Green class 40

jprp

• RMweb Premium

From when the 'D' was removed post 1968 [some locos retained them several years after that] until it was repainted and/or given TOPS number post 1973. There were green 40's in this condition in the North West up to the 1972/3 period.

Just to add, 40039 was scrapped in green (albeit TOPS numbered).

I have a photo of my uncle somewhere, he's hanging out of the droplight of 389 (I think) and the pic is dated 1972.

Both uncle and loco were allox Springs Branch.

Also, 40136 was the last 40 in green to be repainted blue, another SP machine and thus its repaint made 40106 the celebrity it is to this day.

Just to add, 40039 was scrapped in green (albeit TOPS numbered).

I have a photo of my uncle somewhere, he's hanging out of the droplight of 389 (I think) and the pic is dated 1972.

Both uncle and loco were allox Springs Branch.

Also, 40136 was the last 40 in green to be repainted blue, another SP machine and thus its repaint made 40106 the celebrity it is to this day.

I remember 40 106 in green charging past New Lane doing upward of line speed in the 1970's with Orangeman-Apprentice Boy specials to Southport and going not so fast when on the coal hoppers also to Southport if not in charge of a class 25.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

Yes, that was after the celebrity repaint, which was 1978 IIRC. The original 1978 repaint omitted the light grey band at the top of the bodyside, but by the time of the above image it had been applied.

• RMweb Premium

Green class 40 with full yellow ends and numbered 337, is this an interim pre-tops livery or an end of life "Celebrity" livery? When did it run in these colours?

I saw number 337 in Carlisle in early 1973 in green with full yellow front ends and in poor external condition. See link below. Most class 40s were by this time in corporate blue livery.

Regards

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140929691@N05/43220101352/in/dateposted-public/

Edited by 64B