe business men in the model railway game; just go to any show and see how good they are with the stand full of endless recycled junk.

Its not at all sexist ( or any other type of buzz word ist) to ask for the gaffer, its a powerplay by the business man selling the junk (or hoping to)

• Like 2

No its a sad reflection on the sort of people that go into model shops "to do deals" - There are lots of wannabe business men in the model railway game; just go to any show and see how good they are with the stand full of endless recycled junk.

Its not at all sexist ( or any other type of buzz word ist) to ask for the gaffer, its a powerplay by the business man selling the junk (or hoping to)

I didn’t explain the context. This was patronising the female by assuming they couldn’t possibly own the shop as they were a young woman.