Has anyone else experienced any problems in obtaining coach kits from MARC Models recently?  In the past, I have found Mike Radford very reliable and helpful to deal with on ordering his kits within a reasonable time but I have had much difficulty in recent months with a number of items from his SR EMU  and Silver Jubilee ranges some of which have  been on order (and fully paid for) for 18 months. He seems very evasive when asked for an estimation of a delivery date although his website appears to be active advertising his full range of kits with no indication of any delays in production/delivery. I believe that he has a number of health issues so I am reluctant to pressurise him too hard but I would be interested to hear of any others with similar experience . 

• 2 months later...

I paid for a Thompson BZ kit via Paypal back in June this year and dispite numerous emails I still haven't seen it. Michael explained via email that he had some medical issues and wanted to resolve it but with no action.

Very disappointing as I love the look of this kit

I paid for a Thompson BZ kit via Paypal back in June this year and dispite numerous emails I still haven't seen it. Michael explained via email that he had some medical issues and wanted to resolve it but with no action.

Sadly when it's gone on this long a refund or PayPal dispute/refund ( you only have 6 months to claim) is the only way forward. This seems to be continuing and worrying  problem with a number of dealers in the Model Railway world and elsewhere.

Pay by Credit Card only then you have protection from such incidents.

Edited by micklner

• RMweb Premium

Cancel before the 6 months is up in order to reclaim your money, then re-order again which'll give you a whole new 6 months....

p.s.  Wishing the owner all the best, however If he's well enough to email you then he's well enough to do a paypal refund; he can email again at a later date if the situation changes.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 1

Pay by Credit Card only then you have protection from such incidents.

They (or at least TSB, the only time I have had issues) refuse to help after 3 months... so much for protection. I like to give people benefit of the doubt, and in my mind the protection should only start after 3 months!

They (or at least TSB, the only time I have had issues) refuse to help after 3 months... so much for protection. I like to give people benefit of the doubt, and in my mind the protection should only start after 3 months!

Use PayPal then its 6 months !!!!

Use PayPal then its 6 months !!!!

All very well but Mike Radford's website has relatively recently stated that he no longer accepts payment by PayPal!  Unfortunately, I paid by direct Bank Transfer which, in the past, has always worked satisfactorily and delivery has been prompt.

All very well but Mike Radford's website has relatively recently stated that he no longer accepts payment by PayPal!  Unfortunately, I paid by direct Bank Transfer which, in the past, has always worked satisfactorily and delivery has been prompt.

A quite sad state of affairs. No one should wait 18 months for anything they order. It almost seems that as it relates Model Railways, then some people are happy to wait ridiculous lengths of time for paid for items. The current retail world are having huge problems relating to finances, Model Railways suppliers etc are no different. Unless I now have security for my money and the knowledge that I can get a refund if needed, I simply won't use them anymore. The crazy situation is you can buy a secondhand or a new item of eBay and similar , pay via Paypal and you know you are safe. Buy from normal retailers and you then take a chance on ever seeing anything arrive.

In this case he may or not be ill, in which case he should get someone to step in and refund customers, for all the monies for outstanding orders, or least at a minimum respond to messages in any form they are received in from customers.  Sadly it does make you begin to wonder why now he won't accept PayPal ?? he can't say the cost of the  fees, as they could be include in the actual price or the Paypal fee added to the purchase price at the time of the transaction. If he has problems (of any kind)  then that should be stated on his webpage.

There have been in the recent past, similar reports relating to Coopercraft , Falcon Brass, Shawplan and now Marc Models , there maybe without others as well that I am not aware off, its simply not good enough .

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
On 09/11/2018 at 19:47, Mark Hamlin said:

I did eventually get a refund from PayPal and brought the Comet kit from Wizard. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Mark.  I am pleased to learn that you managed to secure a refund via PayPal and managed to find an alternative source for your kit.  I have not been so fortunate and numerous requests for a refund via email and letter have been ignored as has a CCJ.  Let this be a warning to other would-be customers.

• Friendly/supportive 2

I was planning on buying the Night Ferry stock a while ago. But I was put off by the prices. When they were available from Model Rail the coaches were about £40 to £50. Now they are £115. I don't know any other kit manufacturer who has increased prices to that extent in the same time period. Some may have gone up in the last ten years, but usually by a few pounds, not doubling the price. Comet kits for example have gone up by about a fiver.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Is there anyone from the MARC models team that is helping Mike reading this? I too have tried phone and emails, so a letter is next. 

