I have been working on an LNWR Experimental Mogul - two variations in fact. One was based on the LNWR Improved Precedent 2-4-0 and another was based on the LNWR G2 Class.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/127699-lnwr-experimental-mogul/

The basis of the engines I saw at Shildon:

post-32006-0-73583900-1533741867_thumb.jpg

post-32006-0-01281700-1533741940_thumb.jpg

The model of the Mk I Mogul:

post-32006-0-13804000-1533742050_thumb.jpg

It started out as an old Tri-ang B12 body which was later broken and cut about. A tall chimney was then added on and so were LNWR-esque fittings. The windows were filled up with Milliput and then cut out to make rounded ones. Stylish glazing was then added in as well as detailing in the cab, a Pre-Grouping safety valve complete with whistle mounted on top of the cab and handrails on either side of the boiler as finishing items. It looked like a stretched version of an Improved Precedent but as an experimental mixed-traffic locomotive from the 1890s (the time period I have chosen to model). Plasticard and Milliput as filler were used to create the boxed sides of the cab and splasher.

Some bits were cut off, filed away and added on (the tall chimney, the large splashers made from Plasticard and the safety valve) and with help from a friend of mine who is also a model railway dealer, the locomotive began gradually moving on step by step. Other projects of mine included a GWR 7100 Class 2-6-4T (still in progress) and a British Rail Class 19 Bo-Bo diesel locomotive (in development).

The tender came directly from Bachmann as a spare from a G2A (an LNWR tender) which fit the locomotive perfectly appropriately. Because the loco body was an old tooling, the modern Hornby chassis for said-tooling of locomotive fit very well despite the crack at the back which was then filled in. The footsteps weren't actually added onto until later. In accordance with the original photoshop image that an Australian fella kindly did when I first mentioned the possiblity of an LNWR Mogul (which I am still eternally grateful) and that set the wheels in motion for this project.

As for the livery, I actually did consider the LNWR lined blackberry livery, but instead later changed my mind in favour of the LMS Crimson livery. The first choice (and accurate one) was Crimson Lake that was appropriate for the locomotive, but made it look too dark and purple-ish, so after looking at various preserved steam locomotives (mostly the LMS Hughes Crab), I opted for BR Crimson instead and it looks better than before. The LMS lettering was applied to the tender and the number I chose for it was 1991 (the year I was born) and like Chesney Hawkes, it was The One and Only.

The locomotive, No. 1991, was built in 1891 at Crewe Works using an extended version of Webb's Improved Precedent Class, but as a 2-6-0 Mogul. The main purpose of it was for mixed-traffic mainline duties and, on its first day of service, not only met expectations, but surpassed them greatly. 89 more were built between 1892 to 1902 most likely because of its popularity with crews and and enthusiasts, earning it the nickname 'Big Mike' as opposed to the 2-4-0 'Jumbos'. A handful of them worked along the Northampton to Birmingham lines while the rest were allocated to various parts of LNWR metals, except for Cumbria. Plans to build more locomotives of this class were considered but unfortunately fell through owing much to Webb's retirement and George Whale's succession in 1903. In 1923, the newly-established LMS railway company acquired a handful of these locomotives. Withdrawals finally took place until 1933 and continued until 1936. Fortunately, No. 1991, the class leader, survived into preservation and can be seen in its LMS crimson lake livery. Recently, in mid-to-late 2017, the locomotive was overhauled in time to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the End of the First World War and to work on heritage lines in the UK.

And now, the Mk II version:

post-32006-0-09762000-1533742162_thumb.jpg

It was made from a Bachmann G2A 0-8-0 but altered and rebuilt as a 2-6-0 with modifications. The front drive wheels were removed and altered in place of the pony truck. Larger splashers were buts of arch-shaped plasticard stuck on to imitate large wheels and toolboxes were added onto the front. It took some time but I am quite happy with the results. I went for the early 1920s LMS livery (LMS crimson lake like with the original as the LNWR lining would be challenging and hard to come by, plus expensive to come across) with the crest on the cabsides and the number on the tender (I chose 16591 was happens to be my birthday).

After the First World War, the railway companies at the time were struggling to re-adjust to life and continue as normal, but with the Great Depression, more and more jobs on the railway would increase as would passengers and freight. On both branchlines and the mainline, this traffic also increased and a need for a locomotive of such sort would be required. Charles Bowen-Cooke of the LNWR would find a solution in the form of his G2 Class 0-8-0 locomotives and by altering them into a 2-6-0 arrangement but still keeping the same wheel-base which made them capable of handling tight curves and express points. The G2X as it became known would be mainly used on branchline routes but would also work on the mainline. The LNWR had previously experimented with the 2-6-0 arrangement before and the G2X would replace the aging Experimental Moguls from the 1890s. A handful of these engines were first ordered from the LNWR Crewe Works. The engines lasted throughout the Second World War and long after nationalisation in 1948 before finally being withdrawn in 1956. Fortunately, No. 16591 has survived into preservation and currently works on heritage lines throughout the UK.

One day, I'll get both these locomotives together and do a comparison photo on it.

And there you have it - that's how the models came to be. What is next for me, I wonder? Like I said, I don't normally look at all my models and say, "Yes, that's it, I'm satisfied." I just want to go onto the next thing.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...