Aberllyn. 009 gauge on a 4' x 2' board.

Not a lot been done on this for a while so i bought a few Parkside van & wagon kits last week from the WHHR Shop and set about putting them together and painting them up, i'd forgot why i gave up on the small scales years ago but now i remember!  :rolleyes: Thankfully i don't need many more wagons or vans, if so RTR stuff will be bought in future. Also got some Bachmann  workmen figures to populate the layout. i'll finish the painting off when i get the air brush out to weather my 7mm stuff later this week. 

2019-04-15_11_46_30.jpg

• Like 9

• 8 months later...

Long time since i did owt on this layout, it took me ten minutes to find this topic again!:D I've been buying a few bits to build a suitable looking loco' and started with a cheaply found and bought 'N' gauge Fleischmann Piccolo chassis, ready made and detailed body parts came from another cheap find the old '00' Dapol L&Y pug. A plasticard chassis was built and now the body parts have roughly been added having had a few bits shaved off with the old Stanley blade. Hoping to get the old Airfix/Dapol L&Y Pug kit today to get the firebox and many other detailing parts from.;)

2020-01-07 15.13.07.jpg

2020-01-08 10.13.17.jpg

2020-01-08 10.13.58.jpg

2020-01-08 10.14.42.jpg

2020-01-08 10.16.08.jpg

2020-01-08 10.16.18.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

Thanks Daniel, and don't fight the urges. :D I managed to add a few bits to the Pug body and primed it up over the weekend, with a bit of a rub down and a clean up i should have it all done and painted up in matt Black with Red buffs by late this afternoon.

2020-01-12_11_47_03.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Bob, I've just had a catch up.  Your work in 4mm is as well-observed and subtly and naturalistically rendered as your garden railway.  I joy to pore over.

On 08/01/2020 at 10:47, Owd Bob said:

Long time since i did owt on this layout, it took me ten minutes to find this topic again!:D 

Classic!

On 08/01/2020 at 10:47, Owd Bob said:

I've been buying a few bits to build a suitable looking loco' and started with a cheaply found and bought 'N' gauge Fleischmann Piccolo chassis, ready made and detailed body parts came from another cheap find the old '00' Dapol L&Y pug. A plasticard chassis was built and now the body parts have roughly been added having had a few bits shaved off with the old Stanley blade. Hoping to get the old Airfix/Dapol L&Y Pug kit today to get the firebox and many other detailing parts from.;)

2020-01-07 15.13.07.jpg

2020-01-08 10.13.17.jpg

2020-01-08 10.13.58.jpg

2020-01-08 10.14.42.jpg

2020-01-08 10.16.08.jpg

2020-01-08 10.16.18.jpg

I do love a good pug-bash; they are invariably a source of pure joy, and I particularly like 009 ones.  Yours is looking great.

Look forward to seeing it finished and in action. 

• Thanks 1

A few quick pics' but bad light on the layout today in the spare room but i did my best with the big light on:D Sprayed it up in a car exhaust heat paint matt Black, with Humbrol signal Red buff beams, but the Black reacted with the primer and gave the paint work a crackle effect, which i've come to like and gives it a well worn look. All was wafted lightly over with the air brush using my own dirty diesel under-frame Black/Brown mix. Needs a few extras sticking on like a driver and the name plates are on  order. ....it'll be yet another of my loco' builds named 'Warrior' :rolleyes: Just noticed that the kneeling Bachmann figure has Green hair!:D

2020-01-17 11.27.55.jpg

2020-01-17 11.31.27.jpg

2020-01-17_11_32_44.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks folks i've been a bit stuck with doing anything more with this layout as i usually like to take it outside on dry days to do any weathering or scenic detailing in the natural light, i'm not able to carry it down stairs and outside at the mo' so its stored in the spare bedroom until i can. I have been promised another free Dapol Pug body soon to bash about and i'm already making a plasticard chassis for it, so it'll be a bit like Pauls above with a drop down footplate and lower cab etc. I won't give up on it as i'm still waiting for Bachmans 009 stuff to come out:rolleyes::lol: I'm off to a local 009 show in a few weeks and i'm where i am hoping to buy a few things for it.:)

