Tonbridge MRC 38th Exhibition Saturday 16th Feb 2019

ColinW

Tonbridge MRC will be holding their 38th exhibition in the Angel Centre, Angel Lane, Tonbridge, TN9 1SF, on Saturday 16th February 2019.  The admission prices are:- Adults £6, Children (between 10-16) £1, children under 10 FREE.  List of layouts booked to attend is below.

Layouts

Batcombe                    OO

Bigbury                        OO

Cross Ness                 OO

Ebsworth Street          OO

Endale South               N

Freshwater                  2mm FS

Greenfield Sidings      OO

Hookhills  Viaduct       N

Klapping (OBB)           HO

Lakeside                      HO

Lighterman's Yard        2mm FS

Little River Falls           On30

London SW999            N

Melin Llechi                  16mm

Mulldale                        O-16.5

Nette Brucke                 N

North of England Line   N

Plumpton Green           P4

Rumbling Bridge          OO

South Downs Tar         O

Southwark Bridge        N

Staple and Ash            OO

Uden                            HO

Volks Electric Railway  OO9

Walworth Road            Gauge 1

Webb's Wharf              O

Wendslydale                O-16.5

Whitecross Street        OO

I will update with list of traders, when I am given them.  For more information visit the club's website, www.tonbridgemrc.com or e-mail tonbridgemrc@yahoo.co.uk

Colin

Edited by ColinW

• 2 weeks later...

Another two layouts can be added to the list above.  They are

Holmill           OO

Pwllheli          P4

I also have a list of traders, and they are as follows

Traders

Ace Products

Carriage and Wagon Models

Coastal DCC

Dart Castings

David Wills

DOW Scenics

Golden Arrow productions

Harrison-Brown Models

Invicta Model Rail Ltd

Kent Garden Railways

KS Laser designs

Layouts4u

Matthew Cousins (artist & with drive Thomas layout)

Mike Turner  (Artist)

Plus Daughters

Railroad Trading

Ray Morris

Roneo Models

Roxey Mouldings

Simply Southern

South Eastern Finecast

Supercast

Videolines

This will be updated when I am given more news

Colin

• 2 months later...

We have some more attendees for the show.

Layouts:

Hazelby       OO

Traders:

Hardy's Hobbies

Rail-Books

Squires Model & Craft Tools

Societies:

RCTS

Spa Valley Railway

Tonbridge Model Engineering Society

Demonstrators:

Jack Chalkley

Steve Sharp

I will up date when I have more information.

Colin

• 2 months later...

As we are now just 44 days from the exhibition, here is some travel information for anyone coming to the show.

TRAVEL BY CAR:  For those driving to the show, can you please note that there will be NO road signage for the exhibition itself.  We suggest that you follow signs directing you towards Tonbridge railway station, which is 5 minutes from the Angel Centre.  As you get closer to the station, the Angel Centre or Sainsburys (which is at the other end of the building) should be on road signs.  There are several long and short term pay & display car parks available around the Angel Centre.  Please note that there is some roadworks being carried out by the railway station.

TRAVEL BY RAIL:  For those travelling by train, Tonbridge station is served by trains coming from Ashford, Canterbury, Ramsgate, Margate, Folkestone, Dover, Hastings, Tunbridge Wells, Strood, Maidstone West, Redhill, Orpington, Sevenoaks, London Charing Cross, Waterloo East, London Bridge.  When you arrive at Tonbridge, leave by the main entrance on top of the road bridge, turn to your left and you should be able to see Sainsburys just beyond the station multi level car park.  Walk down the hill towards a mini roundabout.  When you get to the roundabout, crossover the road and turn right and carry on to the next mini roundabout.  There is a pedestrian crossing in between to crossover the road, use that and when you get to the roundabout, you will see the Sainsburys petrol station, with the Sainsburys right behind it.  The Angel Centre it at the far end, and we will have banners up for the exhibition. There are engineering works booked for the Saturday from Chislehurst/Bickley to Orpington/Sevenoaks, so trains are likely to be diverted or running at different times than normal.

Colin

• RMweb Premium

I see that there is a Polar fast charger just round the corner at Nev'll Fixit, so I should be OK to use my new EV for the trip.

I really must check that my layout and all the bits (legs, crates, toolbox, etc) fit in the new car this weekend. I know the layout fits, but not tried it with all the extras yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately Invicta Model Rail have had to withdraw from the show because of poor health.  The club would like to wish them a speedy recovery.  We are happy to have Dingo Servo Mounts as a new trader and Michael Tucker as a demonstrator at the show.

To anyone who watched the Great Model Railway Challenge, they will know that the club entered a team into the competition, and we will have some of the layout, Cliffs End, on display (the layout didn't survive, as we didn't have the storage room for it!) and some of the team will be arouind to talk about their experience on the show.

