Bury Interchange in 4mm

JonKing

Good afternoon Jon, I am an exiled Bury Lad, and I travelled on the "Bouncing Hummers" lots & lots of times, nice application of the GMT livery, as others have said these units also appeared in rail blue & blue grey before the GMPTE livery appeared, are you going to be modelling the lit mercury bulb in the centre windows, please find below a couple of great 17 minute videos by signalman John. C. Earwicker, here it shows some great footage of the last days of this line under BR ownership, including the units being dragged off for scrap, and engineers trains etc.

Happy viewing.

Craig.

Craig,

Great videos - thanks for sharing. I do intend to add lighting at some point, however as it has taken a couple of months to finish the model I am a bit bored of it now!. Will do a bit more on the layout and come back to the unit to add lighting etc, luckily the Bachmann chassis already have lighting connections and a number of SMT LEDs ready to be cannibalised so adding lighting wont be too much of a challenge.

Jon

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Goodness, I didn't realise that there would be any interest in these. If I have set it up correctly the bogies are available from here:-

https://www.shapeways.com/product/J8QKKHAEX/class-504-trailer-bogies?key=ecb34eed4425411510f19b10efed0b2f

Its worth noting that as these are designed to fit the Bachmann pickups other bearings (top hat etc) probably wont work as the bearing holes are oversized. Also, the models include shoe gear and cab steps / life guards (for the cab end bogie). If there is any interest it wont take much to modify the 3d model to exclude the shoe gear and cab steps / life guards.

Edit - I should also add they are also fairly expensive for what they are, this is down to the shapeways pricing system.

Jon

Yes we really need a pair for the driving motor, one with and one without the shoe gear please.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jon,

Your progressing well.  But come on, 504 electrics .. you can't be bored with them :P Not allowed! Hehe.

Looking forward to seeing several units wading in an out of Bury Interchange ... trouble is your making me think which is always dangerous!!!

Rich

• 1 month later...

Well despite not posting much on here some progress has been made on the actual layout ... well almost.

I have been building some of the key layout parts with the intention that once the baseboards are finished (sometime after Christmas) it will be a case of plugging all the main components together and then starting on the scenics. First up is the control panel, this is housed in a 6mm ply laser cut enclosure.The enclosure is a custom unit designed to suit my requirements, I would have used a off the shelf enclosure however none of them were deep enough to suit the switches I intend to use. Panel fascia is shown below.

post-24470-0-29038200-1543873822_thumb.jpg

I wanted to give the panel the feel of a real IFS panel without being a 100% replica. Key to this was using some rather nice SPDT rotary switches I have had knocking around in my garage for some time (the switches are from an old industrial control panel and are rated at 415V hence the size issues mentioned previously). The switches act as simple on/off switches to the coil on 12v DPDT relays which then drive signals and stall point motors. I have also used DPDT relays to introduce logic functions / interlocking between signals, track circuits* and points. This logic will prevent signals being pulled off if routes are not set correctly, track circuits occupied or conflicting routes setup. Signals will also be held at amber if the next is not green etc. I am no electronics expert and I am sure there is a better way to do this which would also resolve some of the short comings of my system (e.g the setup does not prevent points being pulled under trains and whilst signals will revert to red if the track circuit in rear becomes occupied they will revert back to clear once the track circuit clears if the switch has not been turned back to red). Panel internals are shown below, my wiring is not the neatest:

(* when I refer to track circuit I am referring to DCC block occupancy detectors)

post-24470-0-46261700-1543874389_thumb.jpg

Signal and track circuit indications are repeated on the panel using LEDs in light bezels from the same industrial control panel. Eagle eyed people will notice that amber bezels have been used for the red aspects of the platform starters - when illuminated they are red its just I ran out of red bezels!.

post-24470-0-75953400-1543874499_thumb.jpg

I have also started on the station throat trackwork. Photo below shows the 504 posed on the templot plan for scale. This shows how big "real" turnouts are especially considering that I have compressed the throat trackwork by around 20%.

post-24470-0-14281000-1543874997_thumb.jpg

Construction has started using C&L components. It should be flat bottomed however I have used bullhead as I find it easier to build.

post-24470-0-27070700-1543875119_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 14:54, MarshLane said:

Hi Jon,

This is coming on nicely - have you made any other progress over Christmas/New Year?  Can I ask where you got your point switches from?  Very realistic.

Rich

Hi,

No real progress since before the New Year. Whilst I do intend to finish this layout I have been slightly distracted by my existing layout (see Embankment Road thread!).

The switches are SPDT rotary switches from a old industrial control panel (similar switches are available on ebay). They wont work tortoise / cobalt point motors on their own and have to be used as an on / off switch powering the coil on a DPDT relay. The output side of the DPDT relay is then wired in exactly the same way as you would if you were using a DPDT switch to operate the point motors (just make sure the DPDT relays are 12v and capable of 1-2 amps, again dirt cheap on ebay).

Jon

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, JonKing said:

Hi,

No real progress since before the New Year. Whilst I do intend to finish this layout I have been slightly distracted by my existing layout (see Embankment Road thread!).

The switches are SPDT rotary switches from a old industrial control panel (similar switches are available on ebay). They wont work tortoise / cobalt point motors on their own and have to be used as an on / off switch powering the coil on a DPDT relay. The output side of the DPDT relay is then wired in exactly the same way as you would if you were using a DPDT switch to operate the point motors (just make sure the DPDT relays are 12v and capable of 1-2 amps, again dirt cheap on ebay).

Jon

Hi Jon,

Id missed your Embankment Road thread totally - off to find that .... thanks for the feedback on the switches, I have been looking for something similar and not found anything on eBay, but I'll go have another look under SPDT Rotary switches!

Don't give up on Bury tho, its looking good! Love the track work you've made.

Rich

19 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Jon,

Id missed your Embankment Road thread totally - off to find that .... thanks for the feedback on the switches, I have been looking for something similar and not found anything on eBay, but I'll go have another look under SPDT Rotary switches!

Don't give up on Bury tho, its looking good! Love the track work you've made.

Rich

Rich,

Something like this should do the job:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/On-Off-2Position-Rotary-Select-Selector-Switch-1-NO-10A-600V-AC-XB2-ED21-EJ21-YJ/263432827400?hash=item3d55d1f208:g:oO4AAOSwyXNZ8vQX:rk:44:pf:0

The example above is actually a SPST switch but that's all you need if you are using it to drive a DPDT relay (basically all you need is an on/off switch to energise the relay coil).

This is the type of relay you should get:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5pcs-G5V-2-DC-12V-2A-DPDT-8Pin-PCB-Mount-Low-cost-Signal-Relay-VQ/163290799437?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3D5e0b5b94abff4b0da9e1257f4a1fd47c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D121694775735%26itm%3D163290799437&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

When I got mine they were around £5 for 5 but I assume the increase is due to fluctuating markets, exchange rates etc.

Jon

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...