Estuary coastal layout based on Southern Railway Barnstaple

AdeMoore

• RMweb Premium

As above really been searching this area of the forum.

I’m not 100% I even saw it here but from memory someone had come with a small docks or seaside estuary station with a siding or two. That then ran out over the water on piers for a viaduct. Or down a girder pier maybe. Along with some prototype photos of this structure I think?

Ring any bells to anyone.

Cheers

Ade

Edit 7th Sept edited topic title to place location and direction topic has become.

Edited by AdeMoore

• RMweb Premium

Thanks SS but no I think not, as this was one from memory that was imagined as a suggestion to another fellow Weber. It may well have been in a thread where off topic discussions start. I really can’t remember I can just remember thinking nice idea that bookmark it now I can’t find it.

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Phil but no, obviously not one you’ve come up with then! Shame as when I was searching this topic your designs come up frequently.

I think now it could of been a tail chaser from station/dock it headed out over the estuary on a viaduct on reaching the far bank it headed inland to a tunnel then did the rabbit warren/fiddleyard and back out after a loop out of sight. The estuary went well into the board and wrapped around the dock/station on 3 sides.

Still looking I’ll find it or redraw what I remember.

Cheers

Ade

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Spent far to long trying to find it. I’ve come up with my own.

This is my project of a lifetime realistically 2 layouts time 7 or 8 years away!

I like planning though.

BARNSTAPLE QUAY.

I plan to represent somehow the station much further out of town or at least the river Taw crossing as I want a long viaduct over an estuary. Based on the river Tavy Viaduct mixed with Barmouth.post-32910-0-74709800-1535332303_thumb.jpegpost-32910-0-05844300-1535332342.jpegpost-32910-0-18527300-1535332358.jpegpost-32910-0-41872000-1535332368_thumb.jpeg

Tavy being 3rd and 4th photos.

So the vision is Braunton will connect via hidden fiddle Yard with Bideford. Then Barnstable south bank complete with goods yards, will also connect with both Bideford and Braunton via a hidden crossover loop. thinking aloud. It’s developing in my head time to sketch something any recommendations for an iPad?

Cheers

Ade

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ade,

It sounds great - could be spectacular!

You could try Affinity Designer on the iPad or one of the online layout design apps but if you want to be accurate then it would be better to use a desktop app, IMHO.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ade,

It sounds great - could be spectacular!

You could try Affinity Designer on the iPad or one of the online layout design apps but if you want to be accurate then it would be better to use a desktop app, IMHO.

Thanks Phil, it gets better I was only aware of the two stations at Barnstaple but looking on Scotland’s Libary Maps the great resource for old maps. I see now the south station is Barnstaple Junction with a triangle just south leading to the GWR station! I’ll have to include that to!

No desktop I’m afraid so I’ll have a look at Affinity.

Cheers

Ade

i am hols there at the moment (barmouth )

check rails all the way from the tunnel mouth to the other side 

on the wooden part the rails are raised and the check rails are higher than the running rails 

will take some pics whilst i am here and post some 

brm magazine aug 2017 has a layout feature on barmouth station 

Edited by lambretta

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ade,

I did this in N-gauge some time ago, not sure if its what you're referring to.

This was built in N-gauge would like to build this in OO at some time, would look quite something I reckon:-

post-6745-0-90671400-1535885177.jpg

Full thread below:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98047-so-youre-going-to-buy-a-train-set-update-18072015/?p=1958122

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ade,

I did this in N-gauge some time ago, not sure if its what you're referring to.

This was built in N-gauge would like to build this in OO at some time, would look quite something I reckon:-

attachicon.gifseaside excursion.jpg

Full thread below:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98047-so-youre-going-to-buy-a-train-set-update-18072015/?p=1958122

Cheers

Ian

Ian I like it thanks for sharing, afraid to say but mine is far more ambitious! I’ll post some ideas!

• RMweb Premium

Ok Taw estuary is the setting LSWR and GWR.

I’ve not scaled it to see what would be possible, I do know I’ll never have a space big enough so it’ll be essence of.

Tracks very roughly. The one following the bank under the words River Taw is wrong I thought on old map a railway line wrong!

post-32910-0-23252700-1535921209_thumb.jpeg

Out to the estuary. Again ignore the line on the lower bank of the Taw crossing under the Bideford line to Bideford my mistake.

post-32910-0-10323200-1535921545_thumb.jpeg

A photo from Britain from Above the bridge appears to have a tower and suspension only on the right this in fact the railway behind the bridge curving away to the right bank and station.

post-32910-0-14373100-1535921808_thumb.png

Today’s view ish!

post-32910-0-68495000-1535921866_thumb.png

So the plan no river crossing in the town! But a direct link from Bideford and Barnstaple Junction to Ilfracombe was needed so a Barmouth type viaduct was called for crossing the estuary much further out. Later they added a spur back to Town Station when that was later built.

post-32910-0-16721100-1535922632_thumb.jpeg

A lot of town to be modelled which I would but more fields than town when compressed.

post-32910-0-78907100-1535922845_thumb.jpeg

These are the maps of the lines etc. Not sure on date, I’d be looking 50s maybe from The Scottish Libary 60spost-32910-0-04303800-1535923025_thumb.jpegpost-32910-0-91530000-1535923038_thumb.jpeg

Wadaya think?

Cheers

Ade

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great ambition!

To make it realistically do-able it might be worth considering all the features and possible options with a really critical eye and ruthlessly throw out anything not strictly necessary - boil it down to something more concentrated.