Please contact me if at all possible. Thanks Ian MacCormac in Blackpool 

On 07/05/2019 at 08:51, truffy said:

This is bad news. MARC Models have Schools class smoke deflectors and mail coaches that I'd be interested in, if only I could trust them :(

You should be aware that MARC Models are down to be at EXPO EM next weekend at Bracknell. If there is something that you especially want, then why not 'phone Mike on 0208-440-5918 and ask him to bring the items you want along - Alternatively, try the same just prior to RAILEX at Stoke Mandeville which he is also down to be at. MARC Models and its [now merged] sister 7mm organisation "Electrifying Trains" have never been anything other than one-man bands. There is no "MARC Models' team".

Over the past six years I have drawn etches and designed casting patterns for Mike. Potential customers should be aware that Mike has some significant health issues of quite recent onset which have lead to delays in fulfilling orders.

Personally, I would always enquire regarding availability via telephone and not release funds until the items have arrived. 

15 hours ago, Arun Sharma said:

You should be aware that MARC Models are down to be at EXPO EM next weekend at Bracknell. If there is something that you especially want, then why not 'phone Mike on 0208-440-5918 and ask him to bring the items you want along - Alternatively, try the same just prior to RAILEX at Stoke Mandeville which he is also down to be at.

Thanks, but I live in Switzerland, so a visit is not very practical, I'm afraid. Otherwise, I would do exactly as you suggest :good_mini:

I wonder if it might assist potential purchasers of MARC Models' items if I mentioned that Mike is 83 years old and telephone calls work rather better than e-mails to his slightly flaky terminal/internet connection.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I spoke with a couple of individuals recently who know Mike well; unfortunately his health is now such that anyone contemplating placing orders should bear in mind there is a very real risk of loss.  Please be aware of this.

Edited by polybear
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/05/2019 at 03:51, truffy said:

This is bad news. MARC Models have Schools class smoke deflectors and mail coaches that I'd be interested in, if only I could trust them :(

I have a spare set of Schools deflectors you can have gratis if you still need them

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I hope the person who waited 18 months have by now received their items, but sad to say things are now worse and I have been waiting 3 1/2 years for mine, fully paid for. He keep promising to send. Not sure what to do next. Does anybody live close to Barnet who can try to get them from him, we live in Derbyshire. Sent him a letter two weeks ago by recorded delivery, which was signed for by a Radford. Phoned last night and he asked me to repeat the information as could not read the letter. His health is poor I accept, he says he has nobody to help him. In these circumstances what recourse do we have in law.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, suerose said:

I hope the person who waited 18 months have by now received their items, but sad to say things are now worse and I have been waiting 3 1/2 years for mine, fully paid for. He keep promising to send. Not sure what to do next. Does anybody live close to Barnet who can try to get them from him, we live in Derbyshire. Sent him a letter two weeks ago by recorded delivery, which was signed for by a Radford. Phoned last night and he asked me to repeat the information as could not read the letter. His health is poor I accept, he says he has nobody to help him. In these circumstances what recourse do we have in law.

I suspect your only recourse in this instance would be (a) another registered letter stating goods or refund within x weeks, followed by (b) small claims court action and debt recovery.

• Agree 3

I intend to wait till the end of the month as he said he was going in hospital but this will the umpteenth time he has said it. Will telephone with the same ultimatum as he claimed unable to read the last letter I wrote which was done on the computer not handwritten. Then a you say down to the small claim court. I hope this will be resolved, but am seriously doubting that I will ever see anything, and I at £1250 it was not a small order.

Thanks, Sue

• Friendly/supportive 2

I know & have dealt with Marc in the past, sadly I do know of his health problems. ( I keep in touch with his show helper 'Alan' )

The reason Marc can not read the letter & no one is around to help is because he has alzheimer's or dementia - I can't remember which sorry. ( This will play in to effect with the response people get ) 

Unfortunate like few people I have lost an order now for few bits, I doubt I will ever see.

Good luck if you do take him to small claims

• Friendly/supportive 2