Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Shed or outbuilding - 30ft x 10ft - seeking a builder

Hello

I live in Hertfordshire

Am moving house to find a house big enough to build a 30ft x 10ft shed/outbuilding.

All the 'off the peg' firms I've found so far seem to stop at about 20ft long.

Any ideas of how to source such a big shed/outbuilding?

Paul

We were looking for something similar a couple of years ago, for an idea the wife had, since discounted.

If you can find a firm that manufactures sectional buildings they should be able to tailor something to your requirements.

A true sectional building is just that, many coming in roughly 6' sections and should be able to be added to almost at will.

Otherwise there is the portakabin type building, you can get them second hand, although I believe they may require planning permission?

Edit: Our previous clubroom was that type. Originally a portable classroom it measured roughly 60'x30' but all in 6' sections so could be made any size. The same type of building used to be used as lineside huts certainly in Lincolnshire, there's still a semi derelict one at Grantham.

Further edit: Depending how much money you have to spend and whether you need or can get planning permission, you could build it traditionally. I had a garage built at the bottom of our garden about 20 years ago. Found a friendly builder, courtesy of a work contact. I supplied all the materials and he put it together. Building materials are surprisingly cheap, it's the mark up applied by building firms as well as labour costs makes such things seem so expensive. From memory I'd been quoted something like £20k+, it cost me less than £10k. It's roughly 30'x20'

Edited by great central

• RMweb Premium

Hello

I live in Hertfordshire

Am moving house to find a house big enough to build a 30ft x 10ft shed/outbuilding.

All the 'off the peg' firms I've found so far seem to stop at about 20ft long.

Any ideas of how to source such a big shed/outbuilding?

Paul

I've got one of these. 20' x 12' which is the max length off the shelf but they will supply anything you want:

https://www.malverngardenbuildings.co.uk/the-hallow

Keith

It will be interesting to see the "prices" for a shed of the size you want. I suspect eye-watering will be one term that springs to mind!!

As a starter, my friend's son built himself a summer house or  "garden cabin" of approx. 24 x12' for about £3000

• RMweb Premium

About 5 years ago I used Keops for a wooden building at work. This was not an off the shelf unit but was an extended and modified version. No issues at all with doing this and it was not a case of paying through the nose either.

• RMweb Gold

As a comparison to the shed manufacturers try asking a local Carpenter to quote, give him the spec the shed companies will build to and see what the difference is. At a guess it should be at least a third less, possibly half (going from experience)

When I was looking for a 15 x 12ft wooden workshop about 10-years ago, I couldn't find any ready-made building anywhere in the South of England that had sufficient interior height at the eaves. I wanted a height of at least 6ft. The other thing I noticed was that all offerings were built to the minimum specification the manufacturers could get away with.

However, I came across one small builder who built his workshops "like a tank" compared to all the others. Even he built the workshops too low for my needs, but he was prepared to build a "Special" for me and to my EXACT SPECIFICATION, deliver and erect it at my home which was some 120 miles distant. The company was Noahs Workshop based in New Milton, although he has now expanded and moved to the Bournemouth area and trades at Plowmans Garden Centre in Ferndown.

Floor thickness is often insufficient, so either get the supplier to provide a thicker floor or be prepared to ADD an additional floor of 25mm thick to the inside. This needs to be taken into account PLUS any insulated roof lining you plan to install when working out your required interior height at the eaves (lowest part of the building).

The roof thickness is also nearly always made of a fairly thin OSB material. My advice would be to reject this and get a proper PLYWOOD roof at least 25mm thick specified (and roof supports upgraded to suit). Roof covering is VERY IMPORTANT, most suppliers just fitting some form of roofing felt which can vary considerably in thickness and quality of membrane. The worst/lowest quality may only last a couple of seasons before needing replacement and the best quality anything up to 7-8 years. My workshops covering lasted 8-years before getting ripped off during a winter storm and the interior getting soaked ~ not ideal for a model railway room!

My answer to this was to repair the roof with good quality felt and ADD a coloured aluminium roof (as used on farm-type buildings) ON TOP of this (with a 25mm gap between the two) and fit gutters to deal with drainage into water-butts.

In your case, with a much larger shed, I would add this metal roof IMMEDIATELY after delivery and you will save yourself a lot of grief in later years, and give confidence that your model railway will remain dry whatever the weather throws in your direction.

