36 minutes ago, Ruston said:

I started building this wagon months ago but lost interest. It's made of bits and pieces, Ratio underframe and a bit of scratchbuilding. It isn't any actual L&Y diagram and I just finished it to try out painting and weathering in order to attempt to replicate weathered bare wood as the L&Y originally painted only the metal parts of their wagons. I think it doesn't look too bad - what do you think?

1plank-007.jpg.867eb419f126ef436ad2805c6f606e94.jpg

Hi Ruston,

I think that you are a lot better at painting stuff than I am !

Gibbo.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 13/08/2019 at 19:55, Ruston said:

One of the old Hornby wagons that I started work on back on page 6 is now in service, along with a second one that I picked up along tje way. Transfers are from @Wordsell forever

2016198592_HBR-008.jpg.4323e0cc6bd101224947f610c04e7e31.jpg

661182723_HBR-010.jpg.05692ea437db5fa4861617fe7ee0f89a.jpg

Dear Dave, none of the photo's in my collellection show vans with "End Numbers". Do you please have photo's that show otherwise?

Many Thanks, Mick.

VAN_4051_XX.jpg

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

Dear Dave, none of the photo's in my collellection show vans with "End Numbers". Do you please have photo's that show otherwise?

Many Thanks, Mick.

Hi Mick. I don't have any. I just made that bit up. To be honest I make a lot of it up. Purists would have a field day pointing out the wrong brakes, buffers and missing lettering on just about all of my wagons but they look alright when weathered and from a distance. I can't see most of it without me specs on anyway. :lol:

• Like 7

Dear Dave, many thanks for your reply. Your approach is much the same as mine "painting a moving 3D Picture". If I want "Dogs Balls" detail, I would work in Gauge 1 and I'm doing that just now, picture attached of a H&BRly Kitson tank, just the job for the Calder Vale, if you want details please feel free to ask.

K  No Unkown Alexandra Dock.jpg

Edited by micknich2003
missing word
  • Like 8

On 19/07/2019 at 19:01, Ruston said:

L&YR Diagram 21, 10-ton goods brake van.

tintab-005.jpg.8d88697ab959f1fb13bf9e08da3442c0.jpg

I have used up all the suitably sized L&Y lettering from my HMRS sheet, so I put the illiterate symbols on it instead. It's also supposed to have the tare weight on the solebar but I couldn't get the individual numbers and full stops to come away from the methfix backing and so I gave up before it drove me crackers.

You've done a superb job with that Dave. I'm glad it was of use to you.

• Thanks 1

Oh WOW that wagon you made Dave is fantastic it oozes and breathes character.  I particularly like the rusty bloom about the metal strapping, very delicate and realistic indeed.  I like the oily bits too.

Best

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Dear Dave, many thanks for your reply. Your approach is much the same as mine "painting a moving 3D Picture". If I want "Dogs Balls" detail, I would work in Gauge 1 and I'm doing that just now, picture attached of a H&BRly Kitson tank, just the job for the Calder Vale, if you want details please feel free to ask.

K  No Unkown Alexandra Dock.jpg

That's a lovely looking thing. I take it that it's a well tank?

Another Magnus Magnusson project...

1935331106_brakevan-1.jpg.ca770b792b52843c48fc46f525ea6584.jpg

I started this a while ago and it was meant to be a Rhymney Railway 6-ton brake van but I only had a drawing and no photos, so misinterpreted the paneling and framing. It will be a freelance design for the CVMR.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Ruston said:

That's a lovely looking thing. I take it that it's a well tank?

Another Magnus Magnusson project...

1935331106_brakevan-1.jpg.ca770b792b52843c48fc46f525ea6584.jpg

I started this a while ago and it was meant to be a Rhymney Railway 6-ton brake van but I only had a drawing and no photos, so misinterpreted the paneling and framing. It will be a freelance design for the CVMR.

Yes, it's a well tank, there is  saddle tank version at Dinting, also a scaled down Tram Engine version in the Hull Streetlife Museum.

19 hours ago, sir douglas said:

didnt you get a book last year at scalefour north with the H&B kitsons in it, you were showing me the photos in it at the show. the book may have been H&B locos

You're right, I did. I've just had a look and it's got the same photo in it, and a small drawing.

3 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Dave, I presume the book to which you ref was by the late Ron Prattley, though the exact title escapes.

That's the one. Locomotives Of The Hull And Barnsley Railway. Published by the HMRS.

