The first batch, fresh off the pantograph, including the last of my Smiths hooks to make up numbers in place of the one that pinged off somewhere on the floor.

They just need a rub on an oilstone to take off the burrs. I make up a complete pair of couplings before dunking them in blackening solution.

hooks-2.jpg.f0be892c2b5f6b22e1c7410db90b483a.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

L&YR Diagram 21, 10-ton goods brake van.

tintab-005.jpg.8d88697ab959f1fb13bf9e08da3442c0.jpg

I have used up all the suitably sized L&Y lettering from my HMRS sheet, so I put the illiterate symbols on it instead. It's also supposed to have the tare weight on the solebar but I couldn't get the individual numbers and full stops to come away from the methfix backing and so I gave up before it drove me crackers.

• Like 18

On 16/07/2019 at 20:33, Ruston said:

Next in the erecting shop is this Manning Wardle Class F kit. It's by Chivers Slimrails, which is a manufacturer that I have never had any experience of before. The whitemetal castings have a little flash but are otherwise crisp and the lost wax castings look excellent. Most class F had 2ft. 9in. diameter wheels but a few had 3ft and as that's the smallest MW pattern wheel available that's what it will have to be.

cansandstuff-003.jpg.021e3e8544b6226751c422223a9280c9.jpg

The instructions for motorising it mean nothing to me and I'll be looking to find which High Level gearbox will fit. Some of the parts are surplus as the kit is intended to build Wantage Tramway No.7, with it's non-standard fully-enclosed cab. Needless to say that I'll be building it as the Boyne Engine Works intended.

Those brass castings look like the ones supplied for the MRJ scratchbuild series but I may be wrong. The name of Roger Chivers has been around a long time - I built one of his etched brake vans a couple of years ago and it went well.

I attach a picture of my own 'F' to show the  powertrain - I think that's a Lo-Loader but it was a long time ago so can't be 100%. It did need some cutting down to fit though. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

WP_20190721_17_21_55_Pro.jpg.05f6ed9797a64210de4597088b0eb391.jpg

• Like 8

I bought the kit for this LNWR coach from London Road Models at the Scalefour exhibition in Wakefield, earlier this year.

lnwrcoach-1.jpg.e16f59bd22d76cc91a12eef2a647bb67.jpg

lnwrcoach-2.jpg.54438c1f2bd7e589ac56b0baacba765e.jpg

lnwrcoach-3.jpg.57f9f1fa843265348e18c8ed34c4d59f.jpg

I have decided to get two more, but not brakes, and replace the NER and the Stroudley-esque TTTE coach as the stock for the public passenger service. The NER coaches are just a bit on the large and modern side for my liking. I am also replacing the Nellie conversion engines with a Beyer Peacock 2-4-0T and possibly a Terrier. All of the aforementioned are for sale so if anyone is interested please look through previous posts to see photos of them and contact me by PM only.

• Like 11

On 21/07/2019 at 17:38, Barclay said:

Those brass castings look like the ones supplied for the MRJ scratchbuild series but I may be wrong. The name of Roger Chivers has been around a long time - I built one of his etched brake vans a couple of years ago and it went well.

I attach a picture of my own 'F' to show the  powertrain - I think that's a Lo-Loader but it was a long time ago so can't be 100%. It did need some cutting down to fit though. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Thanks for that. It doesn't look like the Lo-loader in the picture. http://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/gearboxplanningpage.html

Yes, you're right - how strange, it does look completely different. But then if you look at the 'profiles' tab on the same page it shows a more detailed drawing of each gearbox and the lo-loader looks like the one in my model. I bought another recently for the Hudswell Clarke so I've had a look at it and it does seem the same as the one in the 'F'. The key is that very slim top part that helps it fit into a small firebox, with a bit of a trim, and then the double articulation to get the drive down and forward to the rear axle.

I have bought one of the engines for the public passenger service. I chose this livery because it's kind of nondescript and the K&ESR logo can be covered by an etched plate that I'll have made up by Narrow Planet. I'm just a bit worried about opening the box. I think I may need to watch one of those box-opening videos before attempting it. It looks a difficult one to get into, what with a card sleeve and, I suspect, some kind of clear plastic inside that. Perhaps the advice of an online expert should be sought before attempting such a feat?

unboxing-1.jpg.f2a86351a51fd1f9a671efacfbfe5906.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

1 hour ago, enginelane said:

Yes the box is easily ripped and makes it difficult to repack. Unnecessarily complex!

I was being sarcastic. You know, all those so-called 'unboxing' videos, where someone films their latest purchase, drones on about it and shows it being removed from the box? I did just look on Youtube for 'Hornby Terrier' and there were almost a dozen of them. I wasted nearly half an hour of my life watching one...

