For 7-8 years I used to make master patterns and draw etch designs for Mike in both his "Electrifying Trains" and "Marc Models" guises. This was until just over a year ago when he suddenly appeared not to recognise me and we spent an uncomfortable day on adjacent stands at the December 2018 Reading O gauge show without him saying a single word to me. The odd occasion thereafter, we have spoken on the phone but his short term memory is very flaky and halfway through a call, he will drift away and not remember what or who he is talking to/about. 

I'm no lawyer but I believe that if taken to court, he would be found unfit to sensibly answer any questions.

His family have spoken to the primary external agencies that did casting and etching for him so that he cannot get into [deep[er]] financial difficulties by ordering materials that will never be processed into coaches etc., but few records exist [or are accessible] it seems regarding what his current and/or unfulfilled commitments to other modellers are.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Arun Sharma said:

I'm no lawyer but I believe that if taken to court, he would be found unfit to sensibly answer any questions.

His family have spoken to the primary external agencies that did casting and etching for him so that he cannot get into [deep[er]] financial difficulties by ordering materials that will never be processed into coaches etc., but few records exist [or are accessible] it seems regarding what his current and/or unfulfilled commitments to other modellers are.

It's often the case that for small claims procedures no actual appearance in court is required - it's often simply a paperwork exercise so far as I am aware.  It may well be that Mike simply doesn't enter a defence, given his sad predicament - in which case it is likely that the court would rule in the claimant's favour.  However, that would still leave recovery of the debt - which of course assumes that there are funds to do so....

It would be useful if a member of his family could post on here, asking if any person owed outstanding items could contact them via private message (with copies of supporting evidence etc.) indicating what is outstanding/sums involved etc.  That would at least help the situation for some at least (receipt of goods or refund).

(p.s. I have no outstanding orders, fortunately).   

The family are now in a position to sort out financial affairs. I have had a full refund. You are unlikely to receive orders, but would suggest that you maybe able to get your money refunded. 

I would suggest a letter by recorded delivery to Mike which will be then picked up by his family. Include a telephone number so you can be contacted. It is really sad.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

17 hours ago, suerose said:

The family are now in a position to sort out financial affairs. I have had a full refund. You are unlikely to receive orders, but would suggest that you maybe able to get your money refunded. 

I would suggest a letter by recorded delivery to Mike which will be then picked up by his family. Include a telephone number so you can be contacted. It is really sad.

Thank you very much for your posting Sue from which I was very pleased to learn that you have received a full refund. As the instigator of this thread with a high value order of nearly £600 still outstanding since March 2017 and similar communication problems with Mike to yourself   I will do exactly as you suggest. It is a very sad state of affairs.  I have been a satisfied customer of Mike since 2003, he used to be so helpful and approachable and his kits were of superb quality prior to his health issues.

Edited by SouthernFan
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am pleased to confirm Sue's findings that Mike's family are now sorting out his financial affairs.  I too have received a full refund after submitting details of my orders addressed to Mike in the first instance.  I suggest that others in a similar situation to Sue and myself do the same. A shame about the non-availability of Mike's kits though.  While I am able to find an alternative source for a Silver Jubilee set I will be struggling to find a SR 4-BUF EMU set.   I do hope that someone out there will be able to take over Mike's business.  

Thank you for your advice Sue and to RMWeb for providing the vehicle by which these postings may be shared with others in the model railway community.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, broseley28 said:

Why doesn't he  pack it in and let a younger person have a go? I'm in Tasmania, don't  they have pensions over there? 

Perhaps because he's been enjoying it all these years (and hopefully still does) but sad events with Mike's health has made it difficult/impossible for him to run a business anymore?  There's nothing whatsoever to stop a younger person setting up in business anyway - Mike's not stopping that.  All that person needs is knowledge, ability, time, dedication....

• Like 2

The big problem in sorting out the business, is unravelling the mess it got into

as dementia set in. Unfortunately, when asked where something is, the answer

is either where he left it last year, or blaming someone else for hiding it.

Once the 'big, black book' is found, things will progress at a better rate.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, broseley28 said:

Why doesn't he  pack it in and let a younger person have a go? I'm in Tasmania, don't  they have pensions over there? 

From what I have read above, the legal situation may preclude that happening anytime soon.

Unless his family arranged power of attorney before he became ill, they will have to go through a lengthy court procedure before being able to get control of the business and financial affairs. That would be bad enough usually but, at the moment, due to Covid the Courts are not sitting and a huge backlog of such cases is building up. 

One of my colleagues is caught up in this at the moment with a sick relative and it is imposing huge strains on the family.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

From what I have read above, the legal situation may preclude that happening anytime soon.

Unless his family arranged power of attorney before he became ill, they will have to go through a lengthy court procedure before being able to get control of the business and financial affairs. That would be bad enough usually but, at the moment, due to Covid the Courts are not sitting and a huge backlog of such cases is building up. 

One of my colleagues is caught up in this at the moment with a sick relative and it is imposing huge strains on the family.

Not to mention the high cost of arranging non concensual power of attorney.

Mike.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Not to mention the problems of finding a buyer, valuing the business, handing over a business to someone else, explaining all the in's and out's, where things are, how they work, business contacts, etched parts spread across numerous masters....

Ask Phil at C&L - he's a fair idea of just how hard it can be to pick up someone else's business....

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, broseley28 said:

I sincerely appologise for my comments regarding Marcway and any upset they have caused.

No problem.  We've all been there, done that

and got the books and teeshirts to prove it

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 4 months later...

That is a great shame regarding Mikes health, in the last 12 months I had a go at my first Brass kit in 7mm and following that in 4mm. I found a lot of modelling had become open to me. Today I spent a lot of time looking through and weighing up the cost of building one of the MARC Models Silver Jubilee Sets. Even to the extent of phoning tomorrow and ask regarding the quality as in the BRM issue of 2012 the kit showed no beading and I wanted to know if this was present on the current kit.

From personal experience, this disease is cruel!  

So, unfortunately I will have to shelve this idea for the Silver Jubilee as I do not know where else to look ( with exception of Wizard Models who have sold out of this kit) if anyone can help that would be fantastic of you!

Thank you

Tom

Edited by Norton Wood
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/01/2021 at 21:53, micklner said:

Set listed here, you will still need roof, bogies etc to add to the overall price.

http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/4mm/4mm_LNER.htm

There website was having a few issues at the time, the kit is readily available!

Yes, I have been working out with a friend the process to build this set of coaches, the loco builder on You Tube who is also on RM Web who has an excellent process in which to build these coaches and I'll be looking to follow the same process. Luckily for me, I've been working on brass kits for a while now so we shall see how it goes. Slow and Steady. 

Thank you 

Tom 

• 3 weeks later...