The idea of magnets and strips of steel on the bank has been abandoned. Rather than experiment with it I thought it better to find out if it was actually necessary, so I laid a length of track on the trackbed and attached a controller via wires and crocodile clips. The obvious choice to try out first was the Hattons Barclay as it is the lightest and I'm pleased to say that it propelled 6 kit-built open wagons up without slpping.

Six wagons is about the limit, I would have thought, that the prototype could take up something so steep and as 8 wagons plus loco is the maximum train length that will fit in the fiddleyard then 6 will do just fine.

There was a similar bank at Polkemmet. Regularly tackled by double heading of Barclays; no more than six 16T fulls - and taking a run at the bank. 

• Like 1

I've got 6x10t opens, which would weigh about 4 1/2 tons each empty. That's 27 tons.

I don't know exactly what a prototype 14-inch Barclay weighs but as a 16-inch is  35 tons   and a 10-inch is 22 tons it's probably around the 30-ton mark. I have a Ruston & Hornsby brochure for their 88DS diesel, which states that in 2nd gear it can haul 26 tons up a 1 in 20 and that the loco weighs 17tons, so I don't think it's unrealistic to assume that a loco 10 tons heavier, and with a higher tractive effort (5100lbs on the 88DS in 2nd gear, 19,430lbs on the 16-inch Barclay and 8343lb. on the 10-inch) can take a ton more up a slightly steeper gradient of 1 in 18.

Of course that's all just numbers and theory but I have seen similar-sized locomotives taking 4 empty 21t hoppers (around 9-tons each), plus brake van, up Foxfield bank, which is 1 in 19 so I'm confident that the numbers of wagons, the gradient and the use of a single locomotive, on my layout are well within realistic limits and I don't need to invoke rule#1 :P

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 4

From having to low-load a 14" Barclay many years ago I seem to remember that it was 29 tons empty so your estimate was just about spot on. I only went there once, in 1979, and was seriously impressed by the operations at Polkemmet but the wind didn't half whistle across the moor even in August!

Cheers,

Ray.

Edited by Marshall5
  • Like 1

The signal cabin is finished, except for a drainpipe.

CVMR-013.jpg.1985a39bdfbd6c17abec653b10aa1a78.jpg

As seen in the previous photo, the carcass is mounting card and plywood. The brick base and roofing slates are Wills sheeting. The window frames are made from plastic strip and the outer framing of the building is plastic and square section. The bargeboards are plasticard and were done by making a single pattern and replicating it 4 times on the profile miller. The roof is removable so that an interior and lighting can be fitted.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 10

That's rather a striking shade of blue!

From what I remember, I'm sure the Calder Vale Mineral Railway didn't paint their structures that colour :scratchhead:

I didn't think you were that old! Anyways, in the Oakwood Press book The Calder Vale Mineral Railway, by Albert Tatlock F.F.S. (long out of print and very scarce), it says that the colour of the company's structures was buff, with blue on things such as bargeboards, drainpipes, gutters etc. in the Notes For Modellers chapter, Tatlock decribes it as being a vibrant mid-blue that can be accurately replicated by Tamiya XF8 flat blue.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I do like that blue Ruston - a very accurate rendition if I do say so!

I’m sure Tamiya must have taken a paint sample from one of the surviving CVMR structures.

Ah good old Albert Tatlock - a fellow member of the F.F.S...

• Like 1

There was a similar bank at Polkemmet. Regularly tackled by double heading of Barclays; no more than six 16T fulls - and taking a run at the bank.

Sorry but this just isn't right. There was no way the locos could get a run at the bank it was a slow and hard work from the start getting slightly faster towards the exchange sidings.

The load limit you quote is way off the mark. One of the drivers showed me a letter from the manager saying a max of 9 x 24 ton minerals with two locos, the two being No.25 and 18 inch No.8. The driver told me that they once took 13 x 24 ton minerals in the snow as the shunter made a mistake.

I have seen 10 x 24 ton minerals and 16 x 16 tonners taken with 15 inch No.8 and 16 inch No.25 one hot summers day, the locos were barely moving above the screens but they were taking these loads all morning and never stopped.

There are photos on eBay at the moment showing 12 x16 tonners being taken up.