Almost three minutes of some bloke banging on about which versions he's bought or has ordered before he gets the model out of the box and then goes on about the packaging (yes, really! I couldn't believe it! It's a fecking cardboard box - what is there to know about that?). This nonsense went on for almost half an hour and by the end of it I'd learned nothing that I didn't already know and couldn't have seen for myself by looking at pictures. If I really want to know about a model I'll look for a review in a magazine where I can see professional quality photos. I'm sure these folks just love the sound of their own voices. They've Probably they've done 'Media Studies' at school, or college and they think they're the next Martin Scorsese or whatever...

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

I thought the green Peckett looked a bit naked with no nameplates on the tank. It's the first one that I bought when they first came out a couple of years ago and it was used on Nant-Y-Mynydd. Instead of buying some new plates for it to fit in with Ozias Harding's naming scheme I have decided to make transfers for it instead...

exupeckett-001.jpg.b4afb5e42b8dcb3718a8d3274683ea44.jpg

Because of the lighting the camera hasn't picked up the top line but it reads 'Exuperias Gittins, Railway Contractor No.3' This fits in with what Tatlock wrote in the Oakwood book about Gittins plant yard being up near one of the quarries and how his engines would run out on test before and after contracts and overhauls. The quarries sometimes would borrow one when their own engines were out of order.

On the public passenger service a Terrier was bought from the LBSCR, in 1902, and was used right up until the cessation of passenger services.

Terrier-008.jpg.27ffdb6454185e5f9b5825cfc0368a6f.jpg

• Like 18

On 27/07/2019 at 11:44, Ruston said:

I have bought one of the engines for the public passenger service. I chose this livery because it's kind of nondescript and the K&ESR logo can be covered by an etched plate that I'll have made up by Narrow Planet. I'm just a bit worried about opening the box. I think I may need to watch one of those box-opening videos before attempting it. It looks a difficult one to get into, what with a card sleeve and, I suspect, some kind of clear plastic inside that. Perhaps the advice of an online expert should be sought before attempting such a feat?

unboxing-1.jpg.f2a86351a51fd1f9a671efacfbfe5906.jpg

Dave,

You cannot do an "unboxing" video because you have a fine model railway to run your models upon.

For a proper "unboxing" video you would have to run the worlds most gushingly fantastic model on circle of first radius track, temporarily laid directly upon the laminate flooring in the conservatory at your mummy's house.

I strongly suspect that the above does not in any way describe you or your living arrangements !

Gibbo.

• Like 1

On 25/07/2019 at 19:11, Ruston said:

At the moment any modelling at all is out of the question. It's 36 degrees in the shed and in the house isn't much less. The coolest place in the house is the garage, so I've had a proper running session and have taken some snaps along the way. It's been good to actually have a play with the trainset.

Great photos and narrative. Really enjoyed the story.

Stephen

• Agree 1

Family 'istory has it that old Exuperia's yard were a right scruffy 'oil wi' bits of engines lyggin all over t'place.  We might 'ave an old photo or two 'angin abaht somewhere - but dinna 'old tha' breath ter see 'um.

Ah could do wi' one o' them transfer thingies fer my Peckett, but wi' a differnt number.

• Funny 3

7 hours ago, Northroader said:

Beyer Peacock 2-4-0T belonging to somebody.

Well spotted. The kit is for an Isle of Wight Railway engine but they were a standard BP design and were supplied to many different railways from the 1860s to the 1880s.

whatisit-5.jpg.bc0e7ba62d2a4b8468b524e62e414c29.jpg

• Like 6

I have done some more work on the BP. I've had to use filler here and there and so this first coat of primer is just to make it easier to see where the filler needs to be sanded, or added to. As far as the body has progressed, and without the frames or the addition of any extra weight, it is already up to 164g, so it should be a good hauler. Apart from the chimney and dome, it has all been soldered together.

whatisit-6.jpg.8f68f15f6676b05d603292a62b1e08bb.jpg

• Like 11

The body is now all together, bar the roof, which will have to be fitted after painting and the addition of footplate crew as there won't be enough space to get them though the gap if the roof is fitted beforehand. I have also got the power unit ready to fit to the frames - a 60:1 High Level Slimliner, retrieved from one of the Nellie conversions. The motor is a Mitsumi 12/20, which are slow-running motors and, hopefully, well-suited to something such as this with it's large driving wheels.The motor is soldered on without any jigs, collars or other nonsense. I just put the motor, with worm, in place hard up against the first gear and then moved it away just enough.

whatisit-7.jpg.bda25c23d06af4a79acd91ef3bada8b3.jpg

The next thing is to get a rolling chassis, which I'm hoping won't be too difficult but I have made things more difficult by using the P4/EM spacers in the kit and have filed them to give an overall frame width of 13.5mm. If I'd used the OO spacers the frames would be only 11.6mm wide, which is silly when there's almost another 3mm for the back-to-back of the wheels. I set the back-to-backs at 14.7 anyway...

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Ruston said:

The motor is soldered on without any jigs, collars or other nonsense. I just put the motor, with worm, in place hard up against the first gear and then moved it away just enough.

Pragmatic engineering at its best! Looking good.

Alan