E.g. LSWR station on one side of the water, GWR on the other (with triangle), with just one long bridge between them, perhaps?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Great ambition!

To make it realistically do-able it might be worth considering all the features and possible options with a really critical eye and ruthlessly throw out anything not strictly necessary - boil it down to something more concentrated.

E.g. LSWR station on one side of the water, GWR on the other (with triangle), with just one long bridge between them, perhaps?

Your probably bang on there Phil. Oh for a massive shed and a shed of cash to do the whole thing.

• RMweb Premium

the track over barmouth bridge leads to a narrow gauge railway so that could throw up interesting options

Very much so and with the prototype Barnstaple Town it had the Narrow Gauge to Lynton and Barnstaple Railway! Maybe just maybe.

I’m resisting the urge to get the lining paper out and see what’s possible!

I’m telling myself I must I must build Bredon and Masbury before getting to this!

I have nothing to add that will be of any help at all but a fit nostalgia made me comment.

The Barnstaple maps and plans bring back memories of when I was a kid going by train from Exeter to Barnstaple to visit relatives and what a railway heaven it was. Going over the river bridge form Barnstaple Junction to Barnstaple town was pretty scary for a youngster as the Bullied pacifics always looked like they would come off on the curve and fall in the river! As a lad brought up in Devon it makes me cry to look at a modern railway map of the county and compare it with the 1950s - you could be forgiven for thinking nobody lives there now! At least as railway modellers we can keep some memories alive and lessen the pain of the Beeching vandalisation. So go to it young man!

• RMweb Premium

I have nothing to add that will be of any help at all but a fit nostalgia made me comment.

The Barnstaple maps and plans bring back memories of when I was a kid going by train from Exeter to Barnstaple to visit relatives and what a railway heaven it was. Going over the river bridge form Barnstaple Junction to Barnstaple town was pretty scary for a youngster as the Bullied pacifics always looked like they would come off on the curve and fall in the river! As a lad brought up in Devon it makes me cry to look at a modern railway map of the county and compare it with the 1950s - you could be forgiven for thinking nobody lives there now! At least as railway modellers we can keep some memories alive and lessen the pain of the Beeching vandalisation. So go to it young man!

JST thanks so much for the comment, you can’t beat someone’s first hand recollection of the way it was. You have added to the topic/thread thanks for taking the trouble.

Cheers

Ade

• RMweb Premium

A small selection of images I’ve grabbed from Farcebook.

Looking back to the south bank

post-32910-0-36533000-1536279478_thumb.jpeg

To Bideford left arch to viaduct and Barnstaple Town right arch.

post-32910-0-20834000-1536279497_thumb.jpegpost-32910-0-37966500-1536279513_thumb.jpeg

Barnstaple Junction Station the one that remains today.

post-32910-0-94849000-1536279531_thumb.jpeg

Barnstaple Town after closure

post-32910-0-12758500-1536279550_thumb.jpeg

257 Squadron coming off the viaduct heading for Barnstaple Junction

post-32910-0-96583300-1536279569_thumb.jpeg

Viaduct looking north towards Barnstaple Town next 2 photos

post-32910-0-37981400-1536279591_thumb.jpegpost-32910-0-43216000-1536279616_thumb.jpeg

Barnstaple Junction is on the left, the line to Barnstaple Town curves across the middle top of the photo in a pleasing S reverse curve to the river viaduct. The extensive goods yard is the middle of the photo links to the branch below Barnstaple Junction not far from the link to the GWR station.

post-32910-0-75557600-1536279637_thumb.jpegpost-32910-0-64943500-1536279656.jpeg

Giving me more a sense of the place, anyone know the diameter of the column supports on the girder bridge with the x between the two columns?

Cheers

Ade

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Ade - looks like a great project! :-)

I fancy the locations for similar reasons, a great excuse to mix GWR and SR models without making excuses ;-)

Do the SRS diagrams for Banstaple Town and Banstaple Junction help at all?

Town = https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/srq/S3520.htm

Junction East = https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/srq/S3517.htm

Junction West = https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/srq/S3518.htm

Does anyone know if the station buildings are GWR or SR styles?

Shame about the price of 009 models though (for the Lynton narrow-gauge part)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello Ade - looks like a great project! :-)

I fancy the locations for similar reasons, a great excuse to mix GWR and SR models without making excuses ;-)

Do the SRS diagrams for Banstaple Town and Banstaple Junction help at all?

Town = https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/srq/S3520.htm

Junction East = https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/srq/S3517.htm

Junction West = https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/srq/S3518.htm

Does anyone know if the station buildings are GWR or SR styles?

Shame about the price of 009 models though (for the Lynton narrow-gauge part)

Thanks for that Keith very nice, shame they are £24.00 each, they are no doubt on tinterweb somewhere free.

I’d gladly pay but £24 is a bit OTT.

Station buildings I may be corrected but Victoria Road is/was GWR dates from 1873 when it was the Devon and Somerset.

Barnstaple Junction I’ve read two dates 1854 and 1855 when it was the North Devon Railway later taken over by the LSWR in 1865.

The station was enlarged and became known as Barnstaple Junction on 20 July 1874 (Wiki)

Barnstaple Town dates from 1898 and also LSWR.

But the Southern is what I’m interested in after LSWR days.

As for Lynton that is another option as and when and if the time ever comes!

Better start saving now!

Cheers