OO works in three shoeboxes

1 hour ago, OOman said:

Nice photos, I like the small details such as the little forklift truck and the piece of chain stretched across the pathway. 

An enjoyable, well constructed and modelled layout.:good_mini:

Thank you! The chain was a happy accident as I didn't have a spare gate lying around, and I love it. And that forklift's in both of those photos, just about!

1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Some nice modelling there TechnicArrow, like the videos and the Kibri crane, look forward to seeing that 'anglecised' I recon it will fit in well.

Steve.

Thanks for your kind words. I'm looking forward to working on the crane too, it should be an interesting little project in itself.

57 minutes ago, luke the train spotter said:

Looking good as usual. I like what you're hinting about.... Very compact layouts if you can avoid points and utilise wagon turntables. Maybe an Easter project?

Compact is certainly the idea! As for when, I've told myself I'm not going to try a whole new layout over Easter; two weeks is quite tight especially with other family goings-on, so I'm going to restrict myself to just getting the crane working and maybe some other small projects. The new layout's going to wait until Summer. Only time will tell if I actually stick to that plan!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I did manage to stick to my plan! Over Easter I built a meccano gearbox to control the crane, and fitted it out. The HO model still feels a tad too small, but it works beautifully; far more interesting to operate than the yard crane, as the movable boom allows for a grater range. I'll upload a video next week, hopefully. 

Since then, my time has been full of revision, exams, and placement job interviews. Now that the exams are over and the placement is secured, the typical Welsh weather has returned of course. Still, it means I'm allowing myself to play trains again. I finally got around to making an incredibly simple, easy and yet important modification I should have made ages ago:

1607672063_25.Box3hole.png.a74271be4189b45c8acf74ec2848e418.png

I cut a hole in the end of Box 3, folded it down, and pushed the length of track from the original "fiddle lid" onto it. It doubles the inglenook's headshunt capacity from a restrictive 2 wagons (+loco) to an ample 4, very useful when operating the longer lowmac or parcels van. The front siding and skewed overbridge still make viewing the "hole in the world" virtually impossible.

1230325252_25.LongerHeadshunt(2).JPG.99868968b163047996827ec177330090.JPG

1772457885_25.LongerHeadshunt(3).JPG.3f9c2be75dd00f8fc039d1b2b7ea0f95.JPG

And of course, I couldn't post here without adding some more pictures! The new hole allows for a good view down the entire layout.

1033862382_25.LongerHeadshunt(6b).jpg.c026e6bb0b243d42113ac5259bbd740c.jpg

And there's plenty of activity in the yard today, it seems.

943482459_25.Yardactivities(1).JPG.ede1d875fe06dd75c9ac80fb6e8bd7ea.JPG

This is possibly my favourite photo of the layout. I'm not sure why, but everything just works for me.

1284416255_25.Yardactivities(2).JPG.80780ac12cd805005be2f990d926d01b.JPG

That said, I've just notice the 04's vacuum pipe is a bit off... dang it! Finally, I decided to include an overall view of the layout sat on my desk. Being buried under a model railway is a nice change from stacks of structural mechanics notes and papers.

1618860161_25.Overallview(5).JPG.623ac5dc292a6afc8ca5c01f48fe4b4f.JPG

I'm leaving Uni over the weekend, and back home to my modelling tools for 6 weeks. I've drawn up the (very simple) plans for the next layout already, so keep an eye out.

• Like 17

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TechnicArrow, when I returned to railway modelling two years ago, my main interest was modelling the scenery and buildings. Having watched your short videos, as well as those of other modellers, I have come to appreciate the operation side more.  Amazing how much detail you have crammed into these three boxes, and also created a very realistic model as well! Thank you.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1