I had my shed supplied with a lining paper fitted and then added my own Cellotex insulation in various thickness, and covered with 12mm plywood to all sections (roof and wall). I then used plastic surface trunking to run all electrics and fit standard 5ft long fluorescent lights. So there is a lot of work to do after the basic structure is delivered and erected.

The other thing to worry about is to get a solid concrete base installed and have this well above any ground level to ensure that any future flooding of your garden can't find its way into your new workshop. It may also be advisable to ADD 75mm or 100mm square bearers laid on top of this concrete base before the shed floor is laid on that.

I hope these notes are helpful to you.

• RMweb Premium

My shed, somewhat smaller than yours, is now 10 years old (and ready for another repaint). It was supplied, erected (on brick pillars), insulated (50mm) and plastered by Phoenix Timber Buildings in Farnham. I paid extra for decorative roof 'tiles', which are heavy duty mineral felt laid overlapping like traditional tiles. They have survived well, so far. I did the wiring myself (lots of double sockets and plastic trunking) plus flourescents and a garage circuit breaker, and dug the trench for armoured cable to the house. I paid an electrician to inspect my wiring and make the final connection, and supply a certificate. The total was about £9,000 which I feel was well spent.

Before re-filling the trench after inspection, I added a couple of CAT5 cables so I have Internet available too.

Planning permission should not be necessary providing it is at least 1m from any boundary, is less than half the size of the garden, and it does not exceed a maximum height, unless other rules apply, such as National Parks or listed buildings.

shed.jpg.74fb41f9be0b33d1a4192ec805d8b974.jpg

Edited by Ian Morgan
re-loaded image
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

When I was looking for a 15 x 12ft wooden workshop about 10-years ago, I couldn't find any ready-made building anywhere in the South of England that had sufficient interior height at the eaves. I wanted a height of at least 6ft. The other thing I noticed was that all offerings were built to the minimum specification the manufacturers could get away with.

My Malvern building mentioned above (they sell, advertise, deliver & install Nationwide) has two layers of floor with insulation between, two layers of wall with insulation between, likewise the roof.

It comes as standard with a felt roof but I had option cedar shingles, which go on top. Oh and it's at least 7' at the eaves. All the glass is double glazed

I bought it in January 2009.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Before re-filling the trench after inspection, I added a couple of CAT5 cables so I have Internet available too.

I tried Wi-Fi to my Garden Room but at 75' or so from the router it was no go.

I tried Home Plugs and found, although they are on two different circuits, including different RCDs etc. the signal was excellent.

I get about 60-70% of the speed that I get at the router.

Keith

Ten years ago I had local shed company build and erect a 28’ x 12’ shed, extra height eves at 7’, the roof was supported by roofing trusses rather than a large central beam. Heavy duty felt, double doors and windows down one side, total cost £2,700. At the time I could not even buy the wood for that to build myself. I installed the electrics, insulated and lined the walls, this year I refelted the roof, it is still doing stirling service as my workshop.

Martin

Edited by Greengiant
  • Like 4

A bit left field but, 30ft shipping container should cost under £3k. It will need a base with leccy supply and well insulating to cut out condensation, add some ex factory upvc windows and neutral colours to keep the neighbours happy and there you are. Well probably, biggest issue could be delivery access. I've just searched and you can get a ready to go office container 32ftx10ft for under £12k incl VAT .

I know a chap who bought a second hand Porta Cabin, when it arrived it had come off a Golf Course and was carpeted, full lighting and power sockets and blinds in the windows, just like an office. I believe it was also cheaper than a shed, but needed a crane to deliver and locate it.

I moved to Danbury (Essex) just over 2 years ago, initially the idea was for my railway to be in a shed outside. We have inherited a shed built by Poulton Portables https://www.poultons.co.uk/ which is quite old but in excellent condition. So I enquired about a bespoke shed and was given a quote for not only the shed but insulation decent door and windows etc. As it happened we decided to increase the size of the extension we were planning to include a railway room

This company makes their own sheds and despite the age of my shed were able to supply me with a few spares enabling me to renovate it. They also offer an installation service, might be worth a call

As someone in possession of a 30 by 10 space (actually 6" wider but let's not quibble) I may authoritatively reveal that an extra two feet on each dimension would make all the difference.

In more serious vein, if you have a good idea of the track plan then getting the layout structure built (and anything else like a work bench) as part of the construction project is potentially a major timesaver.