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Just 11 days to go until the show.  Can I take this opportunity to advise that in recent years we have been very fortunate to have some long queue before the start of the show.  Whilst we try and get everyone into the show as quickly as possible, this does include selling tickets to those at the front of the queue, before the show has opened,  If people do not wish to queue at the beginning of the show, can I advise to arrive late morning/lunchtime, as the queue should have been reduced significantly by then.  Another way people can help is by having the correct admission with them when they arrive, that way we can keep the queue moving quickly.

Colin

Just to remind people, that as well as the main halls, we have exhibit's upstairs in the Riverside Suite, as well as the public catering.  There is a disability lift available for those people in need of it, and we should have stewards available to assist use it.

Colin

The team at Hardy’s Hobbies are really looking forward to Saturday.

We will have the full range of of 00 and O gauge figures with us along with undertaking custom scanning.

Look out for our show offers!

See you saturday!

1 hour ago, ba14eagle said:

Looking forward to travelling to this new show (for me) - hopefully the trains wont be a nightmare.

Are any of the loco Dr's into fixing dcc stuff? please!!

Yes , I believe one of our club member's providing the loco doctor service will be able to fix dcc loco's

Colin

1 hour ago, ColinW said:

Yes , I believe one of our club member's providing the loco doctor service will be able to fix dcc loco's

Colin

I'd forgotten about your loco doctors...I'll have to remember to bring one of mine in for him to have a look at

It's going to be a long day, today. Collecting barriers this morning, before moving the rest of our equipment this afternoon. To the exhibitors and traders travelling to us today, have a good journey, and we look forward to seeing you this evening.

Colin

North of England Line and Rumbling Bridge will be soon setting off for the long drive down from Scarborough. If you saw us at Erith a few weeks ago and enjoyed what you saw, come and say hello.

NoEL will have some of Derek Rutherford's N gauge locomotives running including the P2, W1, streamlined B17 and railcar as well as our Flying Scotsman, Scotch goods, Queen of Scots and Silver Jubilee sets.

RB features entirely scratch built buildings set in stunning Scottish scenery with sound fitted locomotives.

See you there!

• Like 1

The exhibition is now over, and has proved to be successful again. The club would like to thank the layout owners & operators, traders, demonstrators & members of other model railway clubs who were assisting us by stewarding, and hope they have a safe journey home.

I will pass on the concerns about the exhibition to the exhibition manager.

Colin

A most enjoyable day out. Very busy from opening with a 20 min queue when we arrived. Good variety in trade and layouts. Have to disagree some what with the colonel though. What exactly is “exhibition standard”? There needs to be a balance between what can best be described as beginner or introductory layouts, mid level skill layouts, and fine scale. I think the exhibition managed that balance quite well. 

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, col.stephens said:

I'm sorry to say that, in my view, today's show was not quite up to the usual standard.  There were some excellent layouts, but many were really not up to what I consider to be 'exhibition standard'.   I wonder if quantity is becoming more important than quality.      .  .  .  the small room had too many small layouts crammed in and little space for visitors to move.  Might I suggest fewer layouts but a consistently higher standard in future? 

I entirely agree.  In the morning the small room was uncomfortably crowded.  There were too many exhibits in the confined space.  Perhaps the temptation for a one-day show is to sacrifice quality for quantity.

'Exhibition standard' is difficult to define because it is a combination of qualities.  On many layouts the exhibitors preferred to socialize among themselves rather than to concentrate on putting on 'a good show'.  It's good that operators and exhibitors get on well with each other, but not at the expense of paying visitors.  I saw many operator errors, some caused by operators receiving tuition from a colleague, and a lot caused by operators being distracted either by listening to, or participating in, a conversation with colleagues.  In this regard, many layouts fell short of being to an 'exhibition standard'.      

Edited by Bonafide
To correct 'hall' to 'room'.
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, col.stephens said:

I disagree that there must be any balance between the arbitrary categories of layout as mentioned by Andrew.  What is wrong with all of the exhibits being of a standard to which everyone can aspire (or 'exhibition standard')?  The exhibition manager said in his foreword to the guide that he hoped the layouts would inspire us.  Frankly, a lot didn't.

I know that a lot of work goes into the preparation and organisation of any exhibition and it is a thankless task for which not many people in any club will volunteer.  However, why fill a space with a layout which is not up to the mark when the space can just as easily be filled with a layout which will inspire us?

I repeat there were some excellent layouts at the show.

Terry

I can see both points of view on the standard of layout and layouts that inspire or show how.

There is a difference between them and we need some of each.

Some that many or most would describe as Exhibition Quality and others that 'show the way' to get punters thinking and wanting to take their own further or start something new.

After all, surely that's what the hobby needs.

On the other hand, what we don't need is 'poor' layouts and I don't mean unfinished necessarily. We have all seen them, bad track, bad ballasting, bad trains ord operators not knowing what is going on, don't know how the layout works or preferring to have a conversation between themselves. Or a combination of all of any of these. Oh, and chatting on the phone, of course. OK if you're not involved in operating at that point in time.

All the above shows why an Exhibition Manager needs to see the layouts he books or has a 'reliable' source recommendations.

No comment on the show as I couldn't go.

That's it from me.

Dave

• Agree 1