• Like 2

Another loco' body build has been started using the cab parts from a Dapol Pug kit and an old Triang/Hornby side tank body shell. They are both plastic weld glued onto an home made plasticard under frame. I've used the same Fleischmann 0-4-0 Piccolo chassis i already have to base/build it on. On this loco' build the footplate has been stepped down, and the Pug cab kit added. The cab windows have been drilled out slightly bigger to 5mm in Diam' The old Triang body was carefully cut shorter as it had gone quite brittle with age with a Stanley knife blade, the molded handrails and the mold lines were also removed by Stanley blade and they were first sanded down with 800 grade grit papers and then i finished using 1200 grade grit paper.

To balance it out when the newly built body shell is fitted onto the Fleischmann chassis a 6mm. threaded nut was secured tightly inside the smoke box right under the chimney by using car filler. Hopefully i should be picking up some more bits and pieces this week, and i hope to have a lot more done and get it detailed up and then primed up over the weekend.

2020-02-04 18.10.53.jpg

2020-02-05 16.17.20.jpg

2020-02-05 16.16.56.jpg

2020-02-05 16.17.51.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Another Dapol pug body was given to me yesterday by a good friend, so last evening was spent cutting bits off it and adding them to the recent Red loco' body bodge job. I gave it a waft over with a car spray can primer this morning. I'm just short of a handrail for above the smoke box door which i'll sort out and put on, i'll then give it a tidy up and rub down in a few places before its final colour coat is added.;)

2020-02-09_12_45_03.jpg

2020-02-09_13_54_49.jpg

2020-02-09_13_55_13.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Edwardian! Next time i order a nameplate one will be 'Little Nell' ;) I gave 'Nell' a coat of Aldis own spray can dark Green and a spray over with the air brush of my usual dirt mix. I'm not sure about making any more locos just yet or adding any finer details to the two i now have as i'll probably be giving my eyes and fingers a chance to recover from what is for me a struggle in stuff this small.:rolleyes: My own fault as i do soon forget and get carried away with just doing stuff.:whistle:

2020-02-13 10.38.03.jpg

2020-02-13 10.38.32.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 1 month later...

With a lovely day beckoning i thought it would be the ideal time whilst the warmth lasted to at last get the 009 layout back outside in the natural light to finish off a few jobs i'd started several months ago, the main things were to air brush out the smudged shaky hand painted rusted rail effects, and also finish off the slate faces around the exposed old workings which needed highlighting by dry brushing with white tester pot matt emulsion. A milky Slate grey mix was made up using Humbrol Matt grey paints No;s 106 & 79 in a 50/50 mix of each which was wafted on lightly over the rusty track sides, i also sprayed over most of the roofs on the buildings, water tank and 'V' skip wagons. With plenty of grey paint left still in the gun, it was used up by wafting over the two planked wagons and the two loco's. 

Here' some before and after pics' 

DSC09062 (2).JPG

DSC09063 (2).JPG

DSC09064 (2).JPG

DSC09095 (2).JPG

DSC09092.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Thanks for the kind words.:blush:  Just a few more pics' i had left over from yesterdays outdoor painting session, i'm just showing the general size and the layout. It's a very lightweight layout made from inch square batten framework, 4mm thick ply, cornflake packet cardboard, it's mostly made up of the skip found piece of dense foam wall insulation which i used to form all the slate/rocks which weighs nothing at all. There's not a lot left to do now, and as you can see with both my layouts on RMweb progress is slow but steady....Hebrews chapter 6 verse 19. It's unbelievable what you remember from childhood :D

DSC09094.JPG

DSC09074 (2).JPG

DSC09072 (2).JPG

DSC09098.JPG

Edited by Owd Bob
spelling put right.
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5