2 hours ago, Killian keane said:

this took some head scratching

2019-11-01-15-52-46.png

Looking good there. It does need a flat on the side that can be drilled to take a steam pipe, as seen here on COUNTESS. Or probably better still, have the flange with bolts so the pipe can be fitted into the flange.

Countess.png.e653fae4d6a5019fa91466a6de78c61c.png

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 4

The plan for the E.B. Wilson/Manning Wardle/Castle Mill "Lord Ward" 0-4-0 so far.

Pantograph-milled parts:

Frames

Rods

Motion Bracket

Slide Bars

Running Plate

Buffer Beams

Weatherboard

Side Sheets

Smokebox

Boiler Backhead

Tender Frames

Tender bodywork

Splashers

Milled and/or turned brass parts.

Cylinders

Sand Boxes

Tender Toolbox

3D-Printed parts:

Chimney

Steam Dome

Small Dome

Proprietary parts:

High Level Gearbox

Cheap Chinese 10/15 Motor

Loco Wheels - Alan Gibson 3ft. 8in, Barclay wheels? (too small) Pantograph-milled wheels with Alan Gibson steel tyres (4ft.)?

Tender Wheels?

Detail parts:

Think of that later.

Front of boiler full of lead. Leading axle of tender- wheels turn but bear no weight. Weight of tender is transferred to loco?

I'm no engineer, but I do know there is a way of incorporating a cantilever into the drawbar.

I also know Shapeways now offers brass and bronze printing, but it seems Shapeways took Brexit as an opportunity to flip England off.   I'd wager brass printing would be cost prohibitive for the chimney & domes.

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

it seems Shapeways took Brexit as an opportunity to flip England off.

I’d better move to Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland, then...

• Funny 1

I bought 5 L&Y wagon kits, from Barry O, just over a week ago. All L&Y, two half-box wagons, one single plank wagon, one van and one motor car van. They're all from a manufacturer that I have never heard of before. The first one to be built and finished is this 10ft. 6in. wheelbase half-box wagon. The instructions and packaging don't say exactly which diagram it's meant to be and I can't find any in Noel Coates' book with that curved brake lever but it's still made up into a nice model. They're obviously intended for LMS modellers as there was an LMS plate moulded on the solebar, which had to be filed off. There was also a moulded plate for the load instructions on the side, which I also filed off and replaced with a transfer.

1234280813_LYhalfbox-003.jpg.bfbe4a46b9990f300ccb9141df95e50f.jpg

I didn't use the one-piece plastic axle guards, axle boxes and springs; these were replaced by 51L Models etched and cast whitemetal parts. The tie bar I added myself and is just a length of brass wire.

This is the box of the next one in works. I guess they are no longer available?

maj.jpg.546968c98433fa2b482432abbe17e05c.jpg

• Like 6

Always interesting to see a vanished kit name, especially injectors.   I suppose the question is whether the kit is reasonable?

Also, is the L&Y half-box meant to be plywood?   I hadn't thought plywood was used until wartime austerity?

5 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

Always interesting to see a vanished kit name, especially injectors.   I suppose the question is whether the kit is reasonable?

Also, is the L&Y half-box meant to be plywood?   I hadn't thought plywood was used until wartime austerity?

No, it's not meant to be plywood. There are planks on the model but, oddly, the plank lines are raised.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ruston said:

There are planks on the model but, oddly, the plank lines are raised.

A common fault on the MAJ kits.  They etched/milled the plank lines into the mould rather than etch the planks themselves hence the 'back to front' appearance.

• Agree 2

I built quite a few of these in the 1970's and they make up into nice wagons and vans despite the raised "groove" planking. They came with a nice chassis sprue which was common to all their L & Y wagon kits and had correct L & Y brake gear on and two different chassis lengths, in fact two complete chassis. Colin Ashby produced some other L & Y bodies to fit on the MAJ chassis which nicely used up the spares from the kits and I purchased quite a few only for MAJ to close down before I had enough spare chassis. These bodies still languish in a drawer as I discovered them whilst moving home last year! If I remember correctly there was a Double end door wagon,as in the OP, a lower sided wagon, the motor car van, and van with a roof door, all of which I still have, built, in one of my boxes of 4 mm. scale kits. My build of the roof door wagon even netted me a trophy for goods vehicles at the Nottingham Exhibition in 1982. They always added interest in a train as they were longer wheelbase than most other railway companies standard vehicles and so broke up the uniformity. 