The signal cabin is finished, except for a drainpipe.

attachicon.gifCVMR-013.jpg

As seen in the previous photo, the carcass is mounting card and plywood. The brick base and roofing slates are Wills sheeting. The window frames are made from plastic strip and the outer framing of the building is plastic and square section. The bargeboards are plasticard and were done by making a single pattern and replicating it 4 times on the profile miller. The roof is removable so that an interior and lighting can be fitted.

I've decided not to use the signalbox. It's too railway-like. I suppose what i mean is that it's too much like something on a main line company railway and not enough of what is supposed to be a mineral railway that just happens to also run a public passenger service. I might go for the Wills kit as it's very simple and generic, or I may build something else, probably just a simple corugated iron shelter to cover the ground frame, instruments and signalman.

On the other hand, the engine shed is almost finished. The only thing holding up work is the need for some suitable plastic section for the gutters. I could use the gutters in the Wills pack but I don't want cast iron. I want them to look like the old-fashioned wooden gutters. I remember, when I was about 10 years old, helping my father to fit one of those old gutters and having to carry it across town from the builder's merchants because we didn't have a van, or a car, and he was too tight to pay for delivery. It was heavy!

post-494-0-33984400-1536953119.jpg

I've been told that it looks as if it could withstand a nuclear attack! I suppose it does look rather well built, with the thick buttresses.

post-494-0-97145600-1536953148.jpg

I have some doors, from York Modelmaking, to fit at this end. The other end is going to recieve a corrugated iron extension so that two engines can be accomodated.

• Like 12

Thanks, Neil. I'm seriously considering ditching the shed, too. To be honest, I'm having problems picturing things in my mind and being satisfied with not only how they look as models but how they fit in with what I'm trying to achieve.

The shed is lovely Dave. I'm liking the brick repairs to the frontage, very prototypical when one examines photographs of such structures. Any significance around the 1843 date?

Paul A.

Thanks, Paul. It's 1849 and the only significance is that they are the only numbers that I have. I made the piece on the pantograph miller, or to give it it's proper name, engraving machine; for that is what they were made for. When I got it, it came with a partial alphabet and these numbers. I wanted to engrave the piece but ended up slotting the numbers out, flipping it over and cutting the little bits in the 8 and the 9 out by hand to insert once it was glued to a backing sheet. The reason for this is that the figures in the brass alphabet are all mirror image. I have no idea why they should be like that but they are.

I have decided to make another shed. I could really use a photo of a stone-built shed to base the model on. Nothing fancy though.

• Like 1

Engine shed take two.

CVMR-020.jpg.fe2e7a3cb31726e8d5dd7fe880a93bab.jpg

A much simpler design.

In other news... I have done some wiring! Wires have been soldered to the point solenoids and electrical connector blocks have been screwed to the other ends of the wires, so the next thing is to invert the baseboards and screw the solenoids to the underside. Thrilling stuff, eh?

Edited by Ruston

Hmmm... prefer the Mk.1 it has bags of character, while this one may be more conventional its just a shed

I looked at it and looked at it. The more I looked at it the less it said "engine shed" and the more it said "school" to me. Show me a 19th century industrial engine shed that looks like it and I'll reconsider.I've looked through all three volumes of Industrial Railway Locomotive Sheds, by Adrian Booth /IRS) and there's nothing remotely like it.

Trust me, the new one will have character, but won't look like a school. :ohmyclear:

I looked at it and looked at it. The more I looked at it the less it said "engine shed" and the more it said "school" to me. Show me a 19th century industrial engine shed that looks like it and I'll reconsider.I've looked through all three volumes of Industrial Railway Locomotive Sheds, by Adrian Booth /IRS) and there's nothing remotely like it.

Trust me, the new one will have character, but won't look like a school. :ohmyclear:

School is not something that occurred to me, but I'll confess that I was looking forward to an interesting back-story  :D

Hmmm... prefer the Mk.1 it has bags of character, while this one may be more conventional its just a shed

Do you know what? I think he is right!!! 

Especially if you 'Distress' it!!!

C.

This photograph is currently on ebay. I saw it and thought of this layout - would make a lovely post-Victorian contractors wagon if you're looking for a nice project Dave!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Midland-Railway-Carriage-Wagon-Works-Co-Ltd-tipper-wagon-old-large-photo/273462053774?hash=item3fab9bcb8e:g:XTAAAOSwamhbm9qB

Paul A.