6 minutes ago, Ruston said:

That's the one. Locomotives Of The Hull And Barnsley Railway. Published by the HMRS.

6 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Dave, many thanks for the confirmation, to best of my knowledge only three books have been published covering H&BRly engines. If you fancy building a Kitson tank, I have the GA drawing here, just ask. Best Wishes, Mick.

An attempt to work out a set of train movements for operating the railway.

1       E1 Light Engine from Brookfoot shed to Elland to collect workmen’s pass.

2       E2 Light Engine from Brookfoot shed to Quarry Branch.

3       E1 Elland to Hipperholme Workman’s pass. Drop 1 coach at Brookfoot for Quarry Branch.

4       E2 Quarry Branch to Brookfoot. Drop stone fulls in loop, collect workman’s pass to Quarry.

5       PE1 Elland to Hipperholme pass.

6       E1 Light Engine+brake van from Hipperholme to Brookfoot. Collect stone fulls, take to Elland.

7       E3 Light Engine + brake van from Brookfoot shed to colliery branch.

8       PE1 Hipperholme to Elland.

9       E3 Chaldrons to Wharf (run-round at Brookfoot)

10    E2 to Brookfoot shed to take on water.

11    E1 pick-up goods, Elland to Hipperholme (drop off at Brookfoot as required).

12    E3 Empty Chaldrons to Colliery Branch.

13    E2 If required collect wagons from Brookfoot and deposit as per wagon labels.

14    E3 Collect any coal wagons for Elland and leave at Shed Junction, then Light Engine to water, coal and shed.

15    PE1 Elland to Hipperholme pass. (wait for pick-up goods to pass in loop).

16    E2 Collect any wagons from Knowles Siding or Colliery Branch for and take to Brookfoot (wait for pick-up goods).

17    E1 Hipperholme to Elland goods. Stop in loop and wait if wagons to be attached at Brookfoot.

18    E2 Light Engine to Hipperholme.

19    PE1 Hipperholme to Elland pass.

20    E1 Elland to Quarry Branch stone empties.

21    E1 Collect workmen’s coach at quarry and take to platform at Brookfoot.

22    E2 Hipperholme to Elland workmen’s pass. Couple to rear or E1’s train.

23    E1&E2 Workmen’s train to Elland.

24    E1 & E2 Light Engine to Brookfoot shed, water, coal, shed.

Every 3rd move roll D6: 5,6 (6 is also one coal wagon to be dropped at Knowles Siding) = E4 from Colliery Branch to Quarry Branch (clay to brickworks). E4 Must return to Colliery Branch even if LE at end of day.

PE1 – Passenger Engine. E1 & E2 are CVMR Engines. E3 & E4 are CVC&CC Engines.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 20:44, Ruston said:

Re-railing jacks, made from brass strip, tube, rod and 14BA nuts and bolts. They should really have a traversing screw in the base but it's not even worth trying in this scale.

jacks-001.jpg.7132a3b9ca19ba6bd71ee47664337e6f.jpg

jacks-035.jpg.815836496452df18c45af720f05b1ca0.jpg

A rare colourised photo, from the Albert Tatlock collection, in Calderdale Archives, of Manning Wardle Class H Kitchener ascending the bank with a train of empties for the quarry branch.

KitchenerBrookfoot.jpg.b17b99b905901b47784928d80e9b4c07.jpg

You can almost hear that!

Stu

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 20:44, Ruston said:

Re-railing jacks, made from brass strip, tube, rod and 14BA nuts and bolts. They should really have a traversing screw in the base but it's not even worth trying in this scale.

jacks-001.jpg.7132a3b9ca19ba6bd71ee47664337e6f.jpg

jacks-035.jpg.815836496452df18c45af720f05b1ca0.jpg

A rare colourised photo, from the Albert Tatlock collection, in Calderdale Archives, of Manning Wardle Class H Kitchener ascending the bank with a train of empties for the quarry branch.

KitchenerBrookfoot.jpg.b17b99b905901b47784928d80e9b4c07.jpg

You can almost hear that!

Stu

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, SteelAndSoot said:

A couple things.

First of all this is a brilliant layout and I can't wait to see what else comes next.

And secondly is there a kit of an industrial engine that you would recommend to a starter.

Will

Thanks.

It's difficult to recommend one particular kit, especially without knowing your level of skill. Can you use a soldering iron for anything other than electrical work?