I really must get round to cataloguing my 4 mm. stuff as the house move brought to my attention just how much I have, how did I manage to amass over 250 wagons? 

Phil T.       

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Like 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Now annoyed and bemused. Thought I would take some photo's of said models and can't find the box with my LMS liveried vans in, all other boxes are there, were all packed together for my house move and I brought all my rolling stock over myself when I saw how the removal men were packing the van. Stored for a while at my daughters in Beddgelert, Hope there is still a box I missed in her attic. Dohh.

Phil T.

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 07/11/2019 at 14:42, Phil Traxson said:

I built quite a few of these in the 1970's and they make up into nice wagons and vans despite the raised "groove" planking. They came with a nice chassis sprue which was common to all their L & Y wagon kits and had correct L & Y brake gear on and two different chassis lengths, in fact two complete chassis. Colin Ashby produced some other L & Y bodies to fit on the MAJ chassis which nicely used up the spares from the kits and I purchased quite a few only for MAJ to close down before I had enough spare chassis. These bodies still languish in a drawer as I discovered them whilst moving home last year! If I remember correctly there was a Double end door wagon,as in the OP, a lower sided wagon, the motor car van, and van with a roof door, all of which I still have, built, in one of my boxes of 4 mm. scale kits. My build of the roof door wagon even netted me a trophy for goods vehicles at the Nottingham Exhibition in 1982. They always added interest in a train as they were longer wheelbase than most other railway companies standard vehicles and so broke up the uniformity. 

I really must get round to cataloguing my 4 mm. stuff as the house move brought to my attention just how much I have, how did I manage to amass over 250 wagons? 

Phil T.       

They breed  ;)

Edited by laurenceb
extraneous word

On 08/11/2019 at 18:36, Ruston said:

I have made some of the patterns for the Lord Ward type 0-4-0.

lordwardpatterns-002.jpg.169e31b3e43060ee2fe2f0acfcdafa1a.jpg

Are you sure that there is a section of frame between the horns, after hours of looking at photos of these and what other builders did at the period I am kind of convinced that they did not.

26 minutes ago, Beatty 139 said:

Are you sure that there is a section of frame between the horns, after hours of looking at photos of these and what other builders did at the period I am kind of convinced that they did not.

In all but one photo (the last one I posted on this page) the rods are down, with the crank pins in the six-o-clock position, so it's difficult to see whether or not there was a part of the frame behind the rods. I'm leaving it in because if it's not there the frame plate, at the point where it's slotted for the motion bracket, is less than a millimetre deep and it will surely bend or break without it.

2 hours ago, Ruston said:

In all but one photo (the last one I posted on this page) the rods are down, with the crank pins in the six-o-clock position, so it's difficult to see whether or not there was a part of the frame behind the rods. I'm leaving it in because if it's not there the frame plate, at the point where it's slotted for the motion bracket, is less than a millimetre deep and it will surely bend or break without it.

Yes the whole thing is quite light in construction at that point the from what I can see the stretcher and motion plate all are one which would have no doubt help the whole loco, I do wish that lad wasn’t posed there in that photo to give a clue as to what was going on around the mounting of the cylinders and the front end.

Edited by Beatty 139

13 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Dave, any further thoughts on the wheels we talked about last Saturday morning?

Hi Mick. At the moment I'm going to fit some Romford-style wheels that have plastic centres. I'll get it running on those first and then I'll see about making some like we spoke about.

I'll be taking a break from building the Lord Ward to work on milling the frames for something else but the postie hasn't delivered a vital component yet.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Armchair Modeller said:

How about this one

Pensnett-roakloco.jpg.dde2765d9ad5b25251c5d3f7a72cbc43.jpg

This image has caught my eye before because of the wheels, sadly you can’t read the name it could be Wellington 176 of 1865 or Himley 7 of 1859 as all the others are photographed and have what I think are backwards T spoked wheels, I don’t think they are H spoke having studied the various images. The rebuild of Victory has T spoke wheels and does the other 0-4-2 reputedly rebuild from Round Oak which I can’t find any reference too or Lord Ward which is another lost in a vail of mystery.

i don’t think it is Himley as Brandon and Countess also of 1859 both have good clear images with T spoke wheels 

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

This is what I've been waiting all week for the postie to deliver. It's a 3D-print of Lady Of The Lakes, as designed and printed by Turbosnail (Tom) of this parish. I'll be making two milled brass chassis, one for me and one for Tom.

That is a beautifully smooth print. Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Agree 4