Aberllyn. 009 gauge on a 4' x 2' board.

Thanks! I can't afford to look that far ahead to pre order anything to be honest Paul, and i never have that much cash to spare at one time unless its been my birthday like it was the other week so i saved it up and then splashed it all out this weekend on much needed Garden rail stuff!  I'll try and save my xmas cash up and try get an Hunslet then if i can, they would look great, would be nice to have a couple running about, but it looks like i'll have to sit back and let the first lot go though, let others test them out and review them first to see if they are any good or worth it!  :jester: If not i could always try and build my own...pass the magnifier! :no: I would love the new Bachmann Baldwin but at around £150 each..i can't justify that to swmbo at all! :scared:  :O Thanks Keith give it another go and the darker evenings drawing in make for more modeling time but my swmbo do'snt like the sound of the lekky meter wizzing around with all the lights on all night...bloody Vampire!  :mosking:

Edited by Owd Bob

Nice to see the corporate garden railway colours transferred to the 009 layout. That diesel looks like a miniature version of your 16mm version too. I hope you've got a long list of things to do. Winter lasts a long time and you get through your projects quickly!  :mosking: 

• Thanks 1

Ah! Ian you know me so well :jester:  Trying to get some clear perspex type sheets boxed and framed around it this weekend coz i'm starting to damage bits of the scenery when i'm leaning over into it to do owt  :jester:  The corporate colours will change Ian, i prefer the Yellow most of those locos carry....with Wasp stripes on the buffers! :)  I'm beginning to get a back story for it now as well Ian, it's modelled on part of the 'Wigan Alps' and i'm mining for 'Piedonium' element 117 :derisive: To be used in the propulsion of the next generation mobility scooters around the town :D

• 3 weeks later...

Not a real amount of progress to report on this layout this week, some grass tufts were bought and stuck around, two 'N'' gauge wagons were bought cheaply enough ready to make something out of them one day, and a 'Pocketbond' Ford Prefect van was acquired. I made some slate style walling out of 2mm thick plastic card for the wagon drops area, cut into 4mm, 5mm and 6mm rough oblongs which were glued with plastic weld & sprayed with Grey etch primer and after being glued into place the wall was dry brushed highlighting the edges in White. Various amounts of real slate pieces were spread around, small piles of tiles were made using very thin card and plastic card.

post-31611-0-46983800-1537717670_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-03700100-1537717693_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-70849600-1537717725_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-04384300-1537717754_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-43089100-1537717781_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-14931600-1537717822_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-77526800-1537717854_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-93858300-1537717891_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-13983600-1537717932_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-70918600-1537717963_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• 3 months later...

Indeed, all it needs now is some life!
The pictures of your amazing scenic work are stunning, with that rocky "blue lagoon" and old working along the back using up the space perfectly. I've loved watching the layout's "journey" from barely anything to it's current state, so thanks for bringing us along!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

No further progress to report but its virtually 90% complete and ready to wire up so no rush, i am making a removable lid for it to keep the dust off, i'm hoping to put fake rivet and bolt heads on the framework over the wood screw heads and then paint it light Grey with rusty bits to look like an old slate wagons framework. Might make a nice Coffee' table.:rolleyes:

2019-02-01_13_24_54.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, TechnicArrow said:

An interesting framing idea, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. It'd certainly make an unusual coffee table layout! Any thoughts towards adding one or two figures, or even just a cat, to add a little life to the scene?

I'm hoping to use the figures that came free with the last issue of the BRM  mag'  ;)

Bob, and impressive rate of modelling and I've enjoyed catching up.

There is a consistent palette and naturalness to this.  The weathering is spot on, just as with the garden railway.  I particularly liked the treatment of the track, the smoke stains on the rock tunnel and the piping.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/02/2019 at 12:34, Edwardian said:

Bob, and impressive rate of modelling and I've enjoyed catching up.

There is a consistent palette and naturalness to this.  The weathering is spot on, just as with the garden railway.  I particularly liked the treatment of the track, the smoke stains on the rock tunnel and the piping.

Yes indeed Mr Edwardian. The "consistent palette" you mention, is something quite hard to achieve. Partly, I suspect, because it involves so many factors, from design, balance, colouring, weathering etc etc
looking at Owd Bob's photos again, there are nice touches in evidence everywhere. Glad I (eventually) spotted this thread :)

• Thanks 1

I thank you all for the kind words but i'm no artist, you read too much into my so called talents and it all comes together by happy accidents, the one main thing that i have done with this layout though is to use natural daylight, and on brighter warmer days most painting and gluing has been done outside.  I must admit i had to paint real slate pieces a lighter colour to blend in though! ;) Maybe i should re-name this layout  'Fifty Shades of Grey Emulsion paint test pots'  :rolleyes:

Edited by Owd Bob

23 minutes ago, Owd Bob said:

I thank you all for the kind words but i'm no artist, you read too much into my so called talents and it all comes together by happy accidents.......

must admit i had to paint real slate pieces a lighter colour to blend in though! ;) Maybe i should re-name this layout  'Fifty Shade of Grey Emulsion paint test pots'  :rolleyes:

Ah, you're far too modest Bob. You obviously have a natural eye for things, and don't even realise it :)

Re your last point - will there be any "interesting cameos"? lol

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, marc smith said:

Ah, you're far too modest Bob. You obviously have a natural eye for things, and don't even realise it :)

Re your last point - will there be any "interesting cameos"? lol

Some hikers might go off the beaten track .:whistle:

• Funny 1

What a fantastic layout! The rock faces and ground covering is superb, so realistic. Really impressive stuff. I love the fact it packs away so neatly too!

Edited by south_tyne
Terrible spelling....
  • Thanks 1