Worsley Works: "WT" 2-6-4T ("Jeep") kit

Horsetan

I've just had a message from Allen Doherty at Worsley Works. The body kit for the long awaited "WT" class 2-6-4T is virtually ready, and can apparently be adapted to fit the Hornby Fowler 2-6-4T chassis.

The chassis etch designed for 21mm gauge will follow afterwards. I've waited many years for this!!!

Contact Allen to order yours! http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/WW/Email.htm

Update: Body £50, Chassis £25.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

If it's anything like his "W" class mogul kit, there may be a few castings in it.

According to Allen there will be no castings with this kit.  It would be very helpful to less experience modellers to have a list of what casting will be required and who to source them through, hoping someone will pick up on this.

According to Allen there will be no castings with this kit. ...

Ah. That's slightly disappointing, but no matter.

Some near-enough Fowler castings may be had from AGW - download their catalogue. Here's what the "W" mogul seems to have

Thinking about it, at a show, probably the practical way of identifying suitable parts is to have the photos of no.4 handy and then comparing these to parts on offer at AGW's trade stand.

Some details of AGW would be helpful for those of us who aren't familiar with him/them.....a Google search turned up nothing for me.

247 Developments also do some useful Fowler/Ivatt castings, and Comet models (now wizard I think) did suitable strap type steps in lost wax, which are much more sturdy than the plastic ones I tried at first when building my jeeps.

I'll be most interested to see how other folk use these etches. My focus at present is getting a layout up and running.

Colm

You threw me Horsetan with your AGW but I now realise you were referring to Allan Gibson Model Railway Products.

This is a list of parts I think I would need;

Chimney, dome, safety valves, whistle, smokebox door, buffers, boiler bands, washout plugs, steam heating pipes, vacuum pipes, smokebox door handle, backhead, steps, coupling hook and top feed.

I’m sure there are many others and I would welcome any advice on which chimney, dome etc. would be needed to complete this model.

Yes, Alan Gibson does a good range of detailing parts;

Chimney was I think an Ivatt/Fairburn pattern very similar to the smaller 2-6-0 by that engineer. I have left the original Fowler ones on my Jeeps but that isn't  strictly correct.

Dome is I think as per Fowler

Top feed - I have used that for the Black Five, I think it was a standard design across a large number of LMS locos.

I have managed to track down some Derby drawing numbers for the "WT" at the National Railway Museum's "Search Engine", and it might be possible to order copies (though bear in mind that each copy costs a lot of money!):

16824 - Arrangement of G8AS boiler (modified)

16825 - Arrangement of firebox (modified)

16864 - Arrangement of frame

16865 - Arrangement of cab, tanks and bunker

16868 - Bunker and rear tanks

16869 - Ashpan

16870 - Pipe and rod arrangement

16871 - Pipe and rod - end views

16872 - Arrangement of brake shafts and carriers

16877 - Regulator

16881 - Fabricated bogie

16882 - Bogie general arrangement

16909 - Brake pull rods

16914 - Leading pony truck arrangement

16938 - Smokebox

16942 - Smokebox saddle

16962 - Boiler clothing

• 2 weeks later...

Here's pictures of the etches, one thing that surprised me were the rivets. I thought these would have been left to the modeller to punch out with dimples on the back for their location.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Nelson

Looks reasonably good the use of overlays for cab tanks and bunker and boiler and firebox wrappers included in the kit.

On the negative side it looks like the builder will have to separate the inner cab/tank bunker sides as they do not appear to have been etched through on the fret.

Edited by John M

Here's pictures of the etches, one thing that surprised me were the rivets....

Having another look at those - to some eyes they may come across as a bit heavy. Maybe press-out ones might have achieved a neater result, but rivet pressing can drive some people mad.

• 1 month later...

Got my etches at last.  Below is some pictures of the two etches you get and a guess at what each part is.

There are some missing spaces, can you fill in the blanks and offer any amendments please.

post-12350-0-22134000-1539865611_thumb.jpg

post-12350-0-70631600-1539865622_thumb.jpg

Worsley Works WT Class 4mm Etches   

Etch 1

Footplate

Cab rear underlay

‘Pipes’ joining front & rear tanks (behind steps)

“for over raised back of chassis”

Cab rear overlay

Tank & Sides underlay

“inner top bunker sides”

“rear lamp brackets”

Rear Tank Top , sloping

Cab front inner

Front frame

Front lower footplate

Step

Steps

Cab roof hatch

Etch 2

Tank overlay

Tank inner sides

Rear bunker sides

Cab front –to aid boiler mounting

Cab roof

Cab front

Sliding window & roof vents

Smokebox overlay

Smokebox underlay

Boiler

Firebox

“inner coal hopper bottom, fold to match the lines on the inner sides”

Smokebox saddle 

Thank you for creating the list Kirely, very helpful.

Today I came across this thread, albeit in 2mm it did help me grasp how things should hopefully go together, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/128847-fowler-2-6-4t-in-2mm-finescale/?p=2955155

Also, apparently the Worley works kit was spotted at the scalefour exhibition, so wonder if anyone took any photos?