Aberllyn. 009 gauge on a 4' x 2' board.

14 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

DSC09092.JPG

Talking of childhood memories, the lovely colour of the water in that pond takes me back to summer days over 50 years ago to when my friends and I used to go net fishing for newts and sticklebacks in the lovely cool waters in the ponds behind the old quarry behind our houses - all gone now, covered in landfill...

This is an absolutely lovely piece of modelling Bob, really very atmospheric - cracking stuff!

Keith

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Keith, they have also (Just several weeks ago) filled in my local childhood fishing ponds on the fields here not far from me, where we would catch the tadpoles and sticklebacks and put them in jam jars:lol:......and where we also played 'Army' with chair legs for guns, dig trenches and light camp fires, all soon to be gone for more housing on land you would never ever expect to be built on. :rolleyes:  At least they had the wildlife folks set up nets and traps,and also they went out with buckets daily for about three months and caught most of the Newts and Frogs etc.

Weird to think i'm nearing 60 and i'm still stuck in the same £$&%* place.:lol: Thank God for being able to escape into the modelling now and again. Stay Safe folks. :drinks::friends:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely fantastic modelling, pure brilliance.

Photographing in natural light really brings it to life. What a great piece of modelling.

All the best

Mark

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Bob, hope you don't mind but I looked up this thread after reading your updates on the diesel depot.  This is obviously a very different type of layout, so hard to compare them, but this really is excellent: I think it's some of the most realistic slate / rock modelling I can recall ever seeing (and by all accounts it didn't take you long, looking at the dates on the thread). 

I've only ever had a very brief foray into Narrow Gauge modelling myself, but it's something I suspect many of us interested in micro-layouts have a soft spot for - be great to see more.

Keith.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Keith, it's something i like a bit more than my diesels, and it's smaller and lighter to move around. I've seen better it's not that good compared to some others of the same slate theme, I'm keeping this and taking it to shows and displays one day i hope, i'm still looking forward and waiting for the Bachmann Hunslets and the ex' RN diesels to come out. Hoping to get it out soon on a dry day and give it a waft over or wash in places with a bit of purple, and i'll take some pics' when i do. :)  Nothing takes me long, i've a Thyroid prob' that they just can't put right despite all the tabs' i have to take!:lol:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/07/2020 at 14:09, Owd Bob said:

Thanks Keith, it's something i like a bit more than my diesels, and it's smaller and lighter to move around. I've seen better it's not that good compared to some others of the same slate theme, I'm keeping this and taking it to shows and displays one day i hope, i'm still looking forward and waiting for the Bachmann Hunslets and the ex' RN diesels to come out. Hoping to get it out soon on a dry day and give it a waft over or wash in places with a bit of purple, and i'll take some pics' when i do. :)  Nothing takes me long, i've a Thyroid prob' that they just can't put right despite all the tabs' i have to take!:lol:

Hi Bob.  I had another look at some pictures of slate and I see why you want to add a purple wash - I’m actually a little bit colour blind, so until you pointed it out I’d no way of realising.  I still think the look of the texture, shape and quality of your scenery passes all the tests.

Being a little bit colour blind is not a big problem - though I try to get a second opinion when choosing paint colours!  (On the upside, being slightly out doesn’t worry me).  Wasn’t so good the day I dropped a paintbrush covered in enamel paint on a carpet - I thought the mark didn’t show.  I was wrong :).

• Friendly/supportive 1

I had it right with the purple streaks and darkers layers in the slate, then when i air brushed the track and other bits a few months back it hid it all, i should have masked it off! i've spilt paint and super glued the bed sheets together many a time whilst recovering from illnesses and operations by doing some tea tray modelling in bed.:lol:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 9 months later...
On 13/02/2020 at 11:58, Owd Bob said:

Edwardian! Next time i order a nameplate one will be 'Little Nell' ;) I gave 'Nell' a coat of Aldis own spray can dark Green and a spray over with the air brush of my usual dirt mix. I'm not sure about making any more locos just yet or adding any finer details to the two i now have as i'll probably be giving my eyes and fingers a chance to recover from what is for me a struggle in stuff this small.:rolleyes: My own fault as i do soon forget and get carried away with just doing stuff.:whistle:

2020-02-13 10.38.03.jpg

2020-02-13 10.38.32.jpg

Late to this party (remember social gatherings?) but this little loco is lovely. It’s almost as if Hudswell Clarke made the Lough Swilly a shunter out of spares from the big tanks ! 

7C8E3D12-36A8-4F31-A0E5-741ECFA15C52.jpeg

• Like 1