2 hours ago, Barry O said:

you can.. just..

Without a decoder on board there is no means of controlling, or even switching off, the 14-16v AC that is always live at the rails. If the motor doesn't burn out first, the engine would run away and smash uncontrollably into something.

3 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Set the dcc to address 0.

Bas

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick, Baz. The locos that I'm talking about can't run on Charlies Yard, and won't be able to run any longer on the CVMR, because they don't have decoders to set to 0, or anything else. They'll just burn out or run away. They're just shelf ornaments now, because I can't get decoders in them.

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I mean on your hand set Dave. Unless they have changed everything that set the doc control units to a quasi dc.

Bas

I didn't know that. Even if it is possible I don't even like to mix sound and non-sound locos on the same layout, never mind mixing DC and DCC. I am going to try and have everything that runs on this one to have a Stay Alive and sound. Once you've tried the full benefits of DCC, you don't want to go back.

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

I mean on your hand set Dave. Unless they have changed everything that set the doc control units to a quasi dc.

Bas

That's still immensely poor for analogue locomotives.    The 'long 0' strategy still will require an occasional opposing signal, which can burn out motors.   I think the more modern motors are actually more susceptible.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another shot of the Peckett.

CVMR2021-005.jpg.e27a6044a3bf0532db6598ecee3cf222.jpg

I said to myself, yesterday, that I'm not going to get carried away with having more engines than is strictly necessary  - and then I started looking at the CSP Models website, thinking about Corbs' Manning Wardle kits, and the Kerr Stuart that I have on order from LRS. :unsure:

I'm thinking that the wagon works building may get replaced by an extra engine shed.

• Like 11
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

I forget the timeframe you placed the CVMR in.   Will the DCC conversion be used to 'update' the layout to a later period?   Will you revisit the scenery to match?

It was supposedly any time from the mid 1870s to 1900, but as a lot of the older engines won't be able to run on here now, and the fact that I have a Barclay that wouldn't have been built until 1921 at the earliest, I guess it's now dated no earlier than that. With the rolling stock all being of pre-Grouping companies that would restrict it to 1923 and maybe a bit beyond until they were all either scrapped or repainted into the Big Four liveries.

It doesn't mean that I can't run prototypically older stuff, just that it may have to look quite a bit more worn now. The original coaches were supposed to be second or third hand, and very old, even with the date set at 1900, but now they would be getting on for 50-60  years old and so have been relegated to the quarry workmen's train. They will need a lot of wear and weathering!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/04/2019 at 15:34, Ruston said:

I have just returned from Scalefour North with various modelling bits and pieces; couplings, wagon transfers and other things. Notably a second hand but unbuilt GNoSR coach kit, by Prickley Pear, which matches the one I am currently building. More importantly I have the last piece of the track plan jigsaw.

DSCF3411.JPG.06a9f5536d426fa09b53784d2247aa55.JPG

I have decided that a traverser is too much faff and one is enough, so for the other end of the railway I have gone for a turnplate, which won't turn all the way round - a sector plate? Anyway, it's custom-made by Tim Horn and is nothing more than a sheet of the same good quality 9mm ply that the baseboards are made from, laser-cut and drilled for the pivot. At £15 I couldn't have made it any cheaper myself and certainly couldn't have cut it as accurately!

Once it's fitted and the tracks laid upon it, all that remains is to install a shelf at the rear for the high level and the track plan is complete.

I also bought a load of Gibson split spoke wagon wheels for upcoming rolling stock projects.

I know this is late in the day but does anyone know if these are still available if if so, how to get in touch of Tim Horn to order one?

I am struggling via the contact us on website :good:

On 16/06/2019 at 16:06, Ruston said:

Yesterday and today I have been making and fitting a proper backscene. Simply painting the background a dark green colour was never really going to do, so I used some photos of trees that I took myself and added in a few mill buildings using Photoshop. It was printed onto several sheets of plain A4 paper and cut up in a collage fashion.

The different parts were glued to the backscene using PVA glue and a bit of brushing on of more of the sky colour, plus a bit more airbrushing and that's it done. There are some more actual model trees to add, particularly where the paper joints are visible but other than that, it's done.

I sat back to admire it and played trains and took some snaps. I'm quite pleased with the background and the scenery as a whole now.

CVMRJune2019-001.jpg.a28b47676afa7b88d3250915a9a4aeb2.jpg

@Rustonbsolutely magnificent build!

Total newbie question coming up....

Where you have your contol knobs for the points all on one level, how are the upper ones connected with them being higher up?? Is there a vertical link?

On 12/10/2021 at 19:12, davidparker172 said:

@Rustonbsolutely magnificent build!

Total newbie question coming up....

Where you have your contol knobs for the points all on one level, how are the upper ones connected with them being higher up?? Is there a vertical link?

Somewhere on an earlier page is a photo of the assemblies that I made to change all the points. The high level ones have tubes for the vertical rod to move in.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...